Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

0 members and 3,286 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Silly Question: Washing the Snakes

I usually just use water and let them swim around in it, but is there a way to clean clean them when they go through their poo? I've heard of people using additives (soap, oils, etc., etc.) but my guess is that soap would be an irritant.

Also, around shedding time, I've heard of people using additives to make the process easier. Is there any legitimacy to this claim or should I not waste my money on such a product?

Thanks for responses guys: )

Thanks
    snake skins are pretty much water tight, so soap is ok, as long as you rinse it off really well. if you notice irritations, either change the soap or don't use it. i only use unscented anti-bacterial soaps.

if your snake is shedding normally, then no need for other stuff. all they need is just proper humidity, and perhaps a soak when in blue will help, but my snakes shed fine without it. the only time oils and other moisturizing stuff are useful is to remove bad sheds. but the best thing to do in this case is correct the root cause of bad sheds which is improper husbandry (low humidity).

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts
    I've never used anything to help with shedding other than keeping the enclosure humidity up.

I do keep a stash of unscented alcohol-free baby wet wipes on hand for those occasions where the snake has become... artistic. The cheap generic ones actually work better than the name brand ones, as the wipes are a bit thicker/stiffer, so they are less likely to tear.