Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

1 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks
    ok, im pretty sad right now. Pandora has NEVER hissed at me or tried to bite me... today when i went to the reptile show i brought home some smaller rats since i want to switch her over. when i put it in there, she just looked at it, and an hour later she went back into her hide. she hasnt eaten in a week, and shes usually hungry every 3 days or so.

i took the rat out, but now, everytime i go to pick her up she hisses. i tried gently rubbing her back and she kept hissing and hiding her head. she knows its me because she watched me open her cage.

at one point i thought she was going to lunge at me so i just put the lid back on. im really worried, whats wrong?? is she scared of the rat and p*ssed because i tried feeing her it? i have no clue why she's currently ready to rip off my finger... :cry:
    1.1 bps- Apollo & Pandora ♥

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I Got A Corn!!!

I've had Sophie for about 5 months now and she's always been very docile. However, the other day I took her out of her hide and brought her into the kitchen where there was more light to inspect her and she hissed and got into strike position..this has never happened before. It totally freaked me out, but her eyes were clouded as she was going into shed again. I didn't expect her to shed so quickly b/c she just shed 2 weeks ago, but I did switch her to small rats about 4 feedings ago, so that's probably why. Anyway, I'm sure it's b/c she couldn't see well and I startled her.....is Pandora in shed? Maybe she is just feeling a little insecure right now b/c the rat was unfamiliar to her and she felt threatened. Just be slow and steady w/her when you approach or pick her up. Sophie shed today and she's back to her normal self but I'm being extra cautious and careful w/her just to make sure..I'm sure it will pass, they are animals afterall and are prone to acting as such.
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

Thanks
    My ball has always hissed, since the day I got her. She's all hiss and no action though. I lift her hide up, and softly pet her back a bit to let her know it's me. That first pet, she always lets out a cute little hiss. So I say "ooooh, you're big and tough aren't ya?" and pick her up. She's fine after I pick her up and she's in my hands.

The first thing I thought when reading your post was maybe she's going into shed. Did you check her eyes to see if they're cloudy?

Or maybe it's just that time of the month. :ohno:

2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    She might of been in hunt mood.
    Did you watch your hands well after handling the rats?

Thanks
    do you feed her in her tank ??

i heard that they can or will do that if you do but i have also heard of people who have had no prob feeding in the snakes tank, i feed in a separate tank and have never had any problems with my snake hissing,striking, anything, but i dont know that might not be the problem for you, maybe pandora just wasnt in a good mood that day, who knows ??
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink
    She might of been in hunt mood.
    Did you watch your hands well after handling the rats?
    yes. i always wash my hands, i dont even like knowing i have rat/mice juice on me :|

Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    The first thing I thought when reading your post was maybe she's going into shed. Did you check her eyes to see if they're cloudy?
    yup...... no cloudy eyes, no pinkness!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon.O
    do you feed her in her tank ??
    yes, i always feed her in her tank. but i've never had a problem with that and theres been a few times i've had to pink her up RIGHT after she eats. no hissing then

im just going to assume i scared her... i did manage to pick her up with no hissing after a few tries. i think i'll wait a few more days before i try the rat again, maybe she'll be hungry enough to go for it

Thanks

Another one down

Having feeding problems too?
    I have babies and they are off fed arg.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Welll....
    I have my big male Apok who is not above letting out a sibilant hiss from time to time when I pick him up. Shoot, he has even nailed me a couple of times but I dont hold it against him. He IS a snake you know. snakes are indeed snakes and I wouldnt trip to much if Pandora hisses at you now and then....dont take it personal. I am sure that there are just times when a snake does not want to be bothered and this is there way of expressing their dislike for being handled at this time.

I hope that this helps you to feel better about the whole thing....

EyeLashViper

Thanks
    yeah, it doesnt bother me as much. i was just really worried at the time..... im over it

Thanks
    sometimes they hiss if they don't want to be bothered.