Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

2 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutering?

Thanks

Neutering?

Does anybody have an un-biased opinions on neutering a dog? like your experience etc..? just trying to decide what's best for my pet.. I have never have any intention of breeding him.. every website I go on just seems bias in one direction so just thought I'd ask people on here who have had there pet neutered or anything?

Thanks
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts
    I only have a female dog, but unless you are showing or breeding, I see no reason for a male dog to remain intact. I know a lot of people will wait until the dog is closer to a year old before neutering, but I like that it reduces marking and aggression too.

Sorry I don't have first hand experience!
    ~Marissa~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marissa@MKmorphs For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-03-2014)

Thanks

Re: Neutering?

My family raised and showed wire fox terriers for decades. Once a dog was out of the show circuit or not breeding, it was neutered. For a male dog, you'll will have a better behaved pet, no indoor marking... One of our males was always marking furniture and almost destroyed an antique chair. We neutered him and he stopped. There are studies that it reduces some medical problems. And it's the responsible thing to do. There are millions of dogs in shelters that are basically waiting to be put to sleep... Part of the reason they are there is someone who wasn't ready to be a responsible breeder didn't have their dog neutered. It's an easy operation for the males too...there really is no negative to neutering your dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Leyla

1.1 - Normal BP - Kismet & Persephone (reduced pattern)
    0.1 - Hypo Butter Bee - Andromeda
    1.0 - Green Pastel - Loki
    0.1 - Black Pastel Harlequin - Harley
    1.0 - Citrus Pewter - Hansel
    0.1 - Sumatran Short Tailed Python - Eleanor Rigby
    0.1 - Borneo Short Tailed Python - Maharet
    1.0 - Blood Python - Castiel (on acquisition)
    1.1 - Brazilian Rainbow Boas - Cupid and Khaleesi

Serpentine Design https://www.facebook.com/serpentinedesign

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leylaraks For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-03-2014),Jackie (03-31-2014),katiadarling (03-31-2014)

Thanks
    I'm for spaying/nuetering but I personally have had problems with a couple of animals. One developed myoclonus shortly after surgery (most likely he had distemper as a pup and made it [I adopted him]). I have no idea if the stress of the surgery actually had triggered it or if it was just a coincidence. I had to put him down because he couldn't pant, eat, or drink... poor baby.
    The second was another rescue who must of been used as bait (missing/ broken teeth, broken upper jaw and ribs) or tortured. She was a sweet dog but after getting spayed, she became extremely dog aggressive.
    But those are the only incidents that were negative. The rest were completely positive, but there is always a few animals (same with people) that will have negative effects after any kind of surgery.
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Hypo Clown; 1.0 Enchi Freeway; 0.1 Ivory pos. pastel, super pastel, butter (Penelope); 0.1 Hypo Chocolate GHI Pastel pos Vanilla (Smokey); 0.1 YB pied; 0.1 enchi YB/asphalt; 0.1 VPI Axanthic (Special Cookies); 0.1 Albino pos YB; 0.1 Hypo Clown; 0.1 Hypo Spinner
    Colubrids:
    1.0 Coachwhip; 1.0 Lavender ph hypo hoggie; 0.1 het hypo ph lavender hoggie (Fingermuncher)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I am very much for neutering, though I am biased what with being a vet-tech. On the medical side, when I was in a day practice, a couple times a year we'd have an older intact male come in with bloody urine and difficulty urinating due to an enlarged prostate. As the intact dog ages, the prostate continues to grow due to influence from testosterone. When it gets too large it can be painful/become infected/block the urethra. The fix for it is neutering as without the influence of testosterone it shrinks down to a small size.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

Jackie (03-31-2014)

Thanks
    After college, I had got my first apartment and happened upon an a Japanese Akita. They are huge dogs the size of, if not bigger than, Rottweiler and hairy like a Husky. The second I got him, I neutered him and my vet thanked me for doing so. He said neutering reduces the possibility of many ailments later in their lives as well as reduces their aggression. I did the same when I got a female Japanese Akita from the pound. I never wanted to breed but from everything I read back then, pre-Google, neutering/spaying was the way to go. They were very pleasant animals to be around. Cant say the neutering made them the calm, gentle animals that they were but I'm sure it didn't hurt.
    No Legs
    1.0 Vanilla Pastel - Knuckle Head a.k.a. Knuckles
    0.1 Mojave - Mojo Jojo a.k.a. Mojo
    1.0 Normal - Scarlos Estevez a.k.a. Scar

2 Legs
    0.1 Wife
    2.3 Kids

4 Legs
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Charlie
    1.0 Guinea Pig - Gary
    0.2 Red Eared Slider - Stella and Senorita Lumpi
    1.1 Pomapoo - Lawson and Lola

8 Legs
    ? Mexican Curly Hair Tarantula - Sir Luscious Left Foot

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Decreased likelihood of testicular ailments later on life
    No risk of accidental puppies to go to the pound later
    No drive to mate
    On average, better behavior and decreased aggression (not a guarantee; depends on housing environment and other influences)

Im all for neutering our pets; when you see how many animals are euthanized each week in shelters, population control pre-breeding is key.
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks
    I have THREE intact males. 2 of them are retired show/performance dogs (titles on both ends), who have completed their showing career and breeding career (well, I think the younger may be bred again, but that's not up to me, that's up to his breeder and coowner) and now are just pets, and the other one is a giant breed mix we're waiting until growth plates close to neuter on the young one. The older ones probably will never be, because I see no reason to - they are 5 and 7, the only breeding they have done was deliberately planned and set up, and they've just about no chance of ever impregnating a female (I'd say no, but well - things to occasionally happen). That leaves it really hard for me to see a point.

You need to be very sure of your ability to keep your dog away from intact females in heat (ie: to not let the dog breed and that means being sure of your fences, and keeping your dog out of places like dog parks and daycares), aware that most intact male ADOLESCENTS can be highly distractable nightmares, and that a lot of people find intact males have a target on them when it comes to other dogs and make them hate them.

There are some health benefits (lower prostate and testicular cancers)- there's also some studies that show some health RISKS (higher incidence later in life of bone cancers and body wide cancers). Some breeds neutering reduces the risk of same sex aggression. I have not found in my experience in MOST dogs that it makes any behavioral difference once they are adults. Things like marking and humping are training issues (my spayed females... one marks constantly on walks, and hte other hand a major humping problem as an older puppy that she's sense been diverted away from).

It's a personal decision, but really take a HARD, solid, GOOD look at your ability to prevent breeding first and foremost and then talk to your vet about what you want to do and get their thoughts. A lot of these benefits and risks, health wise, vary with the dog's breed, too. (Ie: the studies that show higher rates of bone and other cancers were rot and golden specific, where there's a higher rate of cancer anyway. Neutering increased those risks, but if there's a low risk of cancer to start with, it probably doesn't matter.)
    Last edited by CptJack; 03-31-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (03-31-2014)

Thanks
    I agree with captjack. I have not neutered our 2 year old dachshund.

1. Dachshunds have bad reactions to anesthesia as a breed in general.
    2. I have never had any issues with him marking in the house or with any aggression.
    3. I am of the opinion that we do not do needless surgeries on humans why do them on our pets. My husband and I are responsible pet owners and he isn't roaming the streets. I have a very close friend who lost her puppy during this surgery.
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

Thanks
    I groom dogs for a living and I do find intact males are in general harder to work with (especially those itty bitty land piranhas!). With that said, it really depends on the dog's personality and owners situation imo. If your dog is a well behaved, well tempered boy who can be safely kept from breeding (if that isn't an intention) then I see no problem with leaving him intact. There are health pros and cons so it's a very personal choice when it comes to that department.

I personally own an unaltered male bull terrier that is 1yr/3mo old and he's a joy. I wouldn't change him for the world
    Last edited by bad-one; 04-02-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast