Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,159

4 members and 1,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Who here is a biologist?

Quote Originally Posted by colton62 View Post
    I'm a junior in high school. I play football too. I want to go to college and get my bachelors in biology and major in zoology. How tall/heavy are you. Position. And lift maxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im 5'9" 160 lbs my squat max is 250 bench max is 205

I played defensive line and linebacker

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Thanks

No trying to sound like a douche but being realistic. The average NFL linebacker is 6'1-6'3. 230-240lbs lean muscle. Those actually aren't bad numbers for a freshmen. I bench 275 squat 405 as a junior. Although colleges don't seem to look at your determination. I have a friend who is 6'5 360lbs and is getting offers at offensive tackle which is also what I play. I severely undersized at 200lbs 6'. Like I said I'm not trying to be a douche or anything but the chances of you even making it to college for football are slim at linebacker or defensive line. I had the same dream and learned eventually that it just wasn't going to happen. So from football player to other fellow football player. Please don't rely on the NFL or expecting to play college ball because you'll end up disappointed.

Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Yeah I know.. Genetics suck. I don't know where I get my height from. My mom is 5'5 and my dad is 5'6 . Its cool though I guess.

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I work way harder then the 6'5 guy too. I know it sucks lol. Id love to play college ball

Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    i dont know your education system, but for now, to maximize future potential, i think you should be interested in all natural sciences. especially physics, biology, and chemistry. mathematics and logic will also help (in german we call them "pure sciences", while not being empirical, they still are sciences, and they help with all natural sciences). the specific direction you want to go should be decided at university level, not earlier. you cannot pick one natural science and fully seperate it from the others. life powers itself and builds itself with chemistry, and physics determines the success of certain strategies. like the body structure of the giraffe, or the ability of spider hatchlings to fly with the wind using a single thread of silk.

the seperation between different subjects does not exist in nature / reality.

watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0h_uI-Dmb4

and just for fun, this one, because it never fails to send shivers down my spine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nnwvoH-4XI if your mindset has not already been changed by science, it will be. and if you think that sticking to just biology can prevent it, i dont think you will be a good biologist. i think picking up any natural science will have philosophical consequences. we are stardust.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

If a person has a passion, they should follow it. Going into physics when your passion is biology will lead to disappointment, frustration, wasted time, and failure. Its been seen time and again when people study something they don't care for.

Also, going into biology doesn't mean that's the only thing you study. Any good school will have you studying all related disciplines, plus some unrelated "electives" for a well rounded education. I decided in grade school I wanted to be a biologist. I followed that dream and went to school for biology. In the course of getting my degree I took general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, calculus, statistics, English, world history, sociology, psychology, philosophy, environmental science, gis, urbanization, world religions, animal behavior, earth sciences, geology, physiology, genetics, and more. Being a biology major I had to take quite a few actual biology classes, but as you can see the was quite a bit more I had to take. I actually took extra classes to round out my education even more.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Also I know people who loved biology but had to change majors because they couldn't handle all the additional studies they needed to complete.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks

I was going to school for zoology, with my speciality being herpetology. Hope to start back up here soon. I'd like to get a job as a field biologist, good luck to us both haha. as for classes,environmental sciences, animal kingdom if your school offers it, and whatever else you can pertaining to the field of animals.
    Last edited by kylearmbar; 05-01-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Thanks
    i meant: especially physics AND biology AND chemistry. i think the place to go for one specific subject is at university, because the education before that will not allow you to get deep enough into one subject anyway. the difference between a teacher and a professor is that one of them has actual experience with scientific research. teachers are educators, while professors are chosen for their depth of knowledge and their scientific accomplishments, their skills at educating are secondary.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    i meant: especially physics AND biology AND chemistry. i think the place to go for one specific subject is at university, because the education before that will not allow you to get deep enough into one subject anyway. the difference between a teacher and a professor is that one of them has actual experience with scientific research. teachers are educators, while professors are chosen for their depth of knowledge and their scientific accomplishments, their skills at educating are secondary.
    I don't know how it works where you are from, but over here, in order to even get a degree in a subject one must go to a college/university. Also to even get a job in certain fields (especially the sciences), one must have a degree, and the level of that degree (bachelor's, master's, or phd) depends on the specifics of the job desired. The higher the degree desired, the more University time required, with more concentration on that specific field.

All of that said, you aren't going to be able to get a degree studying JUST one subject. All of those subjects I listed are all of the subjects I had to take to get my degree, AT the University. The classes I took in high school and earlier don't even count toward that college degree, except for the advanced placement (basically college courses while in high school) classes. I actually tested out of some of the classes I was required to take for my degree, since I took them in high school as AP classes. That freed me up to take other courses instead, and actually get extra credits (and more education).

Further, you can't even take just one subject while in grade school. Just like college degrees, getting your high school degree requires education in a variety of subjects. I'm not sure if its just a difference in culture, a language barrier, or if we are describing the same thing in different ways, but I really don't understand exactly what it is you are trying to advocate.
    Last edited by sorraia; 05-01-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast