Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

1 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Ball Python-no mice?

Hello, I am not a snake owner but I have been keeping a ball python at my house for a friend for almost a year now. He usually comes by whenever I tell him the snake is moving around a lot and he brings a rat and feeds him. Well the snake keeps moving around and looking up to the top of the tank (like he's waiting for a mouse) but my friend is in jail for at least the next 21 days for not paying child support. My question is, is there anything I can feed him in the mean time, besides a rodent? I asked his brother and he says to just leave the snake alone he will be fine with out food. I don't feel comfortable handling a rodent because I'm 6 months pregnant and my husband is TERRIFIED of the snake and won't go near it.

Can I give him fish or chicken? Or will he be okay for a few weeks? I don't know much about snakes at all. I don't want him to starve to death he looks so hungry.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Unfortunately, you can't feed store bought chicken and especially not fish to a ball python. You can buy frozen rats or mice at any Petco or pet store. You just thaw that out and then warm it up using hot (not boiling) water, and you can feed it that way. You don't have to use a live rodent...

He would technically be okay for a few weeks, but it's not ideal. They should eat once every 7-10 days or so...
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 06-16-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Ball Python-no mice?

This is important: When was the last time he was fed?

Also, to answer your question, NO - do not feed a ball python anything other than rodents. First, he likely wouldn't recognize anything else as food. Second, the nutritional value of other food items would not meet his dietary requirements.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    The owner is in jail, his brother says to neglect it, you think it might eat fish or chicken and your husband is terrified of it. Just put it on Craigslist and give it to someone who can care for it responsibly...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bigt0006 (06-17-2014),CORBIN911 (06-16-2014),decensored (06-21-2014),DooLittle (06-16-2014),Dr. Pete (06-22-2014),Eric Alan (06-16-2014),Jt balls (06-19-2014),Mr Oni (06-17-2014),Ridinandreptiles (06-17-2014),Skittles1101 (06-16-2014),wescoast (06-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    The owner is in jail, his brother says to neglect it, you think it might eat fish or chicken and your husband is terrified of it. Just put it on Craigslist and give it to someone who can care for it responsibly...

I think I have reacted responsibly by coming to a forum dedicated to ball pythons and asking for help. It wouldn't be fair for me to give his snake away (that he has had for 8 years) because he fell on some hard times these last few months. I prefer to do my best to take care of the snake. I have grown fond of him, just can't wrap my mind around handling rats or mice. However, it is possible that I can find someone local who doesn't mind feeding him for the next couple of weeks.

he ate about 2 weeks ago. He has always eaten about every two weeks. That's usually when he starts to move around a lot and look up at the top of the tank.

Guess I better take those Father's Day leftovers out of his tank now LOL JK.

Thanks for for your replies. I think I'll take my chances with a live rat before I boil up some rat on my kitchen stove.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChristyAmber For This Useful Post:

BrandyL1193 (06-17-2014),NH93 (06-17-2014),ReagansViolent (06-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyAmber View Post
    I think I have reacted responsibly by coming to a forum dedicated to ball pythons and asking for help. It wouldn't be fair for me to give his snake away (that he has had for 8 years) because he fell on some hard times these last few months. I prefer to do my best to take care of the snake. I have grown fond of him, just can't wrap my mind around handling rats or mice. However, it is possible that I can find someone local who doesn't mind feeding him for the next couple of weeks.

he ate about 2 weeks ago. He has always eaten about every two weeks. That's usually when he starts to move around a lot and look up at the top of the tank.

Guess I better take those Father's Day leftovers out of his tank now LOL JK.

Thanks for for your replies. I think I'll take my chances with a live rat before I boil up some rat on my kitchen stove.
    You definitely don't boil it.....you literally just leave it out to thaw (like you would chicken?) and then get a bowl of hot water from your tap and just leave the rat or mouse in it for 10-15 minutes or so. You don't even need to step foot in your kitchen for this...

There are literally thousands of people who feed their reptiles this way, myself included, and it alleviates dealing with a live rodent...it's not as crazy as it sounds I promise.
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 06-16-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyAmber View Post
    I think I'll take my chances with a live rat before I boil up some rat on my kitchen stove.
    Please ensure that you're appropriately prepared to do so if you decide to go this route. A rat can actually cause a lot of damage to a snake if not fed properly.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Thank you skittles!

Is it safe and humane to wait a day or two just to see if I can get someone to come by and do the task or do you feel it's important that i run out tomorrow and get him some food? I wouldn't want to wait a couple of days to eat, so I think I just answered my own question...

is is there a chance he won't take a dead rat? I think he has only ever eaten live ones. I didn't even know it was an option to buy dead rodents.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this matters but the box from the pet store usually has large written on it with permanent marker. And each time I've accidentally caught a glimpse of the rat it has looked bigger than a newborn kitten, for sure.

Im aware that the rat can bite the snake. He has had to return a rat once or twice when the snake refused. I was told that if he isn't hungry and you leave the rat in, the rat can hurt him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristyAmber For This Useful Post:

decensored (06-21-2014)

Thanks

Putting off his meal for a couple of days isn't going to hurt anything, but I wouldn't wait longer than maybe 4 or 5 days. Unfortunately if you're uncomfortable handling a live rodent while pregnant, whoever does come to feed (if you're able to find someone) will need to stick around to ensure that the rat gets eaten, or else they'll need to take it back out. Someone should be there monitoring the situation the entire time the rat draws breath, even after the snake has struck and constricted, because sometimes they can squirm around enough to get their teeth on the snake. It's best to have something long and metal (a simple screwdriver would work) to stick in the rat's mouth if it appears to be in danger of biting the snake while it's being constricted. If that happens, once the rat stops moving you can walk away safely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast