Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,417

2 members and 1,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

High temp and high humidity

Dear all pioneers here:

I am new guy in town, please kindly give me some help for my beloved Alex (girl, 8 month, original bp, named by my girlfriend).
    I just got her this Sunday, before that, i have read all kinds of material and forum for a year.

Now the problem is: where i live is around 30 degree up whole year (Centigrade) , and the humidity is 75%-90% whole year.
    i put indicators into her box, the temp is around 27-29 degree at night and 31-33 degree at day time, and the humidity is around 75%-90%
    problem is the humidity might too high for BP (as i read, need to keep at least 45% and up to 65%)

is any good way to reduce the humidity and if i keep high humidity in this temp, will it caused RI to Alex?

Thank you in advance.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Welcome to the site!

The humidity will be fine, the parts of Africa where BP's come from gets even more humid most of the year:

The only time you need to be worried about humidity is if it is causing condensation to form on the inside of the cage.

As for temps, is 31-33 C the temperature of the entire cage, or just the hot side?
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 04-22-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

shalala0527 (04-22-2014)

Thanks

Re: High temp and high humidity

thank you so much!
    for the temp, whole cage is 28(at night)-33(day time)
    I did not make cold side and warm side, should I do it? and how?
    BTW, I live in Bangkok, Hot, wet...
    it's really good environment for Golden python instead of ball.. but the size is way over than what i can accept..

and I wonder, if i keep this high humidity, will Alex get RI?

Thanks

And another details is I use aspen as bedding. My girl friend pointed out, Alex might accidentally eat it while she is eating, then hurt her digest system.
    Someone recommend to use kitchen tissue instead aspen, does it also help to deduce the humidity?

Thank you for kindly reply!

Thanks
    The chances of your snake developing RI from high humidity are low, especially with your high cage temperatures.

Are you using any supplemental heating? (heat lamp, heat pad, etc.) Or are your cage temperatures a result of your local climate?

ideally you will have half of your cage be 26 C and the other half be 32 C but you might not be able to do so because of your local climate.

What type of cage do you have? (Glass tank, plastic tub, wood enclosure, etc.) Aspen is humidity neutral so it shouldn't be contributing too much to your humidity issue. Paper towels are a good choice as well for substrate. If your snake eats a small amount of aspen it shouldn't be a problem, but large amounts can cause issues.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    The chances of your snake developing RI from high humidity are low, especially with your high cage temperatures.

Are you using any supplemental heating? (heat lamp, heat pad, etc.) Or are your cage temperatures a result of your local climate?

ideally you will have half of your cage be 26 C and the other half be 32 C but you might not be able to do so because of your local climate.

What type of cage do you have? (Glass tank, plastic tub, wood enclosure, etc.) Aspen is humidity neutral so it shouldn't be contributing too much to your humidity issue. Paper towels are a good choice as well for substrate. If your snake eats a small amount of aspen it shouldn't be a problem, but large amounts can cause issues.

I did not use any supplemental heating device, so i think it is hard to create a cool part as 26 degree.
    Now I am using the plastic tub, with cover. only the cover has metal net to exchange air. I am thinking to make a couple of holes at tub body to make better air flow, does it works for lower humidity?
    and I put one bag of desiccant, made by carbon and sth else, i am not sure it will help to lower the humidity, but at least worth to have a try.
    As my girlfriend just mentioned, here is Thailand, high temp and high humidity..
    Last edited by shalala0527; 04-22-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    Adding holes should help some, but if the ambient humidity is really high there might not be much you can do about it. I really wouldn't worry about it, The BP's natural habitat gets just as humid most of the year.

Adding a desiccant might help, but many desiccants are toxic, so I would advise caution adding some into your cage.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Adding holes should help some, but if the ambient humidity is really high there might not be much you can do about it. I really wouldn't worry about it, The BP's natural habitat gets just as humid most of the year.

Adding a desiccant might help, but many desiccants are toxic, so I would advise caution adding some into your cage.
    I also asked for the guy who sell me snake, he said, change to smaller water pot might help, but the problem still the environment here is super high humidity. If next two month, raining season coming, the humidity perhaps can reach 100%

Also someone suggest me to use fan to increase air flow after i got holes, worth to try?

Thanks
    keep the cage well ventilated, high humidity wont cause RI as long the cage has a fresh air all the time, IMO

Thanks

I dont know about all the humidity mess anymore. The temperature stuff, yeah maybe. Out of the last 3 sheds, Ive had the humidity around 70-75%. And the sheds were bad and crappy. This last shed, I couldnt keep the humidity above 40%. And it was the most perfect shed ever. Im sure somebody will say somethin about it. But, what i do, works for me. So just do what works for u.

Sent By Me.
    1.0.0 Anery Red Tail Boa (P3PP13)