Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

0 members and 3,313 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: haziness....

Thanks

i need help

i recently noticed my cal king's eyes have began gettin hazey, now is that because he is bout 2 shed or is it another condition???? thanks!

Thanks

my favorite male

First of all, welcome to the site!

By hazey do you mean there getting to be light blue and clouded over? If so, then yes he is about to shed. His eyes will clear up in a day or two, then it will be about a week give or take before he actually sheds. You'll want to up your humidity to 70% during his shed time if you haven't already.
    Danielle

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome!

Bambi is right, that he's likely in shed mode. But I will have to politely 'adjust' the rest of her statement .

You don't need/want to get your humidity up to 70% with a kingsnake - for a ball python yes, but not a king. As a matter of fact, you really shouldn't need to worry about your humidity or do anything special. Just be sure he has something rough to rub on so he can start his shed (like a branch, etc). You should also make sure there is water just in case he wants to soak to help things along.

Also, it's generally a stressful, vulnerable and uncomfortable time when snakes shed. So it's best to leave them alone. I don't handle or feed my snakes until they've completed the shed. I just keep changing water, checking temps, etc. They can be a bit nervous/nippy at this time. The eyes and body become cloudly/blue/opaque - whatever you want to call it. Then the eyes will clear up. 1-2 days after the eyes clear up your snake will shed. The entire process usually takes a week (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Some snakes may eat during shed (particularly after the eyes have cleared), especially kings, but I prefer to just leave them in piece until they are done.

When she's done she'll be all shiney and new!
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thanks for catching that Tiger. I'm sorry I was in BP "mode", forgot we were talking about a kingsnake :roll: The things I write when I'm absent minded sometimes
    Danielle

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL. I've done that before myself. Actually, after reading your post I forgot what forum I was in and was thinking BP as well. Then when I hit back on my browser I say that I was further down the page near the colubrids forums and doubled back.

Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I'm not alone today! I feel better now j/k
    Danielle