Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: feed

Thanks

feed

even tho my asfs are food for my snakes i still tend to treat them like small pets so i would really like to give them a good variety of food. I've been feeding them carrots even get them to eat out of my hand. I've read they can eat cat kibble and or bird seed. any specific brands to avoid on the cat and which seed would best? on the care sheet it said the weened babies will tend to eat more seed and since i got 18 that are a week old id like to get the supplies setup ahead of time.

Thanks
    Avoid most any fruit or veggies. They're really meant to eat grains, seeds, and bugs, not any veg. Cat kibble is also not for them.

If you want to go all out, here is a general idea of a mouse mix, the ratios might not add up perfectly but it'll give you an idea of what to use

60-70% grains (brown rice, oats, barley, puffed rice, plain Cheerios, whole grain pasta etc. make sure you use mostly whole grains, and add the rest in moderation, avoid corn)

20% holistic dog kibble. Why holistic? You already have the grains covered, adding a dog food that is mostly corn and soybeans won't help as much as one made without extra grain.

10-15% seeds. Avoid sunflower seeds. Pumpkin seeds are great, you can get them free around Halloween. Thistle/niger, millet, and other seeds are good.

Other additions can include lentils, dried meal worms, and stale bread. Mine love rye bread, I can never seem to eat the whole loaf before it goes stale.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Rhasputin; 03-27-2014 at 01:50 PM.