Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

1 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Any suggestions?

I have a male desert. Give or take 700g. He hasnt eaten since the 26 of last month. I tried offering food but he just kinda defense strikes. He isnt showing weight loss but im kinda worried that he isnt eating. He just finnished sheding tonight. Should i try and feed him tomorrow? Why hasnt he eaten in so long? Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks

Re: Any suggestions?

Do you feed live?

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Thanks

My yellow belly boy hasn't eaten since the beginning of Dec. I just keep trying. It's the bp breeding season and boys are looking for girls. Just like teen boys always look for girls. I'm about to go on a 2 wk feeding try on him because he's not interested in food. Its normal unless they start loose a significant amount of weight, and look in really bad body condition. Mine was around 470 something and now he's around 450 something. I weigh once a week right before I feed. That way its empty weight not full weight.

Thanks

Well if you are feeding live, wait until night time. Go in the darkest room and put the rodent in a box and then put the snake in the same box

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilnash0 View Post
    Well if you are feeding live, wait until night time. Go in the darkest room and put the rodent in a box and then put the snake in the same box

Moving a snake that is already refusing food is only gonna stress the animal.

At that weight a few weeks is nothing it can be husbandry related, breeding season, or shed related.

Check your husbandry make sure your BP feels secure enough, has proper temps etc, and offer food no more then once a week.

He obviously knows how to eat you just need to see if you can help him resume feeding wether it is by making a few husbandry adjustment or by being patient or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-25-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilnash0 View Post
    Do you feed live?

Yes i do feed live.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtip View Post
    My yellow belly boy hasn't eaten since the beginning of Dec. I just keep trying. It's the bp breeding season and boys are looking for girls. Just like teen boys always look for girls. I'm about to go on a 2 wk feeding try on him because he's not interested in food. Its normal unless they start loose a significant amount of weight, and look in really bad body condition. Mine was around 470 something and now he's around 450 something. I weigh once a week right before I feed. That way its empty weight not full weight.
    Damn! Well the first couple weeks i had him he was a beast at eating. Didnt miss a meal nor hesitated to eat. But just when that time.of the month came around thats when he started refusing his meals. And i havent tried since a week ago.
    Last edited by kiddangel; 03-25-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Moving a snake that is already refusing food is only gonna stress the animal.

At that weight a few weeks is nothing it can be husbandry related, breeding season related.

Check your husbandry make sure your BP feels secure enough, has proper temps etc, and offer food no more then once a week.

He obviously knows how to eat you just need to see if you can help him resume feeding wether it is by making a few husbandry adjustment or by being patient or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He has eaten a lot before. His husbandry is the same as it was when he started eating. But just that time of the month came around and he just didnt want to eat any m ore.

Thanks
    He's just in "breeding mode". All of my males that are interested in locking up have been off of feed for 2+ months. The one's who aren't interested or are too young are still eating. Give him time & he'll start eating.
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Hypo Clown; 1.0 Enchi Freeway; 0.1 Ivory pos. pastel, super pastel, butter (Penelope); 0.1 Hypo Chocolate GHI Pastel pos Vanilla (Smokey); 0.1 YB pied; 0.1 enchi YB/asphalt; 0.1 VPI Axanthic (Special Cookies); 0.1 Albino pos YB; 0.1 Hypo Clown; 0.1 Hypo Spinner
    Colubrids:
    1.0 Coachwhip; 1.0 Lavender ph hypo hoggie; 0.1 het hypo ph lavender hoggie (Fingermuncher)