Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

3 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What Would You Get?

Hey all!

Not to jinx anything, but I will be picking up a(nother) PVC enclosure on Saturday that I got for a wicked deal! It's a 48"x24"x12" locking PVC - identical to my other PVC enclosure. I found it on Kijiji, used in great shape. Talked the guy down to $80!

Anyway, I am hoping to put something new in there within the year. I have a smaller tank (15 gal) that will be ready to go by the CRBE in Toronto in September, in case I get a baby of some sort. I have a few possibilities with this tank in the future, and am wondering what you would do! As of right now I have my beautiful, strong 2 year old snow corn (female), and my juvenile pinstripe ball python (male). They are in a divided 48"x24"x24" PVC enclosure, and after few months of proper quarantine I will be stacking the vives.

Right now I am stuck between getting another snake - which would be easier for me to care for and leave when I need to - and a blue-tongued skink, for a more affectionate pet.
    I want something that would use the space; and I don't mind customizing it a bit if I need to (some mesh on the top, extra vents, dividers for more down the road, etc.)
    I feel confident in my herp skills and would like to try something a bit more intermediate or larger.

Here's my top picks in no particular order: Brazillian rainbow boa, red tailed green rat snake (although it is more arboreal I've read...), blue-tongued skink, other larger colubrids/rat snakes.

What would you do in my situation, or what other herps have you had great joy/success with as pets?

Thank you for the feedback!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    I'm so far behind caging wise, I'd just put something I already have in it. If your looking for something new, what kind of things interest you?
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts
    BRB or male BCI

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

NH93 (05-23-2014),Robs_slgf (05-27-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'd say not to get a BTS, unless you have someone who can take care of it when you go away for the long weekend or on a vacation.

As far as snakes, BRB are wonderful, I'd get a male if I were you as the females will require a larger area. They require much higher humidity than the snakes you currently have though, so you'll likely need to add a moss flled box to provide a spot for it to go.

another option is move the corn up and leave the BP at the bottom. You've only had the corn for 2 years and the BP for less. Sometimes it's nice to enjoy them for a while before getting another. If you get a new one every year you'll quickly have 2 dozen - much less time on your hands, higher bills etc.

Thanks
    Rickey you're no fun
    I have only had them both since last year, actually. Got them a month apart (the corn was already a year when I got her). I'm not looking to remove the divider on the vive I already have because it cost a pretty penny and I don't want to ruin it!

I've been doing quite a bit of research, and it seems like the requirements for BRBs are almost identical to BPs... but keeping up the humidity won't be an issue anyways. PVC and all. Moist hide is also not an issue - I use those already. I won't be going into this blind-sided, believe me I do my research beforehand!

I go away for about 10 days in the winter and 10 days in the summer every year to fly to visit my parents, however I wouldn't be too worried about finding someone to feed a lizard, especially because it's not mice and rats like it is with snakes.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Re: What Would You Get?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
    I'm so far behind caging wise, I'd just put something I already have in it. If your looking for something new, what kind of things interest you?
    As mentioned (in no particular order): Brazillian rainbow boa, blue-tongued skink, and other large colubrids/rat snakes on another forum someone mentioned a Woma, but I think they are pretty expensive if I am not mistaken.

I just really want something that will utilize the space. I have been leaning towards the skink because they are a bit more affectionate than a snake I might get more out of it in that sense.

Thanks
    Brb and balls require quite different requirements. Balls need a hot side of well over 90, where a Brb could be killed with temps even close to that. Brb also need humidity of 70-80% compared to balls needing 60-70%. And putting a red-tailed rat snake in that enclosure would be a terrible idea. They are a very arboreal species that gets large and loves to climb.

You really should move one of your snakes you currently have into it. Both corns and balls need more than a 2x2 space when full grown IMO. I'm really not trying to come off as if I'm harping on you, just trying to help you make a decision that's beneficial to the needs of your snakes.

Thanks
    We have our larger blood pythons in the same size cage. They really love the space.
    The collection is growing:
    1.0 Dumerils Boa (Khardeen), 0.1 Spider Ball Python (Charlotte), 0.1 Pastel Ball Python (Serenity), 1.1 Mojave Ball Python (Atreyu, Starr), 1.0 Black Pastel Ball python (Vader), 0.1 Enchi Champagne Ball Python (Monroe), 1.0 Enchi Ball Python (Apollo), 1.0 Citrus pastel yellowbelly ball python (Mellow Yellow), 1.1 Fire ball pythons (Fuego, Pele), 0.1 Pinstripe ball python (Vera), 1.0 Pastel Calico ball python (Monty the python), 1.0 X-Gene ball python (Wesley), 0.1 Butter X-Gene ball python (Buttercup), 0.1 Bumble Bee ball python (Honeycomb), 1.1 Red Blood Pythons (Armond, Mina), 1.1 Matrix Red Blood Python (no name, Trinity), 0.1 Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake (Lilith), 1.0 Albino Honduran Milksnake (Boros), 1.0 Desert Kingsnake (Crowley- King of Hell), 0.1 Banded Albino Kingsnake (Rhapsody)

Thanks

Im throwing my vote in for the Bluey...i currently have a male and female IJ and they are awesome! Very affectionate and intelligent. They come up to the doors of their cage when i walk in the room and if they want out they will paw at it...if not they look at me and the turn around and go bsck in their hide. My blueys and my tegu are by far the coolest two reptiles i have owned. What species of blueys were you looking at? I will say lizards do require more attention/interaction than snakes especially the more intelligent ones, but i take mine out while i clean or watch tv and they just perch on my shoulder and hand out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

NH93 (05-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackal_727 View Post
    Brb and balls require quite different requirements. Balls need a hot side of well over 90, where a Brb could be killed with temps even close to that. Brb also need humidity of 70-80% compared to balls needing 60-70%. And putting a red-tailed rat snake in that enclosure would be a terrible idea. They are a very arboreal species that gets large and loves to climb.

You really should move one of your snakes you currently have into it. Both corns and balls need more than a 2x2 space when full grown IMO. I'm really not trying to come off as if I'm harping on you, just trying to help you make a decision that's beneficial to the needs of your snakes.
    Balls do not need a hot side "well over 90F" - in fact, 90F is spot on what their hot spot ought to be. A 10% humidity difference, in my opinion, is not much. Not enough to scare me away from a BRB. Of course they are from very different parts of the world, but both of those places are hot and humid. To me their care is much closer in comparison than with that of, say, a North American colubrid (which is what I meant in my previous post; I apologize for any confusion there). Obviously I will do plenty of research before I bring anything new home!

I simply put that I am interested in RTRS but I agree with you that it wouldn't do well in a 12" high enclosure. I didn't suggest I wanted in there, just that I am interested in them. So, for someone who has more knowledge of other species (thinking other rat and boldly-coloured snakes), I was hoping they would comment with another idea seeing as I am interested in RTRS.

I disagree with you that my ball or corn will need a 4" cage all to themselves. As long as they can comfortably stretch out in their own enclosures (being that they can spread one side of the length and one side of the width and no more) they will be fine. Neither should reach more than 4ft, as the corn is a female - and about full grown - and the ball is a male. This could definitely change, but I can deal with that down the road if that ever were to happen.
    On that note, both are climbers (the ball python more so than the corn; I know, it sounds odd). I could not in good conscience reduce the head space they have, knowing how much they utilize it.

I do appreciate your suggestions though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast