Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

4 members and 3,427 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Business Ideas

Thanks
    Look up Garrick Demeyer, he was breeding before college but cut back big time while he was attending school. He wen't to school for something similar too. I'm a believer that anything is possible. He was breeding reptiles that were not his favorites just because business wise it made since. If I was in those shoes right now I'd probably be breeding bearded dragons just because it seems like they sell fast and are really popular. I don't care for them that much.
    Last edited by alan12013; 06-25-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks

Re: Business Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    Look up Garrick Demeyer, he was breeding before college but cut back big time while he was attending school. He wen't to school for something similar too. I'm a believer that anything is possible. He was breeding reptiles that were not his favorites just because business wise it made since. If I was in those shoes right now I'd probably be breeding bearded dragons just because it seems like they sell fast and are really popular. I don't care for them that much.
    My Pastel ball python is from Garrick! He's a fantastic breeder. Yes, anything is possible. I like bearded dragons, but I have little experience with them. I do have a Leopard Gecko, and I love him. They're quick to mature, manageable, good-looking, docile, and in pretty high demand. Maybe they are a possibility for my business. Thanks for your reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Who thinks Rosy Boas are a good investment for future breeding? I can definitely see them as popular snakes. They're a perfect size, already come in many different colors and patterns, docile, and feed well.

Thanks
    I think you should define your market first. You mentioned breeding leopard geckos because they are popular... start going to the pet stores and seeing what get sold the fastest or look online for how many of them there are that don't ever sell. I've gotten a few for free with all equipment. You can't sell a leopard gecko for more than 20 bucks or a snake for more than 200 bucks no matter what it is unless you have a name because then you're selling to a different group of people. Also you will end up with a lot of hets and who wants to buy a het from some one they cant trust. Some guy is trying to sell me a het albino BP right now, I talked him down to 40 bucks!!!! Basically I would get his "het albino" for less than what I would pay for a normal. When I start producing some of the morphs that I want with geckos I will have to sell 200 dollar geckos for dirt cheap (sub 40) if I want to get rid of them.

I like rosy boas along with most all reptiles so any of them are good for a breeder to familiarize with. Business wise though you have to think very logically and navigate the waters properly otherwise you just have an expensive hobby. I mentioned Garrick earlier and I guess you bought from him... I'm assuming that means you know about him and his path to get where he is at? Finding a role model or several to see how and why they did what they did will help you in decision making.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    I think you should define your market first. You mentioned breeding leopard geckos because they are popular... start going to the pet stores and seeing what get sold the fastest or look online for how many of them there are that don't ever sell. I've gotten a few for free with all equipment. You can't sell a leopard gecko for more than 20 bucks or a snake for more than 200 bucks no matter what it is unless you have a name because then you're selling to a different group of people. Also you will end up with a lot of hets and who wants to buy a het from some one they cant trust. Some guy is trying to sell me a het albino BP right now, I talked him down to 40 bucks!!!! Basically I would get his "het albino" for less than what I would pay for a normal. When I start producing some of the morphs that I want with geckos I will have to sell 200 dollar geckos for dirt cheap (sub 40) if I want to get rid of them.

I like rosy boas along with most all reptiles so any of them are good for a breeder to familiarize with. Business wise though you have to think very logically and navigate the waters properly otherwise you just have an expensive hobby. I mentioned Garrick earlier and I guess you bought from him... I'm assuming that means you know about him and his path to get where he is at? Finding a role model or several to see how and why they did what they did will help you in decision making.
    The most popular reptiles I see are Ball Pythons, RT Boas (too big for me), Corn Snakes, Leopard Geckos, and of course Bearded Dragons.

One problem I would have breeding Leopard Geckos is the amount of hatchlings they have. I don't think I would have enough space to house around 15 hatchlings...per female. With BPs and Rosy Boas, I could expect around 4-6 eggs per female.

Garrick Demeyer is a role model of mine (I was just watching some of his youtube videos). His story is very inspiring to me, and I'm sure it is for all people interested in breeding reptiles.

Thanks for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12