Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

0 members and 3,262 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Need a solution to maintain temperatures

Hi everyone!

I'm still relatively new to the world of snakes, I've had reptiles before but never a snake. Now that I have moved out of my parents house I have two. A normal, and a Fire ball. I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find the answer to in stickies or searching. (If my questions are answered in stickies and searches, I apologize...I'm blind haha.)

But anyway,

I have one tank set up in my closet (I took the doors off, and the tank is sitting on my dresser) and the other is DIRECTLY under my A/C vent. Probably isn't the smartest place to keep him but there wasn't much space for him anywhere else lol. My room mate and I like to keep the apartment at about 70 degrees F so it's pretty chilly in here sometimes. (both are glass 40 gallon tanks)

The problem i'm having is keeping my temperatures up. On both set-ups I have two 100w daytime heat lamps (I understand snakes don't need lights on the tank) those fixtures are over the cooler side of the tanks. On the warmer side of the tanks I have the Ultratherm heating mat. I believe the sizes of both heating mats are 17x11 at 30 Watts.

the bulbs seem to be putting out more heat than the heat mats. I have (on each) a digital temp gauge with a probe, and the zoomed temp gauge/humidity gauge.

as of right now its almost 9:00pm so theyre heat lamps are turned off and the digital temp gauge is reading about 77 degrees F on both and the zoomed gauges are about 72-73ish

the care sheet I read in the sticky said my tank shouldn't get below 75 degrees (If I remember correctly)

Mainly the problem i'm having is during the day. I can't get the temperatures up to the ambient temps, nor the basking temps. I'll try to turn off the A/C but my room mate always turns it back on so it's pointless to try and keep our apartment warm.

I'm not sure if my heat mats are big enough to bring the temps up to where my snakes would like them to be. The associate at my local pet store said the size of the heat mats should be fine, but if not he would exchange my smaller ones for bigger ones.

basically you all read that to read this lol

should I go the heat mat route?

or should I get 150w day heat bulbs, and two 75w night heat bulbs and use one of each for my snakes?

As i've said before, I'm pretty new at this still. Should I have two pythons? Honestly? No but when I saw my newest python I instantly grew emotionally attatched. My love for the two grow every day and I just want to take care of them both properly.

I appreciate everyone for taking the time out of their day to read about my problem and thank everyone for they're replies.
    Last edited by Crispy757; 07-10-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Didn't insert pictures properly

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Need a solution to maintain temperatures

Have you read a caresheet or a glass tank set-up guide? They'll be tremendously helpful in guiding you while you're learning about your two new friends!

Ball Python Caresheet: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s%29-Caresheet

Glass Tank Set-Up Guide: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...With-Pictures!

Welcome to the forums! Let us know if you have further questions once you've read the two links above!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Crispy757 (07-12-2014)

Thanks
    If you have a screen top it's best to cover half of it with something like a few sheets of aluminum foil. It helps keep the heat and humidity in. Do you have anything to measure humidity? You didn't mention it. I have a ceramic heat emitter(gives heat but no light) on my cold side to help keep the temps up and it works great. Also do you have a thermostat for your heat mat?
    Last edited by Drako21; 07-10-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python - Tom
    0.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boa - Jen
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Drake

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drako21 For This Useful Post:

Crispy757 (07-12-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drako21 View Post
    If you have a screen top it's best to cover half of it with something like a few sheets of aluminum foil. It helps keep the heat and humidity in. Do you have anything to measure humidity? You didn't mention it. I have a ceramic heat emitter(gives heat but no light) on my cold side to help keep the temps up and it works great. Also do you have a thermostat for your heat mat?
    Yes, I have have the zoomed temp gauge/humidity gauge 2 in 1 thats stuck on the glass. I just looked at a "how to set up a glass tank" sticky and I saw that the digital temp gauge probe is taped underneath the heat pad, so tomorrow I'm going to try that. That way I'll have 4 digital gauges giving me a more accurate temp.

I do not have a thermostat and the moment. Is it necessary? If so I'll have to wait another week to get 2 of them when I get paid. I made the mistake of buying everything at once including the snakes. Let's just say next time I'll be smarter about it.

If the heat mat isn't big enough for my tanks, will the thermostat raise the temperature of the heat mat?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy757 View Post
    If the heat mat isn't big enough for my tanks, will the thermostat raise the temperature of the heat mat?
    No, the thermostat will prevent the UTH from heating up to the point where your snake gets burned. It is the single most important piece of equipment you can have.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Crispy757 (07-12-2014),PitOnTheProwl (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Yes, I have have the zoomed temp gauge/humidity gauge 2 in 1 thats stuck on the glass. I just looked at a "how to set up a glass tank" sticky and I saw that the digital temp gauge probe is taped underneath the heat pad, so tomorrow I'm going to try that.
    Incorrect. The thermostat probe is taped underneath the heat pad (the Hygrofarm brand in the guide). The thermostat is the one that controls the temperature. A thermometer is what tells you what the temperature is (the Accurite brand one in the guide). Its probe is placed inside of your tank on top of the heat mat to tell you the temperature of the glass where your animals can actually touch. Please do not confuse the two and tape your thermometer probe underneath the heat pad, as they perform very different functions. On a similar note, please do not use anything sticky inside the tank itself. Adhesive + scales = a very scary situation.

I do not have a thermostat and the moment. Is it necessary? If so I'll have to wait another week to get 2 of them when I get paid. I made the mistake of buying everything at once including the snakes. Let's just say next time I'll be smarter about it.
    The thermostat is the most important piece of equipment you can buy for your animals. Without one, the heat mats can reach temperatures that are too hot for your snakes and potentially cause them harm. Yes, even the small heat mats. The set-up guide recommends a few different ones (depending on your price range) that will serve you well.

A thermostat will not raise the temperature any further than a heat mat by itself is capable of reaching. The size of the heat mat simply increases the size of the hot spot. Regardless of the heat mat chosen, they all require a thermostat to control their output.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 07-10-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Crispy757 (07-12-2014)

Thanks

Thermostats are absolutely. Neccessary. Right now your temps are way higher than you think. My guess is that hot spot is pushing 110 degrees. You should really Turn it off until you get that thermostat, otherwise you Will burn your snake if they get to the bottom and stay on that heat pad. It's summer, they will be fine for a few days without heat. Even if you just go buy a cheap temperature dialer at the pet store that will be fine for. NOw until you get a nice one.
    Last edited by kylearmbar; 07-10-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kylearmbar For This Useful Post:

Crispy757 (07-12-2014)

Thanks
    Or at the very least if you are strapped for cash at the moment you can hook the heat mat up to a dimmer so you can at least lower the temperature down to a safe level.
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python - Tom
    0.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boa - Jen
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Drake

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drako21 For This Useful Post:

Crispy757 (07-12-2014)

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm on my way right now to my local pet store to buy a thermostat. My only other question is, do I have to buy two seperate ones since I have two set ups? Or would I be able to get one and hook it up to both heat pads?

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your input. I'm on my way right now to my local pet store to buy a thermostat. My only other question is, do I have to buy two seperate ones since I have two set ups? Or would I be able to get one and hook it up to both heat pads?
    If they are the same size and brand of heat mat, you can plug the t-stat into the wall and a power strip into the t-stat then plug the heat mats into the power bar. HOWEVER, they must absolutely be the same brand and size of UTH, or they won't maintain the same temperature.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

Crispy757 (07-12-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast