Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

2 members and 3,153 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Albino price

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I got some exciting news from the breeder that I got my ball from.. Seem the shipment got mixed up and he is 60 to 70% Het for Albino. My question is if I breed him what would I have to breed him to to get albino what would they be worth one the open market? I have seen them for 500 to 2500 and up.

P.S if I do breed him and get albinos I will sell them to someone on the forum for say 200 plus shipping and Modorater would like one contact me and we can decide on a price.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Albino price

You would need to breed your 66% possible het albino to another possible het, definite het, or an albino and have the odds come up in your favor in order to end up with albino hatchlings. That's not to say it's not possible, just that it's kind of a roll of the dice as to what you end up with. For a more thorough explanation, read this thread: http://www.ball-pythons.net/PNphpBB2...erozygous.html What albinos are currently going for is about $2000, give or take, with 100% hets running about $600-$1000 (depending on breeder, level of contrast, etc.).

PS - I'm moving this where it belongs.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Freakie_frog: it all depends on how patient you want to be, how much inbreeding you are willing to do, or both. First of all, it is usually pretty difficult to find a mature female. If you're lucky, you may still be able to find 2003 females but they are going fast as breeding season is coming up. If you bred him to a normal female, you would then have to raise the female up and cycle her according to your routine. Also, there's no guarantees you'll be successful, which is why some people usually have multiple females (up to 10) for each breeding project. You would then have to grow up all the daughters and breed the father to them once they become mature.

Now, for first generation results, you'd need to find either a 100% het, or an albino female. However, that will cost a fair bit more money, especially if you get multiple females. Also, there's no guarantee that your male is het; a 66% het is only a possible het, meaning he may be a het, but he may also not be. The 66% just refers to the probability of him being het, not how much het gene is in him.

Anyway, if you're serious about proving him out without it getting too expensive, I would personally buy 2 100% het females. At least that way, if you get all normal offspring 2 years in a row, you'll know it's your male that's missing the gene as opposed to having to guess which one it is. Of course, if you just want to breed for fun and don't mind getting normals, just get a 66% het female and take a chance. You'll only have a 44% chance of producing albinos, but it should be fun all the same, and who knows, you might get lucky =)
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks
    i agree with everything above also. my thoughts are don't waste your time with a possible male. 100% het males can be bought for 150-250.00 possible hets are really gambling. some people buy the whole clutch and raise/breed them. i personally would get 100% hets (and then it is still not guaranteed) i've seen some 100% het pairs for as low as 650-750.00. be real careful who you buy hets from, they better have a visual albino in their house!

thanks

vaughn
    you can't have just one!