Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

2 members and 3,314 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python vs washing machine

I rescued a ball python from someone hoping to save it because it means a lot to a special young girl. About a month ago I was asked to come help find a snake that escaped from its cage stored above a washing machine. After looking for it I finally found it above the drum of the washer and pulled it out and noticed that it was injured and told the girl that I can take it and try to save it but be prepared if it dies from its injuries. Well a month goes by and it still is thriving and this morning I noticed that it was shedding so I wetted her cage down and came home for lunch and noticed that it now looks worse than it did before (look at pictures) and I don't want to have to put it down because this girl loves her snake. First picture is the day I got it next two are made today when she was shedding.

Thanks

Re: Ball python vs washing machine

Oh man. I'm new to this and already found a new love for these animals. Hope this one is strong and can survive. Good luck man.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thanks

Wow...
    Maybe its just the new growth coming in and looks red/pink because of it. (scar tissue) May want a vet to look at it for a second opinion.

I am sorta new at this all as well...

My fiance has had reptiles for just over 14y and I just have gotten into them over the last 4y I have been with him. (got my first 2 ball pythons this year) He had one when I got with him, and we got our lizards over the last 2y.
    Stephanie
    Indianapolis, IN

1.1.0 Pied Ball Python (Houdini and Daisy)
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python (Kaa)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Falcor and Cleo)
    0.1.0 Veiled Chameleon (Sassy)

0.0.2 Leopard Gecko (Laral and Hardy)

1.1.0 Cat (Mr Kitty and Miss Kitty)
    2.1.0 Dog (Ollie-Rott, Max-Herd and Momo-Red Bone)
    0.7.0 Chicken (no names)

((We Have A Petting Zoo counting our 4 kids too))

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I think the wound scabbed over, and when the snake shed the scab was peeled off. For the next day or so I would use some triple antibioitic ointment on it - not the kind with the topical anesthetic, that is harmful to snakes. In the meantime order some silvadene from http://www.mountainside-medical.com/ (they will sell it without a script), and use that after it arrives. I'd also keep the snake on paper towels rather than aspen or cypress to keep the wound clean and dry.

The silvadene is better since it's in a water-based ointment. Over time the triple will soften your snake's scales since it uses an oil-based ointment.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (03-20-2014),Alize-LowRod (03-19-2014),Flikky (03-19-2014),SnowShredder (03-20-2014)

Thanks
    I definitely think a vet visit is in order. Your buddy there may need some antibiotics. Good luck..
    No Legs
    1.0 Vanilla Pastel - Knuckle Head a.k.a. Knuckles
    0.1 Mojave - Mojo Jojo a.k.a. Mojo
    1.0 Normal - Scarlos Estevez a.k.a. Scar

2 Legs
    0.1 Wife
    2.3 Kids

4 Legs
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Charlie
    1.0 Guinea Pig - Gary
    0.2 Red Eared Slider - Stella and Senorita Lumpi
    1.1 Pomapoo - Lawson and Lola

8 Legs
    ? Mexican Curly Hair Tarantula - Sir Luscious Left Foot

Thanks

Yeah it needs to see a vet but she don't have the money for it and would rather see it die before spending a lot of money on it when she can replace it cheaper. Like I said it's not mine I'm just trying to keep it from dying to the best of my ability. I'm going to put some antiseptic ointment on it from a local vet and hope for the best. That's all the vet is going to do anyways

Thanks
    I had a corn snake that ended up with similar wounds due to a bad skin infection. She had open sores and needed injected antibiotics to get better.

Anyway once her open sores healed up she shed. After the shed the places looked very similar to that snakes/ I think it's part of the healing process. Keep everything VERY clean and make sure she is getting enough water. When they have open sores like that they can dehydrate quickly.

My girls ended up making a full recovery, she just has some scars.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

First, what you have there is part of the healing process, and when you think about what happens when a snake sheds, an inevitability. bcr229, already gave you great advice on what to do next.

QUOTE=bradthebanker;2232227]Yeah it needs to see a vet but she don't have the money for it and would rather see it die before spending a lot of money on it when she can replace it cheaper. Like I said it's not mine I'm just trying to keep it from dying to the best of my ability. I'm going to put some antiseptic ointment on it from a local vet and hope for the best. That's all the vet is going to do anyways[/QUOTE]

Second, if that really is the girl's attitude about the snake, it's incongruent with your earlier statement that, " it means a lot to a special young girl". Can't mean that much to her if she's just willing to replace it...also calls into question just how special she is, but that's another story for another time.

Please don't use the antiseptic ointment from the vet. 99.9% of the time what they give you will be oil based, and will destroy the snake's scales. Get the silvadene, and keep the area clean and dry.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

damustang (03-19-2014),RockNRollProcelain (03-19-2014),Shann (03-19-2014),Tarzan152 (03-19-2014),tlich (03-19-2014),ViperSRT3g (03-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    It looks a lot worse than what it actually is. And this is going to happen every time the snake sheds. But the wound will get smaller in time.

The tissue is already healing. And the subcutaneous tissue looks healthy and in one piece. No visual punctures or rips. Personally, it actually looks better than before to me.

Keep the snake on paper towel substrate. Keep the enclosure hospital clean.
    Clean the wound daily with Betadine. It's an antiseptic.
    And apply antibiotic cream (with no pain killer) on. The pain killer type is toxic.
    Using an oil based ointment vs cream in this case doesn't matter since there is no scales on the location to damage.
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-19-2014 at 05:41 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (03-20-2014),SnowShredder (03-20-2014)

Thanks

Well slim actually the little girl does love it and I didn't make it clear that her mom is the one that said that she could replace it. Sorry about that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast