Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,058

0 members and 2,058 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Unhappy Are cooling periods really necessary? // Confused

I know this question is asked a lot but i am still confused. Ive heard so many different things from, you should cool down for 3 weeks 70-75F at night and 80-85 in daytime, to cooling down isn't necessary and doesn't really help as much as people think it does. These varying view points have extremely confused me.

So how long and at what temps to you cool down for? Do you introduce your snakes immediately or let it cool down for a while and then introduce snakes? Is there anyone who successfully changes nothing at all and simply introduces a male when they are healthy enough to breed?

Please let me know what you do and what works for you. Thanks everyone!
    Don't forget to check us out on YouTube:
    http://youtube.com/slickserpents

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Are cooling periods really necessary? // Confused

The answers you're going to get aren't likely to clear things up for you any.

There are people that have good results with cooling periods (and swear by it) and people that have good results without cooling periods (and swear the people that do cool are crazy ). Last time a poll was done on this it was about 1/3 who used a cooling period and 2/3 who did not.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Like tossing frogs in a rain chamber - by cooling the keeper is trying to trigger a specific response. Animals in nature take their cues from many sources. Temperature just happens to be one of the stronger ones and easiest to mimic. Photoperiods are another good one and mimicking them is as easy as keeping your reptiles in a room with a window. Results will vary depending on all factors involved so it's best to just play around with it and see what works for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

joebad976 (06-30-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just take the "common sense" approach and look at the year round temps where they occur in the wild.

Thanks
    i hear that different breeders do different things.

i think whats more important is the ultrasound, as in, is an ultrasound machine being used or not.

you just check each female for follicles each month, once follicles are detected you check that female more often and track the follicle growth. once the follicles hit the right size, you start pairing them up.

some breeders dont do cooldowns and just breed year-round, and others do the cooldown to get the females on some sort of scedule, so that many females start producing follicles and lay eggs all around the same time. but it doesnt seem to affect overall fertility, if it would, then breeders would be so highly motivated to switch to the better method that there would not be this split between successful breeders that do cooldowns and successful breeders that dont do it.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    See JD Constriction posted about trying the no cool down method and said he slugged out hard this year. So I think it really just depends on what works for you and your area. A lot of times the ambient temp with naturally drop in the winter months. Makes sense to me. I think I'll be dropping the hotspot like he does for my first season.

http://jdconstriction.com/the-season-of-slugs/
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    I think it really just depends on what works for you and your area.
    This is the advice that I'm using. Learn who the successful breeders are near you and see what works best for them. What works in Orlando, FL may not be as effective in Phoenix, AZ for reasons beyond what you can try and control with a thermostat.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    This is the advice that I'm using. Learn who the successful breeders are near you and see what works best for them. What works in Orlando, FL may not be as effective in Phoenix, AZ for reasons beyond what you can try and control with a thermostat.
    Very good point

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Green For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (06-30-2014),reptile_kid_16 (07-05-2014)