Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

1 members and 2,988 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Ideas

Thanks

Business Ideas

Lately, I have really been wanting to start a reptile business, but I can't decide what I want to do. I thought about breeding ball pythons (I have a pastel male), but future circumstances (college) may keep from being able to care for more animals. Now, I want to make some sort of reptile product. Something I can make on my own. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    What are you going to school for?

Thanks
    In reality you would be wasting your time and money if you are going into college. Unless you are a PE major with a minor in volleyball. Your schedules will conflict at some point in time. I would major in business or a herp related field and in a couple years set yourself up for success. Now that doesnt mean you cant have a couple small racks and breed to start getting your multi genes up there but business wise, its gonna be tough with school.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (06-25-2014)

Thanks

Re: Business Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    What are you going to school for?
    I'm planning on pursuing veterinary medicine. I would like to become a wildlife veterinarian.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BPavery For This Useful Post:

Mephibosheth1 (06-25-2014)

Registered User Charlottesmom1966's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pet sitting for reptiles...seriously, I know quite a few pet sitters and they all hate getting a call from someone with reptiles, espically snakes as they either hate snakes or get grossed out by the idea of feeding them. A few of them will do it but hate it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Flemish Giant Bunny
    4.1 Parakeets
    0.1 African Grey Parrot
    1.0 Mouse
    8.1 Bettas
    4.8 Guppies (separated, learned our lesson!)
    3.0 kiddos
    1.0 extreamly patient husband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    In reality you would be wasting your time and money if you are going into college. Unless you are a PE major with a minor in volleyball. Your schedules will conflict at some point in time. I would major in business or a herp related field and in a couple years set yourself up for success. Now that doesnt mean you cant have a couple small racks and breed to start getting your multi genes up there but business wise, its gonna be tough with school.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do..
    Thanks for the advice! Once I get a degree in biology and go to vet school, I'll be able to spend as much with reptiles I want (ok maybe a little too much). I was thinking about getting a couple new female BPs and use them for breeding when I have my own place later on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottesmom1966 View Post
    Pet sitting for reptiles...seriously, I know quite a few pet sitters and they all hate getting a call from someone with reptiles, espically snakes as they either hate snakes or get grossed out by the idea of feeding them. A few of them will do it but hate it.
    Good idea! I'll definitely consider it. Thanks!

Thanks
    Does anyone think an online service would be a good idea? It could be a digital magazine or BP classifieds. Something along those lines. I could maybe get paid for advertisements on the site.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BPavery View Post
    Does anyone think an online service would be a good idea? It could be a digital magazine or BP classifieds. Something along those lines. I could maybe get paid for advertisements on the site.
    Those are good ideas. And if you had a time machine you could go back 15 years and capitalize on them. However, I don't see a "digital magazine" doing anything as there are plenty of forums where information is shared and exchanged. And they're free. The BP related classifieds that are already out there are pretty well established, and new entries seem to have trouble catching on. There simply aren't a whole lot of opporunities for BP "products". They don't need leashes, or cute clothing. They don't chase or play with toys. They sit under a bowl with a hole in it hiding from you. If you want to start a breeding business, you have to go all in. If you plan on just doing a little something on the side, then it's a hobby, not a business.

The idea's you're talking about are nothing new...we've probably all had them...

If I was you, I'd focus on going to school, and in the mean time, pick up a few females. Decide what you like and what project you want to focus on. Pick up a few 1 or 2 gene females that best represent what you like. Then you can start saving up for a few males down the road.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

KING JAMES (06-25-2014),PitOnTheProwl (06-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Those are good ideas. And if you had a time machine you could go back 15 years and capitalize on them. However, I don't see a "digital magazine" doing anything as there are plenty of forums where information is shared and exchanged. And they're free. The BP related classifieds that are already out there are pretty well established, and new entries seem to have trouble catching on. There simply aren't a whole lot of opporunities for BP "products". They don't need leashes, or cute clothing. They don't chase or play with toys. They sit under a bowl with a hole in it hiding from you. If you want to start a breeding business, you have to go all in. If you plan on just doing a little something on the side, then it's a hobby, not a business.

The idea's you're talking about are nothing new...we've probably all had them...

If I was you, I'd focus on going to school, and in the mean time, pick up a few females. Decide what you like and what project you want to focus on. Pick up a few 1 or 2 gene females that best represent what you like. Then you can start saving up for a few males down the road.
    Okay, thank you for the advice. Yes, ball pythons don't need much. I'm thinking about buying a female lesser and bumblebee. By the time I'll be ready to breed them, they'll surely be up to size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast