Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,409

2 members and 1,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Omg mites burn everything

OKAY, so mites. Someone stole my wallet a couple days ago and I have literally had the worst week ever. In any case, I noticed my Banana spider has a couple mites on him! Long story short, I freaked out, betadine bathed him and practically set his old enclosure on fire. Vacuumed like 500 times, disinfected everything everywhere- I almost considered repainting the walls. I am just freaking out. People are telling me water alone won't kill them but I don't have any money to buy the relief for him because my wallet was taken! I am so upset I could just die. I still see mites under his scales and it's just breaking my heart. If they are just dead and still under there are they okay to just be there? I am so sorry to freak out, I am just having the worst, worst week. I put him in an entirely new enclosure my grandmother brought over for me (tub) and she gave me a couple dollars to buy a baby heating pad. But I don't have a credit card for the online ordering crap.
    - Freaking out bree
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-27-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Language

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts
    Ok first... breathe. Both of you will get through this.

Second, when you soak your BP add a tiny drop of dish soap to the water. It will decrease the surface tension of the water to help drown the mites. Your BP shouldn't look like it's taking a bubble bath - a teeny drop will do!

Third, if you have a bit of cash - or your grandma will extend you a loan - go to WalMart. You will need:
    - NIX or RID lice treatment with the 2 oz (59 ml) cream rinse that has 1% permethrin in it. The "family pack" has two of these bottles.
    - a container to mix 1 gallon of water with the NIX/RID. I've used 2 empty 2 liter soda bottles.
    - a clean spray bottle

Combine one of the 2 oz NIX/RID bottles with 1 gallon of clean water. Mix very well (warm water helps with this). Pour some into the spray bottle and use that to treat your BP's enclosure, hides, and newspaper or paper towel that you will be using for substrate. Mites climb so be sure to get up under the lip of the tank, and spray some on the outside of the tank as well. Do not treat the water bowl with this!

Once everything is dry you can put the snake and a clean water bowl back into the enclosure. I also keep treated and dried paper on hand so it can be quickly replaced when the snake makes a mess.

I also don't treat the snake directly with the solution but some people do wipe some onto their snake from the neck back, then rinse it off after a few minutes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Zombree (05-27-2014)

Thanks

Re: Omg mites burn everything

Thank you so much! You are so helpful. I can't tell you what an awful week this has been. I will take all the help I can get. Peach thanks you, too. That's my little banana nana. He's a sweetheart.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

(Continuing EDIT: No one ever believes he is a banana spider, so I showed him compared to his brother because I know I will get heat :/ Whatever.
    Last edited by Zombree; 05-27-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Here is him compared to his brother, I am preparing myself for the heat I am going to get on this post.

Thanks
    Since you have multiple BP's go ahead and treat all of their enclosures - mites travel.

Also I'd contact the 3 credit reporting agencies and put a lock on your credit so whoever stole your wallet can't open lines of credit under your name.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Zombree (05-27-2014)

Thanks

Bcr999, I did call my credit agency and have them cancel all my cards, but it sucks hard my license and my school ID are missing Plus all those damn fortune cookie slips I was hoarding in there.
    All the other snakes are on level 15 quarantine, practically wearing hazmat suits. Poor little things. I bathed and scrubbed every single one of them- even those who were separated by room's distance. While doing so I absolutely disinfected their enclosures. Nothing- not even hope was left alive in their tubs after I was done. But I will probably redo them again later because I really do have a phobia of parasites. The damn burmese is the hard one! Both of them! Harbingers of destruction. They don't make tubs big enough to mite treat those. I mean they do but dear Lord it is difficult. Wish me luck, friend. Thank you so much for the advice.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-27-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Language

Thanks
    The mites wont KILL him or harm him aslong as they are drowning, its just the will never stop spreading without "chemicle treatment" so GL with getting them gone they are Satans spawns, and iv only ever had to treat 1 snake in QT with them and the devils spawns died in couple days (with nix as i cant get PAM in canada for cheap) but gorgeous snake and Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CORBIN911 For This Useful Post:

Zombree (05-27-2014)

Thanks

So, I tried my best to give him a soapy bath and no mites came out from under his scales Maybe they are dead and just stuck? Or I completely blow.
    I am not entirely sure but it is completely disheartening. No store around me sells the reptile relief. And veterinary costs will literally saw off your arm if you even mention a reptile. And to poor Deborah, I am sorry I keep cursing. It's definitely a family trait. I'll try to moderate. Oh and I am sorry about that advertising thing, too back in like March. I definitely didn't read the Terms of Service. I did today, though. Lengthy one there. But not unreasonable.
    I wish Brian was here from BHB so I could give him like, 5000 cups of ramen for just one thing of Reptile Relief. Just one.

Thanks

Thanks Corbin! I love him! He's my heart!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zombree View Post
    Bcr999, I did call my credit agency and have them cancel all my cards...
    I was talking about putting a freeze on your credit with the credit reporting agencies, not cancelling cards with your credit card company (though obviously that had to be done too). The reporting agencies are EquiFax, TransUnion, and Experian.

If someone has your driving license and other info in your wallet, it's likely they have enough to open new credit accounts under your name unless you put a freeze in place - and eventually the folks who think you owe them money will find you. While the mess can be cleaned up, doing so is as much a pain in the patookus as getting rid of mites.

Thanks

Well crap, you are right. I didn't think about all that. I am screwed. Mind = Blown.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast