Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,193

0 members and 3,193 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    South East PA (Northern Jersey Girl born and bred)
    Thanks

my first snake. guess the age.

so im new to snake ownership (if you dont count the garter snake i had brielfy caught) but I have loved them since I got to see a fully grown retic when I was 3 years old and its head was the size of my head at the time. Since then when I see a wild snake I say ooo snake and lunge for it ( venomous snakes are VERY rare in my area). My dad was traumatized with snakes as a child so he would never let me get one but now Im grown and married in my own place and someone who is moving this month knew I wanted an albino ball python and gave him to me for free! So I FINALLY own my first snake. He's eating great, shedding great but hasn't pooped yet ( hopefully soon). Unfortunately he was kept by young boys who had 4 other snakes and 4 lizards and wasn't given the best care so I wanna see if any one can guess his age.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    There's no way to know....growth can vary and be stunted by so many reasons...genetics, neglect, etc. Especially if you're stating it wasn't taken care of properly.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Welcome! And congrats on following a life dream .

Judging by body composition and length, and considering you say he wasn't taken care of well (I'm assuming this includes feeding), and by the fade of his pattern I would put him at about 3 or 4 - Although he is about the size of a one or two year old ball python.

But judging age by size is difficult and very hard to do so I don't expect to be right haha

Thanks
    Ok so I have really small hands. I work at a pet store where we have normals and they are 6 months and he is smaller than them. I know its impossible to tell by size but I was still surprised when I asked since I am pretty sure he's been getting hopper mice every week since the previous owners had him.

Thanks

Re: my first snake. guess the age.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkatbird View Post
    Ok so I have really small hands. I work at a pet store where we have normals and they are 6 months and he is smaller than them. I know its impossible to tell by size but I was still surprised when I asked since I am pretty sure he's been getting hopper mice every week since the previous owners had him.
    how old is he?

Thanks
    Nice pic of him when I first brought him home 4 weeks ago

Thanks
    about a year and a half. Can't fool the experts I guess, but from what I can tell from the hundreds of pictures I've looked at he is about the size of most 4 month old ones and he's growing like crazy now. He was just finishing a bad shed when I got him and just shed again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Re: my first snake. guess the age.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkatbird View Post
    about a year and a half. Can't fool the experts I guess, but from what I can tell from the hundreds of pictures I've looked at he is about the size of most 4 month old ones and he's growing like crazy now. He was just finishing a bad shed when I got him and just shed again.
    Poor baby...he's so tiny
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The good news is that slow growth due to limited food intake doesn't seem to have nearly the long term negative affects on snakes as it does on humans. And he is still young. Now that you are feeding him properly, he'll probably be just fine.
    Casey