Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

0 members and 3,209 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeling overwhelmed

Greetings all,

So I have been feeling quite torn lately. I currently have 7 ball pythons and just don't have the passion I had when it was only a couple. I am debating on looking for new homes for them and keeping one of them. Between family, school, (working full time on Software Development Bachelor's degree), aggressive job hunting, and my somewhat neglected woodturning business as of late something has to give. Im not asking for pity or to get bashed on. I am hoping for some honest advice if rehoming is a good idea or maybe it just a rough patch.

List of snakes
    Charlotte - Female Spider
    Delilah - Female Yellowbelly
    Leo - Male Pastel
    Whiskey - Mohave
    No Name - Male Bumblebee
    Monty - Male Normal
    Monda - Male Normal

Dan

Thanks

Re: Feeling overwhelmed

I went through a very similar situation with my parrots. I hadnt lost any passion but the amount of time and energy that went into them was running my life. I never had time for friends or family. Between the diet, the exercise, and the training I was spending all my free time with the birds. I did love it, dont get me wrong, but if I decided I was gonna go out with friends after work, that meant that the birds didnt get out of the cage for that night. So then I would feel bad. Ulitimatley I decided to rehome them. I feel it was the best decision I could have made. All of them were taken to the same facility and evaluated. My favorite girl was put into the breeding program. From what I understand she fell right into place and was very happy being a mama. I think you need to ask your self how you will feel about your decision down the road. IMO if the passion is gone then it wount be long before you start to, and i use this word loosley, resent them for taking up time that you feel is better spent else were. If you decide to rehome them dont be afriad to ask the new potential owner even the dumbest of question. make sure you are confident that they will be taken care of properly. There is nothing worse than wondering. best of luck with your desicion.
    0.1 normal Ball python ( Penelope A.K.A lady P)
    0.0.1 normal ball Python (Cryptic)
    0.0.1 anery KSB (Sweets)
    1.0 demon seed cat ( Jack A.K.A any colorful explitive)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carbn8 For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-16-2014)

Thanks
    I would be inclined to tell you to wait it out, to be honest. They're not dogs; they're not going to suffer if they don't get handled and individual attention. As long as you can keep their enclosures clean, refresh their water and give them food once a week they'll be okay.

That said, if you're really struggling and not only are they not fun but they're stress for you rehoming would not be a bad idea. I would suggest letting them go in order of desirability - from most to least. You'll have an easier time placing females and morphs than you will male normals.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-16-2014),Pyrate81 (04-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

I went through a phase/period of about 2-4 years(estimated) where I hardly touched my snakes and turtles. There was a lack of joy and interest with them for a time. But they were mine and I wasn't just going to give them up cause I knew I'd regret it, I stayed dedicated to my animals. I Kept up with the weekly routine of cleaning/feeding/watering. In the last 2 years, I jumped from 5 to 12 snakes and the love/interest/fascination for my reptile kids has returned stronger than before.

One nice thing about reptiles is that they are a hobby pet and don't need the attention, as CptJack said. So you can, in a sense, put them down and pick them back up later. But by no means neglect them as they are animals.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (04-16-2014),Gio (04-16-2014),Marrissa (04-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts

There is nothing wrong with looking at your life and your priorities, and realizing that something has to give.

Do your family/kids help with them at all, or do you do everything? I combine family/kid time with cleaning time after dinner, my daughter holds the snakes while I clean the tubs.

Also, you have seven listed... are they in a rack or do you house them in tanks? Tanks take a lot more time for maintenance, where I have 22 BP's now spread over three racks, and can keep them cleaned and watered each day with just a few minutes work.
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-16-2014 at 04:51 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-16-2014)

Thanks

I vote in favor of waiting it out! You care enough about them too come here and ask for advice and it shows even more through the fact you'd let them go to friends and family instead of shipping them off to strangers. That being said only you know what the right thing to do is, follow your gut.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with looking at your life and your priorities, and realizing that something has to give.

Do your family/kids help with them at all, or do you do everything? I combine family/kid time with cleaning time after dinner, my daughter holds the snakes while I clean the tubs.

Also, you have seven listed... are they in a rack or do you house them in tanks? Tanks take a lot more time for maintenance, where I have 22 BP's now spread over three racks, and can keep them cleaned and watered each day with just a few minutes work.
    They are all in tanks... which is annoying personally and a constant fight with humidity and such. I want to build custom enclosures that I believe would provide better housing for them but have been receiving plenty of flak from the HCINC (House Commander in Chief aka wife) about changing things up even though it would take up less space then all these 40 breeders. Overall I think i just really need to downsize the amount that I have.

Thanks

Go for some racks! The snakes don't care about how pretty the tub looks as long as they are fed and feel secure in a clean safe home. It will take so much less of your time that you may just want to keep all of them. The ease is ridiculous especially if you get more tubs than you need. Then cleaning can take seconds. Frees up a lot of fun time vs cleaning time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Ball pythons:
    -0.1 Normal (Lilith)
    -1.0 Dark Normal
    -0.1 Light Normal
    -0.1 Pastel
    -1.0 Lesser

Retics:
    -0.1 Platinum
    -1.1 Fire Tiger Het Albino
    -1.0 Purple Sunfire
    -1.0 Tiger
    -0.1 Lavender Tiger
    -1.0 Motley Het Purple

Boas:
    -0.1 Hypo BCI
    -1.0 Hypo BCI (Hades)
    -1.0 EBV Red Group Hypo Pastel BCI (Ares)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Isis)
    -0.1 Anery BCI (Medusa)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Hera)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Athena)

Blood Pythons:
    -1.1 VPI Super Stripe Mead Line Borneo Ultra Breit

Epicrates Striatus Striatus
    -1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boa

Burmese Pythons:
    -1.1 Albino Burmese

Anacondas:
    -0.2 Yellow Anaconda
    -1.0 Yellow Anaconda

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Expensive hobby For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-16-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Expensive hobby View Post
    Go for some racks! The snakes don't care about how pretty the tub looks as long as they are fed and feel secure in a clean safe home. It will take so much less of your time that you may just want to keep all of them. The ease is ridiculous especially if you get more tubs than you need. Then cleaning can take seconds. Frees up a lot of fun time vs cleaning time.

I have only seen pictures of rack systems. If I remember correctly the heat comes from flexwatt typically and use of a thermostat. I currently use a two light system which is annoying to say the least. Everytime I need to open the tanks I have to turn off the lights move them out of the way (typically onto the tank next to it) do what I need to do then move the light back. Which of course for some dumb reason these bulbs hate being moved, can and will go out when the store is closed and I am conveniently out of replacement bulbs. I like the look of the animal plastics housing but those get quite pricey really fast. Suggestions?

Thanks

AP economy rack?

Ball pythons:
    -0.1 Normal (Lilith)
    -1.0 Dark Normal
    -0.1 Light Normal
    -0.1 Pastel
    -1.0 Lesser

Retics:
    -0.1 Platinum
    -1.1 Fire Tiger Het Albino
    -1.0 Purple Sunfire
    -1.0 Tiger
    -0.1 Lavender Tiger
    -1.0 Motley Het Purple

Boas:
    -0.1 Hypo BCI
    -1.0 Hypo BCI (Hades)
    -1.0 EBV Red Group Hypo Pastel BCI (Ares)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Isis)
    -0.1 Anery BCI (Medusa)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Hera)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Athena)

Blood Pythons:
    -1.1 VPI Super Stripe Mead Line Borneo Ultra Breit

Epicrates Striatus Striatus
    -1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boa

Burmese Pythons:
    -1.1 Albino Burmese

Anacondas:
    -0.2 Yellow Anaconda