Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,430

2 members and 3,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Pearl andPearl Merle Rats - Info/Picture Thread

So many people have showed interested in Pearl Merles lately, thought I'd post an info/picture thread.

Question: What are the genetics behind Pearl Merles?

Answer: Merle is linked to any Mink based rat. However, it stands out the best on Pearl. Pearl is also Mink based. Both UK and American Mink can be Pearl Merle, but American Mink has the darkest splotches. Pearl can be varying shades depending on the penetrance (how much the gene is coming through).

Question: How do I produce them?

Answer: You need the Pearl and Merle genetics to produce Pearl Merles. While not extremely rare, they can be difficult to get under a breeding contract.

Question: Are Pearl Merle rats like dogs?

Answer: No, they are not the same genetics seen in dogs. Double Dilution Merle in dogs can cause health problems, with rats, there are no health related issues in Pearl Merle rats. That said, homozygous (two copies) of Pearl is lethal in utero.

Question: What is the difference between UK Mink and American Mink?

Answer: They can look quite similar, but are genetically quite different. UK Mink is generally lighter (but not always) in it's original form. It also dilutes less when combined with other dilutions. In other words, where American Mink x American Blue makes Platinum, UK Mink x American Blue makes a black eyed Lavender. Much darker, but similar shade. American Mink is better for Pearl and Pearl Merle based lines though.

Question: I have Pearl Merles, how do I breed for nicer Merles?

Answer: Remove all other dilutions (Russian Blue, American Blue, c-locus, etc) as the combination of dilutes makes for very poor Merles. Also, select for a darker shade of Mink and lighter shade of Pearl when choosing your breeding stock. Because remember this, the splotches are NOT black. They are whatever shade of Mink you are working with.

Question: So what rats can be Merle?

Answer: All Mink based. Cinnamon Pearl Merle, Pearl Merle, Platinum Merle, Platinum Pearl Merle, Russian Cinnamon Merle, Russian Cinnamon Pearl Merle, Cinnamon Merle, Mink Merle, etc.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post on this thread and feel free to contribute if you have Pearl Merles yourself. Picture spam now!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

j94712 (03-12-2014),nightwolfsnow (09-08-2016)

Thanks

Re: Pearl andPearl Merle Rats - Info/Picture Thread

Roan Merles

Rex Merle

Harley (long haired) Merle

Light Phased Pearl Merle

In these three photos there are Roan Merles (the blazed guys), Rex Merles, Light Phase Pearl Rexes, Harley (long haired) Pearl Merle and a Mink Merle.

Comparison between a Dark Phase Pearl Merle (bottom) and Light Phase Pearl Merle (top).

Same Light Phase Pearl Merle as an adult.

Light Phase Pearl Merle Hooded Doe.

Light Phase Pearl Merle Hooded Buck.Hooded is not desireable as you lose splotches.

UK Dark Phase Pearl Merles

Light Phase (on the right) UK Pearl Merle. Splotches will be non-existant as an adult.

UK Cinnamon Pearl Merle (center).

Comparison - UK Mink baby in the front, American Mink baby in the back.

Comparison - American Mink in the front, UK Mink in the rear. UK will get darker than this as an adult, but they are considerablly lighter (especially as juvies) than American, usually.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

aldebono (03-12-2014),Flikky (03-13-2014),j94712 (03-12-2014),John1982 (03-12-2014),nightwolfsnow (09-08-2016),Wapadi (03-13-2014),wolfy-hound (05-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Very nice! I work with merle myself but have not gotten them as nice as that. Thanks for the pics and info! I'll have some merle dwarves soon that I'm very excited about.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (03-12-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I really want some merle.... You guys need to be closer so I can pick up a few!
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Would you agree that the Merle gene in rats (lets say Me/* for argument's sake) is dominant? Or would you say it's (me/me) recessive?

It also sounds a bit like it's not so much 'merle', but splashed, like in mice. Splashed in mice is caused by a dominant gene (Spl/*) in addition to any c-dilution gene (ce c cch etc). It also shows up differently depending on the dilution level of the mice, which is similar to your 'light phase' and 'dark phase' merles. In mice, merle isn't really affected like that, and isn't connected to a dilution gene either. So if 'merle' in rats is connected to the dilution mink gene, would it be a stretch to say it's similar (if not identical) to the splashed gene in mice? Rather than calling it merle?

Everyone is calling it merle, not just you, so it's not necessarily incorrect terminology (since everyone is doing it), but I feel like it's the wrong name for the gene personally.

Edit: More info on splashed in mice. A splashed mouse is a diluted base colour with 'splashes' of colour that are not diluted. This is very similar to these rats.

Here's some splashed mice:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...B/DSCN4383.jpg

http://www.thefunmouse.com/varieties...plashedlg2.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/CIMG8629.jpg
    Last edited by Rhasputin; 03-12-2014 at 11:13 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Ahhhhh I don't want to nit pick (but I'm going to) but I think your (and maybe everyone's) terminology for 'roan' merle isn't quite right. Roan refers (as far as I know) to a mixture of white and coloured hairs (usually white and gray). Here is a merle mouse: http://www.eastcoastmice.org/im8iz6%20copy.jpg

The gray mixed areas are the 'roan' areas.

Here is a chocolate roan mouse: http://www.eastcoastmice.org/25owfly%20copy.jpg

please inform me if I am wrong, but I don't think the ones you labled roan meet the criteria. I think technically (if my assumptions about 'merle' actually being splashed is correct) they would be TRICOLOUR RATS!
    Last edited by Rhasputin; 03-12-2014 at 11:20 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (03-12-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Ahhhhh I don't want to nit pick (but I'm going to) but I think your (and maybe everyone's) terminology for 'roan' merle isn't quite right. Roan refers (as far as I know) to a mixture of white and coloured hairs (usually white and gray). Here is a merle mouse: http://www.eastcoastmice.org/im8iz6%20copy.jpg

The gray mixed areas are the 'roan' areas.

Here is a chocolate roan mouse: http://www.eastcoastmice.org/25owfly%20copy.jpg

please inform me if I am wrong, but I don't think the ones you labled roan meet the criteria. I think technically (if my assumptions about 'merle' actually being splashed is correct) they would be TRICOLOUR RATS!
    I'll answer your other post when I get home, but these guys are actual Recessive Roans. As in they gradually fade to white (unfortunately!). The breeder who had them before me mixed in UK Roans, American Blue, Harley, Satin, Dwarf and Manx (among other things). They do hold their color better than the actual Roan line I had though. But I really didn't want Roan in the Merle line, defeats the purpose. lol

Roans in the rat world can eventually silver out all of the way and turn almost white, other lines hold their color better.

Here is a three month old Roan Merle from that line. He's holding his color "meh", but I don't like the fact that the first thing to go is the spots! Makes me want to cry. lol
    https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...26865775_n.jpg

Thanks

Awesome rats but everything else is too scientific. I can follow gray ones and brown ones

Thanks
    Oh! So the 'roan' is technically a recessive gene separate from the dominant 'merle' gene? (that explains my confusion)
    I think in mice merle and roan are both recessives that are attached to one another. They act a lot like splashed, if splashed was recessive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Would you agree that the Merle gene in rats (lets say Me/* for argument's sake) is dominant? Or would you say it's (me/me) recessive?

It also sounds a bit like it's not so much 'merle', but splashed, like in mice. Splashed in mice is caused by a dominant gene (Spl/*) in addition to any c-dilution gene (ce c cch etc). It also shows up differently depending on the dilution level of the mice, which is similar to your 'light phase' and 'dark phase' merles. In mice, merle isn't really affected like that, and isn't connected to a dilution gene either. So if 'merle' in rats is connected to the dilution mink gene, would it be a stretch to say it's similar (if not identical) to the splashed gene in mice? Rather than calling it merle?

Everyone is calling it merle, not just you, so it's not necessarily incorrect terminology (since everyone is doing it), but I feel like it's the wrong name for the gene personally.

Edit: More info on splashed in mice. A splashed mouse is a diluted base colour with 'splashes' of colour that are not diluted. This is very similar to these rats.

Here's some splashed mice:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...B/DSCN4383.jpg

http://www.thefunmouse.com/varieties...plashedlg2.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/CIMG8629.jpg
    I'm quite jealous that Merle mice are so much nicer (in general) than Merle Rats. Makes me want to get some mice. lol

Pearl is lethal dominant, Merle is dominant (incomplete, I believe), in rats. It is not linked to the c-locus though, only to mm (Mink, both US and UK Mink can Merle).

Light Phase/Dark Phase Pearl depends on how much the Pearl gene is able to express. Lighter the Pearl, nicer the Merle, imo. But Merle is in no way linked to Pearl.

As I said in the original post, Merle in rats isn't the same as it is traditionally. I agree that it's not quite Merle, but the rat fancy has been calling them Merle since far before I started breeding. I own Blue Merle Rough Coat Collies, so..I can certainly wish the rats would looked like them (or mice). Then again, if I remember correctly, Merles aren't the same in mice as they are dogs. So, I guess rat breeders are just going on the "wishful thinking/hoping" route. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast