Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

0 members and 3,255 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    My degree is in Biology but I'm taking a break to run my online store and get settled. At some point, I'm going to go back to school and aim for a PhD .

I did use to work as a researcher although my field was marine ecology.
    0.1 Ball python
    0.1 Kenyan sand boa
    1.0 Colombian rainbow boa
    1.0 Black milk snake
    2.0 Crested gecko

2. The Following User Says Thank You to swolek For This Useful Post:

lilnash0 (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    I have a degree in art history and currently working as a receptionist at a doctor's office. :/ I'm building up a solid reference before I start working nights and go back to school for biology. I want to teach high school bio eventually. Some advice from a person that totally wasted a four year degree: you will have to work for free. Whether its volunteering, interning, etc, you will have to. I wish I had, because once I was on the market for a job, I had a degree but no experience in the art field while my peers had been gathering experience working in galleries or museums or studios. So now, while I probably make the same wages as them, I don't have a career. I have a job. Don't let that happen to you! While you're still in high school, do some extracurricular stuff. See if your school has bio- or animal related clubs. If there aren't any, or you aren't interested in the ones that exist, start your own! Definitely take advanced science courses (AP, IB, or what have you). It won't always be roses, but stick to your guns and you'll be fine
    -Hannah

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Wednesday)

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal (Pugsley)
    2.0 Cinnamon (Peep & Tank)
    1.0 Lesserbee (Lemon Meringue)
    0.1 Super Pastel (Dollop)
    0.1 Pewter (Trifle)
    0.1 Hypo Pastel (French Toast)
    0.1 Mojave (Tiramisu)
    0.1 Pastel Sugar (Boston Creme Pie)

Thanks

Re: Who here is a biologist?

Quote Originally Posted by lilnash0 View Post
    I live in Chicago.. I saw a guy on here who I personally think has the best job... He goes herping for a living. Dream job. I was just wondering what high school courses I would need to take to become one of those people with that job.. I have a 3.7 gpa and I never get in trouble. So I don't know what I would need to get a scholarship or something. Nobody in my family has ever gone to a 4 year college and I want to be the first. My mom went to medical school but I don't know if that counts. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    Hey sweetie. I have a BS in Biology and Chem, a MS in Chemistry and a PhD in Admin. If you really want to be any kind of scientist, you need to take as many higher level science and math classes that you can while you are in high school. I do not know what is offered at your school, but at a minimum you need to take biology, chemistry and physics during high school. If your school offers and AP Environmental class or a anatomy/physiology class, you will want to take one or both of those as well. You will also need to take (at a minimum) Alg I, Alg II and Geometry. If you want scholarships, you need to add pre-calculus, calculus and/or trigonometry as well (depends on what your school offers).

Hope this helps.
    LadyByrd
    1.1 normal bp
    3.0 humans (lol )
    0.1 german shepherd/blue heeler
    1.0 Rotty/lab/border collie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyByrd For This Useful Post:

lilnash0 (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    I have a PhD in biochemistry and a BS in biochemistry with a minor in biology. Although my PhD is in biochemistry, with the research I did it easily could have been a PhD in biology or molecular biology.

"Biologist" is such a broad term. There's been some great advice. Since you're in HS, there are lots of opportunities for you to get your feet wet. There are "field biologists" who go out and study nature; even that can encompass so many different things. Then there are biologists who work in the lab and do research. So I would start thinking about what kind you want to be.

I would try to find some opportunities to do some work/internships during the summer. Examples might be to see if your local university has any summer programs where you can work in/with a lab. (And by lab I mean a research group. It could actually be in a lab doing benchwork, or a lab who does [mostly] field based work).

My university I got my PhD from had a summer program, you had to apply for it, but we always had a HS kid or 2 during the summer who would come work in the lab. I'd usually get a mini-project set up for them to get some exposure to working in a research lab doing various things. It's great experience to build up for college and can really help steer you towards what you want to do (or don't want to do!).

It can be hard work, and not everyone is cut out for it, so you definitely want to know what you're actually getting into before going down that path.

And as someone who has experience in this field, I would strongly recommend getting exposure. It's not all fun and games and adventure like you see on TV or might imagine. It's hard work, with long, tedious hours. Plus, the field is being strongly damaged and hindered by cuts in funding, which can make things hard. But if you truly love it, then there's no substitute for doing what you love, just know there challenges beyond just getting your education that are worth being aware of.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234