Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

1 members and 3,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Moving - In Limbo.

Hey everyone,

My partner and I will be moving near the end of the summer, and I haven't ever had to move with my critters before. We were hoping to be able to have about a week or two overlap between places so we could slowly move our things out, rather than all at once.

I always wondered why it is that often you have to be out of your current place by the last day of the month, and usually cannot move in to your new place until the first of the next month. What do you do for that one night!?
    It is now even more of a concern for me with snakes (and soon to be a blue tongued skink). I am not terribly worried about my corn, because she can do without a UTH for one night so long as I don't feed her any time near to our move. However, for my ball python and skink, they do require higher heat - and for the skink specifically, UVB light.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done with the move, and where to keep the reptiles warm and comfortable? We have thought of dismantling their PVC enclosures, setting them up at a friends/relatives for a night or two, and then moving them. However that is a lot of added work (which we of course will already be doing with the move). We would like to conserve as much time and energy as possible.

If anyone has had successful (or unsuccessful) experiences with moving homes with their snakes/reptiles, I would love to hear about them!

Thank you all in advance. Cheers!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Re: Moving - In Limbo.

For heat you can get some 40 hour heat packs that they use for shipping reptiles. As far as the uvb goes for the bluey...honestly 1 day without it wont hurt him...if you were really worried about it you could take him out in the sun for a little bit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

CORBIN911 (06-08-2014),NH93 (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Jclaiborne Your inbox is full and I can't reply to your PM!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    Jclaiborne Your inbox is full and I can't reply to your PM!
    haha sorry. I emptied it!
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Most apartments will let you stay a little longer than the end of the month. It will cost more but might be worth the hassle of having to rush out.

Sent from my 4.2.2 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I wouldn't think even a day or two without heat, and UVB would be harmful, as long as the temps arent really cold

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BiggBaddWolf For This Useful Post:

NH93 (06-13-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReagansViolent View Post
    Most apartments will let you stay a little longer than the end of the month. It will cost more but might be worth the hassle of having to rush out.

Sent from my 4.2.2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggBaddWolf View Post
    I wouldn't think even a day or two without heat, and UVB would be harmful, as long as the temps arent really cold

x2 on both of these.

Going a couple days w/o their enclosures isn't going to harm them. As you are moving near summer's end, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Keep them secure in the least. The BTS will be fine a few days w/o UVB, it takes more than a few days w/o UVB for it to harm them. When I moved 3 summers ago, all my guys were hunkered down in shoeboxes and snake bags for 3 days while I was setting things up. Our animals are a lot tougher than we give them credit.

I'd talk to your current and future landlords to see if you can leave a couple days late or get the keys a couple days early.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

KING JAMES (06-13-2014),NH93 (06-13-2014)

Thanks
    Snakes go into pillowcases that get zip-tied shut. Pillowcases go into totes. Totes go into the car, cars have heat and a/c so with a little bit of playing you could probably get temps okay for even a long trip. As said before most people don't give credit to how hardy our pets can be, I would never suggest not giving them the best treatment you can but they are not made of glass.

Honestly the caging/racks/equipment for them is ten times more of a pain to move than they are.

I Gots Me Some Snakes...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KING JAMES For This Useful Post:

NH93 (06-13-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You can order a large shipping kit from Reptile Express. It will come with the heat packs etc. Your snake will be 100% fine in that box for 24 hours ish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

NH93 (06-13-2014)

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for the crazy awesome suggestions!!!
    We are working hard to be able to move in a few days early. They are actually taking the whole month of July to reno our new place, so we are crossing our fingers that they get done early. If they do, the landlord said we could start moving in!

The car ride will be all of 10 minutes But, I will definitely be using pillow cases + containers for anything overnight. Love that idea. They already have their travel Tupperwares normally when they go for car rides (which has been not even a handful of times), they get their favourite hide with some substrate in their containers. But they are getting big now and it's not easy to fit hides in... so, pillow cases sound great!

You guys are the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast