Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

4 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Am I doing ok?

Thanks

Am I doing ok?

So we got my daughter a new dragon a little over a week ago. He was a hold back and is roughly 16" with about an inch between his eyes
    Here is the terrarium that we built for him
    On the far left (just over the limbs) is a powersun 100W, in the middle is a 150W repti bask and nothing on the far right
    The temp on the branch runs from 115 to 110 depending where on the top branch. Floor temp is high 90s. Mid cage runs mid 90s to high 80s. Right side stays in the 80s
    At night I have to run ceramic heat emitters to keep the temp above 70 (this will ease up as summer comes - Im in Alaska)

Does that look like everything is ok?
    Should I add a uvb tube light along the middle of the cage?
    I notice that he spends most of the time up closer to the MVB lamp. Sometimes he will stand against the cage to get his head closer to the lamp (or thats what it appears)

Now for the second question
    At first it seemed like he was eating the salad (lots of different dark greens, squash, bell pepper, occasional apple)
    We got him some dubia roaches at the end of the week (day 4)
    Now he doesnt seem to eat the salad at all. Should I continue to feed him roaches everyday even if he isnt eating salad?

Finally, the pet store that I got the Ca/D3 (P free) suggested leaving a small dish with some he could lick up if he felt the need. It seems like he has hit this a few different times. Is that a sign something isnt right?

Thank you in advance, I just want to make sure we take the best care possible of it

- - - Updated - - -

Cage is approximately 4Lx3Tx2D

Last edited by uafgrad; 05-30-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks
    The enclosure looks amazing!

Your temps sound a bit high. For a sub-adult or adult, you usually want the temps to stay below 110F (I aim for 100-105F basking), and ideally you want the cool side to be in the low 80s. I wouldn't be too worried about your temps as long as he's active, eating, and not spending all his time on the cool side. At night, they can handle temps as low as 65F, so if your house gets below that, definitely use the ceramic heat emitter, but otherwise, he should be fine.

I don't know a lot about MVBs, but from what I understand, the MVB should be fine for UVB (you shouldn't need a tube as well), but ideally you don't want a screen between the UVB and the dragon. What is the distance from the MVB to the basking spot? I'm pretty sure that you want about 12" between the MVB and the basking spot.

Do you know what he was eating before? Do you know how old he is and how much he weighs? At 16", he may be old enough, and big enough to not eat bugs every day. Definitely offer salad every day. Depending on how big he is, I probably wouldn't do dubia everyday if he isn't eating his salad. Try switching him to dubia every other day, and try different things in his salad to see if you can interest him. Another trick is to put the dubia in his salad bowl, so he gets some salad when he goes for the dubia. This site is really helpful for knowing what foods you can add to their salads: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I've never heard of that for beardies, but it is recommended for leopard geckos. My beardies would just run through the dish and dump calcium powder everywhere. As long as you're dusting his bugs, he should be fine. They lick everything, so he's probably just trying to see what it is.

I hope that helps! And I'd love to see a picture of him!
    1.0 2013 Firefly
    1.0 2013 Black Pastel
    1.0 2013 Cinnamon
    0.1 2015 Leopard Butter Pastel
    0.1 2015 Stinger Bee
    0.1 2016 Pastel Pinstripe Disco Fire
    0.1 2015 Dumeril's Boa