Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

0 members and 3,188 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    You should calculate out the statistics for bites and deaths by the size of the animal population. If there are millions more dogs than snakes, it's only obvious that there would be more bites. The question is more what's the percentage chance of being killed by a single dog or a single snake according to the statistics.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slashmaster For This Useful Post:

MarkieJ (05-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

My Response to ignorant peoples comments about me

It really bothers me because people uneducated in the subject think and talk as if I'm somehow putting my kids in danger by keeping these animals. Especially when said people have dogs the size of horses. Not that the dogs are a danger but is keeping snakes certainly are no more of a threat to them. People just fear what they don't understand. But as a responsible parent I absolutely need to set the record straight when such accusations are made. Not only are they safe, they teach respect and responsibility it gives my kids and I something that is "ours" that bonds us. Something as mundane as spot cleaning crap may turn out to be some of the most memorable time I spend talking with my kids growing up. Always after all that point being when people say dumb things I really think its on us to put the truth about our hobby out there one person at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rob; 05-15-2014 at 08:44 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Mr Oni (05-16-2014)

Thanks

Re: My Response to ignorant peoples comments about me

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It really bothers me because people uneducated in the subject think and talk as if I'm somehow putting my kids in danger by keeping these animals. Especially when said people have dogs the size of horses. Not that the dogs are a danger but is keeping snakes certainly are no more of a threat to them. People just fear what they don't understand. But as a responsible parent I absolutely need to set the record straight when such accusations are made. Not only are they safe, they teach respect and responsibility it gives my kids and I something that is "ours" that bonds us. Something as mundane as spot cleaning crap may turn out to be some of the most memorable time I spend talking with my kids growing up. Always after all that point being when people say dumb things I really think its on us to put the truth about our hobby out there one person at a time.

Well, actually I guess we could be putting our kids in danger by subjecting them to these snakes!
    If we don't make sure the kids get a good education, work hard, and get a good job they will not be able to afford this addiction, causing them to seek psychiatric help!!
    Hahahahaha!!!!!😂

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Morris Reese For This Useful Post:

Rob (05-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slashmaster View Post
    You should calculate out the statistics for bites and deaths by the size of the animal population. If there are millions more dogs than snakes, it's only obvious that there would be more bites. The question is more what's the percentage chance of being killed by a single dog or a single snake according to the statistics.
    Dogs get registered, snakes do not in most places. So I'm not sure how you would get that number.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Something as mundane as spot cleaning crap may turn out to be some of the most memorable time I spend talking with my kids growing up.
    I have spent lots of quality time with my daughter cleaning/feeding the snakes. Wait until they clean the for you! It's really cute when they think they are sneaky and want to surprise you with having cleaned the snakes. I love it when my daughter tip toes into the kitchen for a garbage bag and gloves while I'm cooking dinner.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (05-16-2014),Marrissa (05-16-2014),Rob (05-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts

It really bothers me because people uneducated in the subject think and talk as if I'm somehow putting my kids in danger by keeping these animals.
    Because your kids are going to get eaten one day Rob! Think of the children!
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

Rob (05-16-2014)

Thanks

I love it!I have heard the what about the kids thing so many times,my kids love the snakes,all of them,have no fear of them but tons of respect!I have a hundred pound pit bull,that DOES bite and no one says a word but that my house is robber proof!It's crazy but I never argue I just laugh,they are ignorant and missing on the greatest stress relief and the thing that actually saved my relationship!

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to richiquick For This Useful Post:

Rob (05-16-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    Because your kids are going to get eaten one day Rob! Think of the children!
    Such a logical point!!! Lol :p

Thanks
    Slashmaster is the most accurate person on this topic. You can't compare statistics of an animal that is ever-present in the America household to an animal that is a niche market. Furthermore, you'd have to calculate in time of interaction - how often are snakes handled versus say time where your dog is in reach to actually bite?

I get the point you are trying to make, but posting statistics is about as reliable as a used car saleman's word. Just let it go in one ear and out the other. I have no idea why you're so rustled, but people bring up points for the sake of argument, not to pursue the truth or have their mind changed. When someone actually wants to learn they'll initiate differently.
    0.2 Huskies - Twilight (not the movie) & Dusty Rose 1.0 Doberman - Daemon
    0.1 Normal - Nefertiri 1.0 Albino - Tut 0.1 Albino Spider - Tiyi 0.1 BEL - Isis 1.0 Spinner - Imhotep 0.1 Super Pastel - Anaksunamun 1.0 Cinnamon - Ramses
    0.1 Any Boa - Maya 1.0 Albino Boa - Quetz
    0.1 Boss

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zee-man For This Useful Post:

OsirisRa32 (06-28-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zee-man View Post
    I have no idea why you're so rustled
    Because I was told I and any parent that keeps and teaches their children about snakes are irresponsible parents. When it couldn't be further from the truth, and they are just ignorant and misinformed on the subject. The only reason I made the dog comparison is simply because they keep large dogs, not because it was an apples apples comparison.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast