Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,153

4 members and 3,149 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

what to do about infertile eggs and mold

Hello BP.net community!!! Thanks in advance for your views, input and comments!!!

I have a question on whether or not I should try to separate my eggs since the infertile ones are getting mold on them, or should I just do my best to fight the mold.

My first clutch of the year was 8 eggs from my green pastel female (2011 from Bailey) on 6/29/14. I candled them and 4 out of the 8 are infertile. I didn't get to them before they all got stuck together so I put all of them in the egg box. Today (12 days in) I noticed mold on the bottom of all of the infertile eggs and the infertile boob egg is starting to smell. I looked at some old post and one said to clean the mold off and use anti-fungal powder or cream so I did.

I followed the thread for "How to set up an egg tub" (press and seal and all) and while my humidity was stable at 90% and I incubate at 86-87(I know others do 89 but lower temps work for me). I think my vermiculite was to wet (totally my fault), so I did a 1:1 ratio this time by weight.

So should I try to separate them to save the good eggs or will I hurt them by trying to save them?

0:2 normal bp's
    0:1 lesser
    0:1 greenpastels(lace black back)
    1:2 pastels
    1:0 pinstripes
    1:0 blackpastels
    1:0 mojaves
    1:0 spiders
    Last edited by treachery; 07-11-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: left something out

Thanks

Re: what to do about infertile eggs and mold

I believe you are supposed to remove the good eggs from the infertile eggs in the beginning for this same reason. In the most recent snake bytes episode, Bryan talks about it because by leaving the infertile eggs you risk the infertile ones rotting and hurting the good ones. I would believe that you could still remove them now without hurting the eggs as long as you don't spin the embryo around, however hopefully someone else can chime in to be 100% sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to colton62 For This Useful Post:

treachery (07-13-2014)

Thanks
    many people seperate all eggs always, some people leave them together.

but i think (warning: im no expert) that infertile eggs or eggs going bad always have to be removed. the people that incubate entire clutches together in one pile or that leave some eggs stuck together generally only seem to do that with healthy eggs. generally what always happens is that people judge the eggs and categorize them as good eggs, and doubtful eggs that might or might not be good, and infertile eggs / slugs. and the slugs get discarded immediately.

what i dont know how to do this now, how attached are the eggs to each other? i am sure that pictures would help a lot.

since you say mold is spreading and some healthy eggs may be impacted and others may be fine, i say seperate them all, if that is possible.

and dont feel too bad if things go wrong, it happens. eggs already make it easy. unfortunately yes, i think at this point you might hurt them by trying to save them. another reason why pictures would help a lot.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

treachery (07-13-2014)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Now its will be a total pain to remove the bad ones.
    If you are slow and careful you can get them apart but you risk damaging the ones that are good.
    You also risk popping the bad ones........... you dont want to know that smell!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

treachery (07-13-2014)

Thanks

Re: what to do about infertile eggs and mold

I successfully remove the infertile eggs Friday night with no damage! Instead of just pulling them apart (having candled them half a dozen time) I just cut into the infertile eggs, cleaned the yolk away and slowly remove them with a razor. Today it was a little mold on just the small parts of where the infertile eggs were connected to the good ones but I guess I'll just watch them close and clean the mold with anti-fungal power as needed.

BPnet Veteran Coopers Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would also put them in a new tub with fresh substrate.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook