Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,494

2 members and 3,492 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Dreams come true :)

I too would like to know plans for a new cage as well...glad you got your dream animal, but I hope you did your research as far as proper husbandry for this beast. My dream pet is a tegu but I have resisted picking one up because I havent built hos cage yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Dreams come true :)

I'm 100% open to suggestions. Also, yes I'm well aware of what I am in for and I wouldn't have bought him if I wasn't 100%. I have done lots of research over the last 4 years and we are in the final stages of buying a house with a separate room just to build his cage . I just threw this one together this morning, I was in a hurry to work. I will be spraying to keep the humidity up and adding plants/trees soon. I have had Savannah's in the past but I'm new to housing Varanus salvator, I would be more than happy to hear some tips from some of you that have experience with these beautiful animals. Thanks
    Last edited by Mrl249; 03-16-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks

Ok than

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrl249 View Post
    Ok then
    Can you just delete thus entire thread please

Thanks

Mods don't typically delete threads that haven't spiraled out of control. Is everything okay with your new friend?

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Mods don't typically delete threads that haven't spiraled out of control. Is everything okay with your new friend?

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    Thank you for asking, sincerely appreciate it. And yes I have just noticed she almost always has her eyes closed :/ is that normal? She sleeps a lot. But when we get her out she is a sweet heart and she opens her eyes and starts moving.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrl249 View Post
    Thank you for asking, sincerely appreciate it. And yes I have just noticed she almost always has her eyes closed :/ is that normal? She sleeps a lot. But when we get her out she is a sweet heart and she opens her eyes and starts moving.
    Eyes closed can be a sign of stress in lizards, kind of a if I can't see you then you can't see me thought. For the time being until you get her in a bigger cage, add deeper substrate so it can burrow, add some hides that only have one opening, or some corrugated plastic tubes that you see in the irrigation section of hardware stores that you can burry so they have tunnels, I have seen people do that for Tegus, also cover 3 sides of the enclosure so they can only see out the front vs the world all around them.

Also you may want to work on trust building, instead of just pulling it out of the tank, from what I have been told they have good memories and especially if you are reaching in from the top and grabbing them, its like you are a predator and that can scare them.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 03-18-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Eyes closed can be a sign of stress in lizards, kind of a if I can't see you then you can't see me thought. For the time being until you get her in a bigger cage, add deeper substrate so it can burrow, add some hides that only have one opening, or some corrugated plastic tubes that you see in the irrigation section of hardware stores that you can burry so they have tunnels, I have seen people do that for Tegus, also cover 3 sides of the enclosure so they can only see out the front vs the world all around them.

Also you may want to work on trust building, instead of just pulling it out of the tank, from what I have been told they have good memories and especially if you are reaching in from the top and grabbing them, its like you are a predator and that can scare them.
    Thanks so much for the advice! I just want to do the best thing for her. I will definitely try this and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Dreams come true :)

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Thank you! I skimmed through it about a week ago at work but now that I had the time to sit down and read it, I have been doing a few things wrong. I appreciate y'all's help so much. Lots to do! ... When I get off work ....
    Last edited by Mrl249; 03-18-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12