Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

0 members and 3,364 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 15 snakes and 1 cat seized from home

Quote Originally Posted by Zombree View Post
    Wow. What an invasion of privacy. I can't believe they subjected that woman and her family (animals) to that BS. And did the guy really have to say "will be going up for adoption soon"? What kind of stab is that? Seriously, that should not be allowed to happen.
    I would be mad as hell if all my animals were seized because some dingus thought some were being kept incorrectly and then offered them up for adoption. I'd go and take them back myself.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

Vulgar (06-21-2014),Zombree (06-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    I would be mad as hell if all my animals were seized because some dingus thought some were being kept incorrectly and then offered them up for adoption. I'd go and take them back myself.
    Agreed. I am bit upset over this as well. The saddest part is I am sure this crap happens all the time, just the media doesn't cover it. Abuse of power.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombree For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (06-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zombree View Post
    Wow. What an invasion of privacy. I can't believe they subjected that woman and her family (animals) to that BS. And did the guy really have to say "will be going up for adoption soon"? What kind of stab is that? Seriously, that should not be allowed to happen.
    There was a story of how a mayor had his home invaded for a "drug bust" because drugs were being sent to his house by dealers and the boxes were to be "picked up" again. Either way they entered without a warrant, shot and killed their two dogs, and held the family at gunpoint (if I remember correctly in pajamas). Oh did I mention? They shot one of the poor dogs as it was running away. That's real life-threatening. Lots of :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: happens. I used to believe in the police and how they will help you. After actually reading some of these stories, I realize that police are just normal human beings, some of them with horrible cases of god complex mixed with weapons on-hand. Just a couple years ago they had a huge unnecessary and dangerous use of pepper spray incident at my university :/

Just as reference
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_...ence_drug_raid

I think the problem is that there's really no "main all-knowing, 100% time all right thing" that governs what's right or wrong. So things just go whichever way the general population is educated as, and in this case the general population knows nothing about reptiles.
    Last edited by Aryia; 06-24-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Registered User Charlottesmom1966's Avatar
    Thanks
    I smell a nosey neighbor with a hatrid of snakes...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Flemish Giant Bunny
    4.1 Parakeets
    0.1 African Grey Parrot
    1.0 Mouse
    8.1 Bettas
    4.8 Guppies (separated, learned our lesson!)
    3.0 kiddos
    1.0 extreamly patient husband

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The SPCA here is pretty good and have a lot to deal with in the city. From what I have seen taking peoples herps is not a concern of theirs.

Looking at the pics and seeing the outside area of the house in question I do not imagine the inside is much better. Search Google maps and use the street view. Look at 709 W 21st Houston Texas . The house in question is the pink one with a large pile of trash at the street. In that pile it appears some make shift cages are in the trash. They do not appear to be anything I would put an animal in.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    As I read through this thread again all I could think is how nobody here has any actual facts about this case. Many are jumping to conclusions without waiting for the entire incident to play out.

Being an active investigation facts are naturally withheld from the media. However even when the media is given the entire story they very often put their dramatic spin on it to get higher ratings.

Snakes are survivors. How many snakes live through horrible conditions only to be sold on craigslist? We have all seen it. Sure it may appear normal weight but that doesn't mean it has been living well. Living and living well is two different things. My snakes live well.

I also don't understand how some of yall are caught up on large snakes being kept in cages that are two small. That is very possible. What's the smallest dimensions a 15 foot snake should be kept in? How safe is feeding a large snake a live rabbit when the snake can hardly move in the cage. I could see how that situation alone would create an issue I would not feel comfortable with. Ever been bit by a rabbit? Just think of what a mouse can do to a snake.

While I do not trust the media at all I still have faith that the SPCA is doing its best. In my line of work I have reported people to the SPCA. They can not just come and take animals and it is not a quick process. Would any of yall rather these animals be left in a bad situation? The article is not calling for laws to be made or changed and only saying these snakes should be treated right just like any other pet. I see this more of a win as snakes are being recognized as regular pets and not demons.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (06-25-2014)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234