Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

5 members and 3,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Swollen eye help

Hey everyone I am trying to identify what caused my Boa's left eye to swell up. She is actually a friends, however when I help him clean his snake room she is the one I am the most fond of, so it really hurts to see her so uncomfortable.

Symptoms are : Orbital area around eye is swollen and raised. Due to her rubbing that side of the face she has broke some scales which has since seemed to have gotten infected too. She is very gentle, however you can tell that when approaching the left side of her face she gets startled due to her lack of vision.

If I get feedback on me allowing it to get this far I completely deserve it, I thought it was something small that would just go away and I didn't act preventative and now it has gotten worse. I have an appointment set up in two days to make sure this is curable at this point. I read into two possibilities, the first being an Abscess near the eye that has the infection spread around the socket, or more hopefully a Lacrimal Duct blocked by fur from a recent meal.

In the meantime if anyone has any experience with this type of situation or either of the two possibilities I mentioned above, your help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

On my profile I uploaded pictures of the boa, there will be descriptions there. Check em out please.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    1. I am glad you have an appointment set up for her. She definitely needs a vet at this point. I hope your vet is a qualified herp vet and will be able to help you and her.

2. We all make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up too much for it. So often things like this do start out as something simple that will most likely go away in time. We don't always need to leap out the door to get to the vet's office at the first time you see something tiny. The important thing is that you are taking steps to help your snake now.

3. It appears to me to be an abscess of sorts. One that may have been broken open due to her rubbing. Abscesses don't usually cause too much undue discomfort, but being near or at the eye, it could very well have been painful. She may loose the eye at this point. I would like to think a talented vet could save it, but at this point, loosing her eye is a real possibility. However, if that proves to be the case, snakes do very well with only one eye. And if the infection is arrested, that is the most important thing.

Good luck!! Do keep us posted and let us know what the vet says!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?