Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

4 members and 3,100 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Looking into uromastyx

So just recently uromastyx have caught my eye. From what ive read they are very similiar to bearded dragons when it comes to care except they seem to eat more veggies then insects. Im specificly looking at the yellow uromastyx. Anyone keep these and know of a reputable place to get them?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    1.1yellow belly
    1.0 desert enchi
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 het russo
    1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 spider
    2.0 normal

1.0 striped corn
    0.1.0 normal corn

1.0 columbian rianbow boa
    1.0 super hypo bci

0.2 leopard geckos

0.1.0 water dragon

Thanks
    I don't keep them, but I've done a little bit of reading on them. From what I've read, they are pretty much vegetarians, and they like it a bit hotter than beardies (basking spot around 120F, if I recall correctly). I've always heard good things about Deer Fern Farms (http://www.deerfernfarms.com/), but have never dealt with them personally. They have been breeding uros for a long time, and deal with a lot of different species.

Hope that helps
    1.0 2013 Firefly
    1.0 2013 Black Pastel
    1.0 2013 Cinnamon
    0.1 2015 Leopard Butter Pastel
    0.1 2015 Stinger Bee
    0.1 2016 Pastel Pinstripe Disco Fire
    0.1 2015 Dumeril's Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Uros are awesome. I have never ha a bearded dragon but uros do need a lot higher temp. They only really eat veggies too. They get their protein from dried beans. I keep wood on top of my tank to help keep the temp up and contain the heat.

I got 3 right now and will be picking another up this weekend.

They need a pretty big tank too. 4x2 works but I find having a longer tank then that makes it easier to still have a cool end with such high temps.

You can keep more then one though in a tank which is cool but you can't have multiple males and it is really hard to sex uros. Their are guidelines to sexing them but even Rhodes don't always work out.
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    I recently got a baby ornate uromastyx from Ben Siegel. I currently keep him on millet seed in a 55 gallon roughneck tub with two 10 gallon tank lids zip-tied to the top to hold the heat lamps. I keep his tank air temps from 82-105 and the basking spot has surface temps from 115-135 depending on the distance from the lamp. I feed mine spring mix, other assorted greens, whatever veggies I have on hand, tons of edible flowers, and cactus pad. He also has constant access to a bowl of assorted beans, split peas, lentils, seeds, and iguana pellets. I don't plan on giving him any bugs.

He's so freaking adorable. I've heard they become pretty inactive as adults, but as babies they are constantly roaming around. They do just about as well around people as beardies too.

1.0 normal - Nibiru
    1.0 hypo pinstripe - Bellamy
    0.1 normal - Camila
    0.1 pewter - Penelope
    0.1 ivory - Veronie
    0.1 kenyan sand boa - Sanders
    1.0 anery stripe ksb - Cookies
    1.1 angolan pythons - William and Catherine
    1.0 western hognose - Clarence
    1.0 Mexican Black kingsnake - Ricardo
    0.1 Brazilian rainbow boa - Nijiko
    1.0 banana ball python - Tango
    2.1 ranitomeya imitator tarapoto - Lipstick and the boyfriends
    0.2 ornate uromastyx - Bennie and Millie

Like me on Facebook!

Registered User futurereptilebreeder's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Looking into uromastyx

I keep an ornate, and he is awesome. I've had him for 2 1/2 years and haven't fed him one insect. I feed him collards everyday with the occasional piece of kale, some spring mix, and some shredded carrots. I dust twice a week with vitamins and minerals. I keep a basking spot of 120-130 with a zilla mini halogen dome that uses 25 watt mini halogen heat bulb. I also keep a "24" reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb on. At night i don't give any heat because my house usually stays 75F & up(you can keep a uth for night if your house is cold).I keep mine on newspaper for easy cleaning and don't keep a water dish in the cage because they get hydration from the greens and veggies. If you get one, I also would suggest holding yours often so it doesn't spazz out like mine. I would look into ornates if I were you because they have crazy colors. Oh yeah and I feed lentils too.
    Last edited by futurereptilebreeder; 05-26-2014 at 11:53 PM.