Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

1 members and 3,115 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Setting up a tub with 2 UTHs?

hello all,
    I am planning on getting my first BP at the Atlanta repticon show in April and am setting up a quarantine tub. I do not separately heat the area the tub will be in so I was planning on using 2 UTHs (ultratherm 6" x 11"), each connected to a thermostat / probe, to maintain temps in the tub (going for a hotspot of 90 and a cool side temp of 80). I am planning on using a short tub (6-7") so thought 2 UTHs would work better than a UTH / CHE combo like I have on my taller boa tub.

My question for you guys, is what size tub should I get to accommodate both of these UTHs safely (i.e. should I pick a tub that has a lot or a little space in the middle of it between both UTH's) and which size tub would you recommend in general for a (probably young) BP? If you have a specific tub / brand recommendation that would be great. I'd like to get something that will work for several months and "clutter it up" if needed while the snake is smaller.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I'd recommend a 32 qt Serilite or an Iris MCB-L sweater box for 2 UTHs that big. Keep in mind that UTHs do little to affect the air temp. Yes, you will be able to create two controllable hotspots, but the air temp won't be too far from ambient on either end.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would recommend a 18 quarts tub http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=253&section=1 especially if you plan on an hatchling or juvy, you can always move the UTH a little if you do not want the entire bottom to be covered.

Remember that a RELIABLE t-stat is very important in this type of situation since if there were to be a malfunction with both t-stat this would leave your snake with no room to escape the heat if needed.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanks,
    Rebecca- That is why I was wondering if I would need to leave space in the middle uncovered by the UTH. I am planning on using ultratherms, so hopefullu they won't get too hot even if there is a malfunction. We get warm temps here in spring / summer so hopefully the 2 UTH situation will be temporary. I am hoping to get a rack system next winter (and to have a dedicated herp room) so this will only be an issue for a while.

After quarantine, the BP will be able to move into a vacant 20gl long that is your standard UTH / CHE setup. I will be foiling the top and using a large water bowl to help with humidity, but the glass tanks seem to hold temps much better.

Slim- It was my understanding that in very "short" tubs (i.e. 6") the UTHs have more of an effect on air temps... I was planning on using towels or foam around the sides to help insulate, but I don't want to have to deal with a CHE on a lamp stand like I have over my boa tub. The 6" x 11" were the smallest size ultratherms I could find and seeing as those are safer and don't get as hot as other UTHs, I chose them. I do have an old zoomed pad that is a lot smaller (about 4" x 6") that I could substitute.

Thanks for your advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    In a space that small, it will affect the ambient temp some. How much? You'll just have to set it up and take measurements. You can then make adjustments from there. That's why it's sooooo good that you're thinking about this before you get your BP! Very smart on your part.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Thanks slim,
    I guess I'll just set it up and see what happens I will probably get both the 32qt. and 18qt tubs and see which works better. Because I'm getting the snake at a show I don't know exactly what size it'll be, so that should give me more options.

I can't wait to move and have enough room for a dedicated reptile room that I can heat.. That will solve a lot of these issues. Now I know why so many do that, when I was just using glass tanks I didn't have many issues holding the correct temps.

Thanks,
    Artgecko