Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

0 members and 3,134 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Okay, you silly hatchlings, it's time to eat! Advice?

Hey folks!

So my first clutch of eggs all hatched between 5-30-14 and 6-3-14 and all completed their first shed between 6-8-14 and 6-10-14. I moved them into their own hatchling rack around 6/15, and offered them their first F/T mouse hopper meal around 6/18. None of them ate, which wasn't a surprise to me. I cluttered up their bins, giving them crumpled papertowels to hide under, and waited a few days. I offered F/T again, and no one ate.

I finally gave in and bought some live hoppers on 6/22/14. I waited until 6/23 to offer, and one hatchling took a mouse immediately, but none of the others will. Two struck at it scared, and the others would immediately find somewhere to hide from it.

I offered the live mice twice since then, and no one took one. I couldn't keep live mice in the house any longer so "euthanized" them and put them in the freezer to use later. I absolutely hate putting mice (or anything) down, so I figured I would wait a little bit before offering again.

How long can the hatchlings go without food before I should worry? All shed perfectly, all have great behavior. Temperatures are perfect, maybe a TAD cool on the cool end (literally around 1 degree cooler than ideal).

I'm going to go to the store and buy plastic flower pot saucers tomorrow (I'm assumign Ij ust cut a little entry hole in these?) and see if that helps. The hatchlings are in a very quiet portion of the house, low to no traffic to bother them.

These are my first hatchlings, and I have another clutch in shed right now, so any advice would be EXTREMELY welcome and appreciated! Anyone have any tips or tricks?
    Ball Pythons
    0.3 Het Pied
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Super Pastel Butter
    0.3 Yellowbelly
    0.1 Normal
    0.1 Killerbee Het Pied
    0.3 Piebald
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Superfly
    1.0 Het Pied
    1.0 Pied
    1.0 Ivory
    1.0 Pastel Pied
    1.0 Albino

2.0 Bearded Dragons "Kenzai", and "Neeko"

0.0.4 Highland Bronze Dendrobates auratus
    0.0.2 Azureus Dendrobates tinctorius
    1.1 Oophaga pumilio "Blue Jean"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    I know it's easier said than done, but have patience. Keep trying the live hopper mice, but I would give it 3-5 days between attempts. If they're not taking live, it's very doubtful they'll take f/t. Once you get them started on live though, it's usually pretty easy to switch them over to f/t. Once they get started it seems like they'll eat anything, any time. Other than that, leave them alone.

How long before worrying? Tough call. Hatchlings can go a fairly long time without eating, depending on their condition when they hatched. Odds are, they will all get with the program and start eating. You can monitor their weight, but I find it just as easy to keep track of their condition visually. If they don't eat on their own, you would eventually have to look at assist feeding, but I imagine you've got some time before that becomes an option.

Good luck and keep us posted...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Okay, you silly hatchlings, it's time to eat! Advice?

I would go a week between attempts to reduce the stress of having something put in front of them constantly and also they should grow hungrier each time. We had a few last year that wouldn't go for about six weeks before we started assist feeding. We first tried live rat crawlers for 3 weeks, then live mouse hoppers for 3 weeks. I think one of 4 started finally on the mouse hoppers. When we eventually sold her she was still only taking mice but at least she had been switched over to F/T. The rest we went on to asssist feed eating ate rat pups, and it took quite a few assit feeds before they finally started eating on their own.

Everbody talks about their beautiful hatchlings and combos, but not so much about non eating hatchlings. It can be tough and not usually considered until it is put before you. As has already been said, have patience. They are a little more resilient then we give them credit for. Nature is a tough "B" so they are equipped for adversity. Best of luck
    Last edited by rlditmars; 06-27-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have to be PATIENT and not offer to often, the more you offer the more stress, the less likely they will do good for you.

For the how long question it a judgement call that need to be made case per case depends on the overall look of the animal whether it has fully absorb it's yolk etc

Here is what I do.

If started on rat I offer a live crawler rat right after the first shed and do so once a week (not every 4 days or 5 days unless the first meal was successful) I do this for 3 weeks. At that point if they still have not ate I offer live hopper mouse once a week. I usually do not consider assist feeding with a healthy hatchling before at least 6 to 8 weeks after their first shed.

What is important is security, and also temps make sure your temps are not too high, for example in a small 6 quarts tubs you do not want to have your hot spot at 90/92 because it leaves very small room for cooler temps and there is not much gradient in small tubs like this. 86/88 is a great temp for a hot spot in smaller tubs, if if the ambient temp is around 84/85 in your room do not offer a hot spot at all.

Here are a few things you can do to help, use aspen as bedding it allows for them to bury themselves offering extra security. Have a small 6 inches plastic flower pot saucer in the tub (some need more security then others), add loose crumble newspaper, NO HANDLING, no constant opening of their tubs and again patience and make sure they are well hydrated.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 06-27-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-27-2014)

Thanks

I'll be buying some flower pot saucers and other "stuff" today to attempt to get them more comfortable. I do welfare checks on them daily (just look in their bins to make sure everyone is alive!), but I try to do so without moving their bins.

A random question I never really thought about...how necessary is a light cycle for these animals? I've heard arguments saying it's unnecessary, and vice versa. My hatchling rack is in my windowless garage, with the light off most of the time so they don't see much light. I haven't seen any negative behavior associated with this.

I'll be trying to locate some more rat crawlers/mouse hoppers around Thursday to try and feed again. I have my second clutch of snakes just finishing their first shed, so it'll be their turn as well. My third clutch hatched way early, so I'm hoping to have the others all eating well soon!
    Ball Pythons
    0.3 Het Pied
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Super Pastel Butter
    0.3 Yellowbelly
    0.1 Normal
    0.1 Killerbee Het Pied
    0.3 Piebald
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Superfly
    1.0 Het Pied
    1.0 Pied
    1.0 Ivory
    1.0 Pastel Pied
    1.0 Albino

2.0 Bearded Dragons "Kenzai", and "Neeko"

0.0.4 Highland Bronze Dendrobates auratus
    0.0.2 Azureus Dendrobates tinctorius
    1.1 Oophaga pumilio "Blue Jean"

Thanks

Have they started eating yet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You have to be PATIENT and not offer to often, the more you offer the more stress, the less likely they will do good for you.

What is important is security, and also temps make sure your temps are not too high, for example in a small 6 quarts tubs you do not want to have your hot spot at 90/92 because it leaves very small room for cooler temps and there is not much gradient in small tubs like this. 86/88 is a great temp for a hot spot in smaller tubs, if if the ambient temp is around 84/85 in your room do not offer a hot spot at all.
    This is good info. I am going to try this myself. I am having the same issues. Its been 3 weeks since shed for my 6 babies. Only 1 has eaten so far. I have the hot spot at 91 in a 6qt tub. Thanks.