Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,408

4 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Beginner Question

Hi all. I purchased my first snake (a young female ball python) over nine months ago. Unfortunately, less than a month later she died from IBD. We're ready for another snake, but I want to try my best to ensure something like this doesn't happen again. Now, I've heard you're not supposed to buy a snake from chain stores or breeders, so I'm on the forums to see what other option there is (or if buying from one of the two is okay, why?).

Thanks for reading, can't wait to get another snake!

Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your first snake!

As long as it's a reputable breeder, there's no problem buying a snake from a breeder. There are some breeders out there that don't take proper care of their snakes, but for the most part, I would probably consider buying from a breeder to be the safest option. Check the Fauna Classifieds BOI (Board of Inquiry), and the Inquiries/Feedback section on this site (http://ball-pythons.net/forums/forum...iries-Feedback) for feedback on different breeders. There are plenty of good breeders! You can check Kingsnake.com classifieds, Fauna Classifieds, and the Reptile Report Marketplace to find snakes for sale, and you can also see if there's a reptile show local to you.

Also, before you get a new snake, it would be a good idea to make sure you sanitize the tank and any equipment that you might have saved from your first snake.

Hope that helps!
    1.0 2013 Firefly
    1.0 2013 Black Pastel
    1.0 2013 Cinnamon
    0.1 2015 Leopard Butter Pastel
    0.1 2015 Stinger Bee
    0.1 2016 Pastel Pinstripe Disco Fire
    0.1 2015 Dumeril's Boa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bumblebee1028 For This Useful Post:

NH93 (06-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    If you have had IBD in your house, you need to wait at least a full year minimum before you get any other snakes to make sure your house is safe for your new snake. Did your vet confirm it was IBD?

Always buy from reputable breeders. Look at Fauna Board of Inquiry(BOI) for buyer reviews of sellers to weed out bad breeders.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

bumblebee1028 (06-24-2014),NH93 (06-24-2014)

Thanks

Re: Beginner Question

Thanks guys. No, it was never confirmed but we were told to wait at least 6 months and to sanitize the tank.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Hi all. I purchased my first snake (a young female ball python) over nine months ago. Unfortunately, less than a month later she died from IBD. We're ready for another snake, but I want to try my best to ensure something like this doesn't happen again. Now, I've heard you're not supposed to buy a snake from chain stores or breeders, so I'm on the forums to see what other option there is (or if buying from one of the two is okay, why?).

Thanks for reading, can't wait to get another snake!
    i wonder where you heared that

generally, what people say is: chain stores are very bad, wholesalers/flippers are very bad, good breeders are good, very good breeders are very good, shady breeders are shady, and at reptile shows you can get all of that and it depends on who you buy from at the reptile show.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (06-24-2014),NH93 (06-24-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    generally, what people say is: chain stores are very bad, wholesalers/flippers are very bad, good breeders are good, very good breeders are very good, shady breeders are shady, and at reptile shows you can get all of that and it depends on who you buy from at the reptile show.

LOL I love the explanations here... too good

OP I agree with all of the previous comments. Just wanted to throw that out there!
    Sorry to hear about your experience I hope it didn't sour anything for you.

All the best!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger