Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Housing 2 BP's

Thanks
    Well i'm hoping to get another ball-python soon, along with a red-tail boa. However, i will have one set up for my pythons, and one setup for my boa.

I know everyone has their opinion on housing 2 or more snakes together. but i figured it's the cheapest way for me to go right now. So, when i get the new bp, what is the best way of introducing them together? One day, I will breed them. so i'm obviously going to get a bp that is the opposite sex of the one i've got now. The tank is plenty big for two babies. 2 hiding spots (i will add more when i get the new bp), it's a good 3 feet long, good heat and humidity.

the only thing i'm worried about is diseases and things like that. I'm well aware that if one has it, most likely the other will have it.

It's just 2 ball pythons...i'm not turning into petco and putting 5 snakes in with one hide...

any suggestions/tips?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm unclear - why are you doing this despite it being a bad idea? Is it because it's a cheap way? If so, how can having 2 sick snakes and 2 vet bills be cheaper? If you want to go the cheap route, how about setting up a rubbermaid? Less than 10 bucks for the tub, add a heating pad, use paper towels and butter tubs or flower pot bases for hides. Could easily spend less than $30 bucks on this setup.

I know, not what you probably wanted to hear, but it's another cheap alternative w/o risking the health and comfort of your snakes.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i'm gonna have to agree with tigergenesis on this one. you've read all the posts and stickies about why it is a bad idea right? you have to accept a certain level of responsibility with each pet and/or new pet that you get. part of that responsibility is financial. $30 is no big deal in order to make sure that you are providing a good and safe environment for your snakes. it would be better to get one snake rather than two, and to be able to provide the ultimate setup and care for that one snake, instead of only what you can get by with for the two snakes. you can always start with the boa now and then add the second bp later when you can afford the second setup.
    - Emily

Thanks
    It's actually a little weightier than mere opinion - like some people might have an opinion on leaving your pets locked in a car on a hot day - and some people might just say "No - don't do it - it's a foolish crapshoot". Diseases being but one point in a constellation of reasons why you should avoid this.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet
    any suggestions/tips?
    Yes, don't house them together. Plain and simple. Just because you're going to breed them in the future is no reason to house them together; ball pythons don't need to bond or get to know each other in order to breed. In fact, housing them together year round will most likely mean they won't breed for you.

As Tigergenesis said, housing two ball pythons together is no way to save money. Not to mention, it's a terrible idea from a husbandry point of view. If one regurges, how are you going to know which one did it? Or if there's unhealthy poop, which one pooped it? Or if one's not pooping, how are you going to tell which one is constipated? Not to mention, they may become stressed and not eat for you. Ball pythons are finicky enough about eating without having additional stress added to them.

I can totally sympathize with trying to find ways to cut costs, but housing ball pythons together is not the way to do it. I for one am not at all strict about how ball pythons are kept. For the most part, different things work for different people. I deviate from many of the recommended norms, because I have heard different ideas from different experienced breeders and I have formed some of my own ideas and theories based on them. However, there is no good reason for housing ball pythons together except for saving a very minor amount of money, and that is definitely not worth it in the long run.
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Housing 2 BP's

I'd say its okay to house two ball-pythons together if you had a room sized enclosure, like at the zoo.
    That is after a quarantine period, but I highly doubt you have a room sized enclosure, so its best if you don't house the two ball-pythons together.

Thanks
    i think that if you cant afford everything (said you wanted the cheapest thing) than dont buy it. dont make the pets unhappy (even if you think they have plenty of room) just so you can save some bucks.

just my
    0.1.0 Corn Snakes (jesse)

1.0.0 Ball Pythons (james)

1.0.0 Red Tail Boa (jeff)

Python John's Reptiles

Thanks
    yeah i'm going the rubbermaid route with all my new snakes. and you are right..$30 isn't at all expensive for a new house.

Thanks
    i do agree with everyone. and i'm sure there are more consequences if i do house them together... It was just a thought pending on my mind. i appreciate the feed back, and yes..they will be housed separately.

As for an introduction...can i take both snake out and let them visit with each other for 10-15 minutes on occasion..or should i keep them apart for the next few years? and if it's ok to introduce, how should i go about doing that?

Thanks
    after they have both been through sufficient quarentine and no problems are up,than you can have them out with each other at the same time

on how to do it: just take them both out, and do what you normally do with one, but with two, unless they seem to be overly aggresive, and one seems like its really stressed, then seperate them

(dont really expect much from them other than maybe crawling over each other though :wink: )
    0.1.0 Corn Snakes (jesse)

1.0.0 Ball Pythons (james)

1.0.0 Red Tail Boa (jeff)

Python John's Reptiles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast