Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,157

2 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Thoughts on Stinger Bee x Spinner breeding?

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Thank you.

I was thinking of that thread at the time but couldn't find it.

It's the lack of dead or dying eggs or even slugs that drives me nuts about this subject - there doesn't seem to be nearly enough to account for a 25% chance per egg.
    I find there is a lack of breeding records of spider x spider. Supposedly people do it "all the time", the typical response for many things, but where are the records of this "very common" pairing because the few I do find, does not have a lack of viable offspring. With the oddity of this, I would like to even see someone ultrasound and see if all the follicles actually turn into eggs, there is a possibility it may not even make it to slug and get reabsorbed sometimes. Obviously not everyone has access to one though.

And since we are going to claim it is a dominant trait, not only should be be looking at the spider x spider pairing, we should be looking at breeding records for those spider offspring, something I have not see one record of. About all we know is it is not recessive lol.

Thanks

I wouldn't do this pairing only because you are using 2 double gene animals but at best will only produce a 3 gene animal.
    I also wouldn't do pastel sugar X pastel sugar or lemon blast X firepin. I try to avoid doubling up on dominant genes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brock lesser For This Useful Post:

CD CONSTRICTORS (06-02-2014),Pythonfriend (06-02-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I find there is a lack of breeding records of spider x spider. Supposedly people do it "all the time", the typical response for many things, but where are the records of this "very common" pairing because the few I do find, does not have a lack of viable offspring. With the oddity of this, I would like to even see someone ultrasound and see if all the follicles actually turn into eggs, there is a possibility it may not even make it to slug and get reabsorbed sometimes. Obviously not everyone has access to one though.

And since we are going to claim it is a dominant trait, not only should be be looking at the spider x spider pairing, we should be looking at breeding records for those spider offspring, something I have not see one record of. About all we know is it is not recessive lol.
    Exactly my thoughts

someone needs to count all the follicles, then breed the female, then compare it to the number of eggs + slugs.

we do not even know if the number of follices is generally equal to the number of eggs + slugs, or if the number of follicles is greater than the number of eggs + slugs. and here i am not talking about spider to spider, we do not have that data for ANY breeding. some experienced breeders that work with ultrasound a lot might already know the answer, but so far i have not seen an answer to that question.

if it is generally true (for any breeding) that there are more follicles than there finally will be eggs and slugs, this could mean that while the homozygous spider is lethal, there might not be a drop in fertility because the follicles that do not turn into eggs act as a buffer.

if it is generally true that either all of the follicles turn into eggs or at least slugs, or if there is no breeding all get resorbed, then you would get 25% slugs or failing eggs from breeding spider to spider.

the truth could also be somewhere in between.

but the one thing where im 99%+ certain is that the homozygous spider is lethal, and that the follicles that get this gene combination will die. the question is when exactly do they die, and what is the actual result.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12