Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Exclamation Lower half swollen?

Hey guys.

So I feed my ball python once a week. I've been feeding him two small hoppers each feeding, live. I always watch very carefully and there hasn't been any problems. He hasn't gone to the bathroom for a couple weeks. I try to soak him once a week at least. He's a couple months old. I keep the temperature at about 80 degrees using a heat lamp and I use heating pad on the hot side, humidity between 45-60, he has a hot hide with moss, a cold hide, a little branch, and a water bowl between the hides in the middle of the tank. I use aspen shavings for the substrate. The problem is that his lower half is a bit swollen and I believe it's called the anal scale is protruding a little. He doesn't seem to be acting weird at all... I felt for any signs of constipation but there doesn't seem to be any. Any ideas? I only noticed an hour ago. :/

Sincerely,
    Seriously Concerned Momma

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Lower half swollen?

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeAlley View Post
    Hey guys.

So I feed my ball python once a week. I've been feeding him two small hoppers each feeding, live. I always watch very carefully and there hasn't been any problems. He hasn't gone to the bathroom for a couple weeks. I try to soak him once a week at least. He's a couple months old. I keep the temperature at about 80 degrees using a heat lamp and I use heating pad on the hot side, humidity between 45-60, he has a hot hide with moss, a cold hide, a little branch, and a water bowl between the hides in the middle of the tank. I use aspen shavings for the substrate. The problem is that his lower half is a bit swollen and I believe it's called the anal scale is protruding a little. He doesn't seem to be acting weird at all... I felt for any signs of constipation but there doesn't seem to be any. Any ideas? I only noticed an hour ago. :/

Sincerely,
    Seriously Concerned Momma
    This could be many things - which may range from benign (constipation) to serious (osteomyelitis). Frankly your are going to now get a bunch of WAGs which will do you no good. My prediction is someone will point out that you are feeding him too small a meal, and others will suspect that the substrate has caused a problem. Neither of these are relevant to the issue at hand.

First and foremost, stop soaking your snake on a weekly basis - it is a stressor and stress can invite health issues in snakes.

A couple of questions:

(1) Is he showing any movement in his lower end? or is it pretty flaccid?
    (2) Is the selling lateral (on the sides) or ventral (on the bottom)?
    (3) Is he still eating?
    (4) What percentage of his body is swollen (a third, a quarter)?
    (5) Is the selling soft or hard?
    (6) What is the temperature on top of the pad and under the heat lamp?

In instances like this, it is best to take your animal to a QUALIFIED reptile vet. A qualified reptile vet is not someone who sees cats and dogs and the occasional bird - and is willing to take a stab at helping you out. A qualified vet is just that - one who specialized in reptiles.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-03-2014),dr del (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Id be willing to say he is sausage butt....and by his next shed, you will get a bunch of it...

My mojave ONLY defecates/pees during his shed... he still has urates but never any fecal matter UNTIL he sheds skin, if there movement in lower half still as skiploder said Id be willing to bet hell let it out once he sheds, my big female can hold it for aslong as 3-4months sometimes,