Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

0 members and 3,074 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

College student looking to get a snake(need advice!)

Hey guys, I'm currently attending college in Massachussetts(I live in California) and because I'm going through of a pet withdraw having left my two turtles, dog, and cat at home, I've been toying with the idea of getting a garter snake for our dorm(which allows small non-furry animals that can be housed in tanks).

I've worked out just about everything in my head, but the only thing that I'm unsure about is what to do during breaks. Before I think about getting the snake I know I need to have a plan for what I'm going to do with them during that time. We have three breaks: Winter(2 weeks), Spring(1 week) and Summer(3 months).

As far as spring and winter. I'm leaning towards leaving them there. I doubt a week would be a problem but I'm a bit uneasy about 2 weeks. I know garters eat more frequently than other snakes(unless of course they're on a rodent diet which I can't do ) so I'm kind of unsure. Do you think they would be fine for that amount of time, if so, what are some steps that I can take to make sure they have everything they need(extra water bowl? large meal before I leave, etc)

Now the real dilenma is what to do during summer. Everything has to be out of our dorms in the summer, so leaving him there, even if someone's supposedly caring for him, is not an option. Right now I'm leaning towards the overnight shipping route. FexEx him home in the beginning of summer then having him shipped back to me in the fall. Would that be too stressful on the snake to be shipped twice a year? If so what are some other options I could explore, or ideas for places where I could take him.

Sorry for the question overload! I just really need to get this straightened out, thanks in advance

Thanks
    In my opinion I would say it is a bad idea for your situation. The 1 week wouldn't be bad at all, but the two weeks would be tough. Someone would need to care for the snake while you were gone. Multiple trips like that would not only be really stressful on the snake but on you as well. No matter what anyone says, shipping a reptile is never 100% safe! I would personally worry myself to death every time I shipped my reptiles. I had two of the 3 snakes while I was in college but I lived close enough to drive so I transported them myself. Whatever you decide you number one priority should be the safety and health of the snake.
    1.0 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Bumble Belly

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Commandokev For This Useful Post:

slipknot711 (03-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    A snake can easily go 1 week without food. And if it's an well established animal, 2 weeks is no big deal either. Feeding a larger than normal diet right before you leave should help. But remember garters don't really expand as well as a ball python when being fed larger prey. Is there no one who can feed your snake while you are gone?

The 3 month summer break will be tough. Is there anyone who is staying at school off campus during summer that can care for your snake? Or perhaps find a local keeper or reptile shop to board your snake for those 3 months.
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks

Re: College student looking to get a snake(need advice!)

Thanks for the feedback so far, now that I think about it, I definitely agree shipping that often would probably be impractical. I'm stressing myself out just thinking about it and I haven't even gotten the snake

I've been looking around on craigslist and I found a couple sitters in western mass who say they take reptiles, I'm going to shoot them both an email and see what happens.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Another thing to check on is whether or not the dorms turn off the electricity and heat during the breaks. That 2 week winter break wouldn't be an issue for most snakes in terms of missing meals (although I don't know about garters), but it could be deadly if the snake isn't getting proper temps.

Maybe you could get friendly with a professor or something who would look after your snake while you are away? Like, people in the bio dept seem like likely candidates.
    Casey

Thanks
    you already have my email

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Going without the food for the week or two isn't a huge issue if it's only that once or twice a year. I wouldn't neccisarily recommend feeding it large meals or any meals just before you leave. Garters have high metobolizms so it could be sitting in its own fecies that whole time which, not neccisarily would, but could develop some issues. I had to deal with a rescue that had minor scale rot from an unclean tank.

It would be best to have someone at least check in on it while you are gone but it sounds like that might not be an option. I would say to not feed it the week before you left to hopefully have it's bowels cleaned out before you left. I would only recommend this with a well established heathy adult too. Not a hatchling or young snake.

The three months is the big issue. It would be best to know you have a secured sitter during that time. Having a local friend might even be an option but even if you have thy it would be best to know there is some kinda business sitter you can use if need be. Friends can bail out. Business will tend to always take in your animals if it's something they normally do. It would suck but if you don't have care for it during the three months(and to know it would be available each year)it would probably be best by to get the animal.
    Last edited by vangarret2000; 03-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    Always be Batman