Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

1 members and 3,136 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Thanks

Help

Okay, I have been lurking around absorbing information on ball pythons while im holding her for my friend. And i have realized I am doing quite an amount wrong. First things first- bought a hygrometer and thermometer at walmart today that i've heard about and I'm REALLY concerned. her hot spot? WAYYYYYY TO HOT. How do I get the temp down ASAP? I realize I need a thermostat for this right? recomendations on where to pick one up quick!? Room temp is at 85 and the humidity is 45% how can i make one side cooler during the summer when my dad refuses to use the AC? Now I also realize this means I must have really bad hot spots for my milk snakes too. I need to get more of the thermometers and thenostats quick to fix everything. suggestions? where do i get them? should i shut the heat pad off for now? The Bp is not burned thank goodness but i really need to fix this quick. Also how will i raise humidity during shed? they are in glass aquariums with locking screen lids. other than that i'm pretty sure eveything is good.. i feel so bad about my snakes >.< My mom had corn snakes when we were younger and we did nothing of this sort to test temps! please help.. I didnt mean to be a bad snake keeper...
    Last edited by owl307; 05-20-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks

Re: Help

I would go to Home Depot and get a dimmer switch then find out what thermostat you want to order. You can cover part of the screen with plastic wrap that should help you with humidity.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks

For a quick help, you can grab a light dimmer from Lowes or Home Depot. While this will take some playing to get the temps right it will bring your temps down until you can get or order a thermostat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    God Bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    _____
    1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Piebald, 1.0 Pastel Butter Spotnose
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.2 Western Hognose (normal and purple line albino)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If the rooms air temp is 85 I would turn the hotspots off.

Why and how is the room air temp at 85? 78-80 is just fine and your snakes will he fine at that temp without a hotspot.

I love herpstats and they ship quick. I have had them arrive in two days before. They also make tstats that can control 1, 2, or 4 separate devices.

http://spyderrobotics.com/home/products.html

You can use many different things to cover a portion of the screen. 45% is not that bad though and a good daily mist should be all you need. Also using cypress mulch will help hold humidity.

Tell us more about your setup so we can better help you. Pics would really help.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-20-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts
    First, relax. A constant temp of 85*F is ok for a ball python without any additional heat. So, unplug the heat sources for now, until you can get thermostats. Just keep in mind that if your house cools off at night you will need to provide supplemental heat.

Second, the humidity. You can wrap the screen top in almost anything - aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc - to keep humidity up. Just leave opposite corners open a bit for ventilation, and use a wide, shallow water dish that allows a lot of water to evaporate.

Third, the corn snakes. Not sure if a constant 85*F is ok for them or not, I keep my colubrid's ambient temperatures a touch cooler than my boas and pythons. They reportedly soak to cool off if they get too hot, so give them a water bowl large enough to do that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-20-2014)

Thanks

my Father doesnt Use Air conditioning half the time in the summer, which means hot room temps. we consider ourselves lucky when he turns it on for company. I'm going to turn the hot spots off for the night then and grab pictures tomorrow. the Aquariums consist of 2 hides, one on either side and a water dish in the middle with Aspen bedding. Thanks for all the quick help! I will grab light dimmers ASAP and then order some thermostats. I feel horrible not realizing how off the conditions were

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    First, relax. A constant temp of 85*F is ok for a ball python without any additional heat. So, unplug the heat sources for now, until you can get thermostats. Just keep in mind that if your house cools off at night you will need to provide supplemental heat.

Second, the humidity. You can wrap the screen top in almost anything - aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc - to keep humidity up. Just leave opposite corners open a bit for ventilation, and use a wide, shallow water dish that allows a lot of water to evaporate.

Third, the corn snakes. Not sure if a constant 85*F is ok for them or not, I keep my colubrid's ambient temperatures a touch cooler than my boas and pythons. They reportedly soak to cool off if they get too hot, so give them a water bowl large enough to do that.

don't have the corns anymore. we had them years ago. I have milk snakes now and have them larger dishes. Will they do the same?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Why waste money on dimmers when it could go into tstats? Your ambient temps are fine and your snakes could live just fine at 80-85 without a hotspot.

Dimmers have their own issues and are not as safe as tstats especially in a house you have no control of the temps and they can fluctuate.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Very true. I only suggested a dimmer for a temporary solution for high temperatures. But unplugging would work for sure with ambient temps at 85. Wish I could not run my air as much. Darn chinchilla.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    God Bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    _____
    1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Piebald, 1.0 Pastel Butter Spotnose
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.2 Western Hognose (normal and purple line albino)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by owl307 View Post
    don't have the corns anymore. we had them years ago. I have milk snakes now and have them larger dishes. Will they do the same?
    Yes they should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast