Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

1 members and 3,452 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Is It Possible To Make a Profit in 4 Years?

Is it possible to make a profit in only four years with a couple males and a few females?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

No

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

CptJack (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    I've looked into this... Short answer is that unless you are smarter than the smartest person I've ever met I would say no. I'm sure that there is some rainmaker person out there that could learn all the morphs in a sitting and then pick the perfect pairs based off of a billion variables and make a profit mega fast.

I haven't bred yet but I have spent some time crunching numbers. I've also researched a lot about snakes lately and the one thing that I seem to keep learning is how much more there is to learn. So there is also the learning aspect of it from the business side and from the actual snake expertise side of it. You need very good knowledge in both areas and that doesn't come over night and for some it will never come because of any number of reasons.

Define what you mean by profit also because some people could look at it different. If you tally every penny spent from day one until the day that your books are in the green then at a normal pace assuming you're not going at this like Donald Trump then year 4 would be where the curve starts to level out and maybe tip upwards (but I doubt it) but still in the red. That question actually hurts my brain so if you could elaborate more that would help. What male and what females are we talking about? Are you asking using the model 2 males and 4 females then which snakes would make the most ROI and how long would it take? What if one gets sick? What if the female lays duds? What if you get bad luck and hatch all normals? What if the quality isn't good and you can only sell locally on craigslist? Like I said too many variables and I'd still say no.
    Last edited by alan12013; 07-11-2014 at 10:42 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

Tarzan152 (07-12-2014)

Thanks

Re: Is It Possible To Make a Profit in 4 Years?

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post

No
    Ok

Thanks
    There are too many variables but with your plan outline ...no

With careful planning and a solid business plan, you can break even...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    I've looked into this... Short answer is that unless you are smarter than the smartest person I've ever met I would say no. I'm sure that there is some rainmaker person out there that could learn all the morphs in a sitting and then pick the perfect pairs based off of a billion variables and make a profit mega fast.

I haven't bred yet but I have spent some time crunching numbers. I've also researched a lot about snakes lately and the one thing that I seem to keep learning is how much more there is to learn. So there is also the learning aspect of it from the business side and from the actual snake expertise side of it. You need very good knowledge in both areas and that doesn't come over night and for some it will never come because of any number of reasons.

Define what you mean by profit also because some people could look at it different. If you tally every penny spent from day one until the day that your books are in the green then at a normal pace assuming you're not going at this like Donald Trump then year 4 would be where the curve starts to level out and maybe tip upwards (but I doubt it) but still in the red. That question actually hurts my brain so if you could elaborate more that would help. What male and what females are we talking about? Are you asking using the model 2 males and 4 females then which snakes would make the most ROI and how long would it take? What if one gets sick? What if the female lays duds? What if you get bad luck and hatch all normals? What if the quality isn't good and you can only sell locally on craigslist? Like I said too many variables and I'd still say no.
    So I was thinking about getting two or three multi gene males (Lesser Bee, Pewter, BEL, Lemonblast) and breeding them to some mature single gene females that would produce some unique morphs that aren't produced often. I guess my question is, can I make a profit (in two years when males mature) off of about eight to ten clutches? I know there would be problems like you mentioned, but is it possible? The reason for being limited to four years is, in four years, future circumstances will keep me from breeding until about two years later. Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    There are too many variables but with your plan outline ...no

With careful planning and a solid business plan, you can break even...
    That would be great if I could break even, because the real reason I want to breed is for fun. I'm fine with a hobby that pays for itself!

Thanks

Also, alan12013, by profit I don't mean enough money to live off of. I just want to do something fun and make a few bucks off of it.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BPavery View Post
    So I was thinking about getting two or three multi gene males (Lesser Bee, Pewter, BEL, Lemonblast) and breeding them to some mature single gene females that would produce some unique morphs that aren't produced often. I guess my question is, can I make a profit (in two years when males mature) off of about eight to ten clutches? I know there would be problems like you mentioned, but is it possible? The reason for being limited to four years is, in four years, future circumstances will keep me from breeding until about two years later. Thanks for your help!
    You would then be producing base morphs that everyone already produces as fallout to trying to produce multigenes.
    This also doesn't include the vast amounts of normal you would produce and take a loss on.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 07-11-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You would then be producing base morphs that everyone already produces as fallout to trying to produce multigenes.
    This also doesn't include the vast amounts of normal you would produce and take a loss on.
    On top of this... If you breed and sell morphs you can get away with selling very common morphs like the bumble bee that are not high quality at all locally if your market can handle 200-300 dollar price tags. Trying to sell a more rare morph you will be selling to a different audience and they will actually care about quality so assume you did buy quality to start with... after calculating for SOME of the variables you still would not come close to a profit but you would get some nice cash flow back from your hobby.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast