Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,439

2 members and 3,437 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Well, at about 3:30pm ET today she got here. The neighbour kid(the one that doesn't take care of his bp ) brought the box over to my house(I had my own SDS-Serpent Delivery Service ) and my heart skipped a beat. Couldn't wait to open that box. Apparently June, the breeder, must've expected it to be a rough ride home from Toronto to here, because she put her in a decent sized sterilite, then put it in a bigger box, and stuffed it with some strips of sponge foam she ripped out of an old couch of hers, lol. It was packed pretty well.
    So anyway, I pulled out the sterilite, and seen little Pelota laying on the side of the sterilite. Right away my Mom jumped in to take a pic of her in the sterilite. Then I carefully opened the lid slowly, so as not to scare her, and rubbed her back a few times to let her know I meant no harm. Then I picked her up, and fell in love. She's sooo tiny. Smaller than I expected. I was under the impression that she was 5 months old, but I read her health sheet and she was born on June 8th, so she's just nearing 3 months.
    Anywho, I wrapped her around my hand and she flicked her tongue everywhere, while my mom took some pics(from across the kitchen..lol) until I assured her that Pelota can't do any harm. Then she finally took some closer shots of her. Then Pelota started getting a little flinchy, so I put her in her littler sterilite again, for the short trip up to my room. Once I got to my room, I went to get her out. By then she was more than a little stressed from the 4 hour drive home, then some stranger trying to handle her. She gave out a cute little hiss, but never tried to strike. Very well tempered. So I gently scooped her up and placed her in her new home. She just balled up and sat in the middle of the tank for a few minutes as I watched her. So I figured I'd go downstairs to straighten up a bit. Then 5 minutes later I went back up and she was gone. Curled up under her cool hide. Since then she's yet to go explore her warm hide(I think it's a bit too warm for her right now...) but a few hours later after dinner, I went up and caught her exploring the water bowl(not going in it yet though). She seen me, and got in the strike position. Guess I spooked her. So I sat up there for the longest time watching her. After a while she got sick of me and went back to her cool hide, lol. So I stayed in my room for a good 3 hours and didn't see her at all. But of course, the minute I head downstairs, she comes out to explore. I went back up and she was exploring all over the cage. My sister and her boyfriend had just come home from the movies, so I called them up there. So for about 20 minutes we just sat in awe and watched her check things out. At first, she was a bit shy and frightened of us creeps peering in at her. But after a few minutes she quickly loosened up and was moving all over the place. She went up on her branch finally, so I got some nice shots(if the pics turn out ) of her getting all arboreal. After about 20 minutes she finally got tired of us(lol) and decided to curl up into her cool hide again. As a final "you're not gone yet?" she stuck her head out and flicked her tongue, only to retreat back in again. So we headed downstairs for a few hours again. Then 10 minutes ago I just went upstairs and she was up on her branch again. This time checking out the corners seeing a way to get out. Lol, she's too cute. Even my mom, who has a bad phobia of snakes, said she was a cutie.

Anyway, you're all caught up now. That was my first experiences with my first snakey. And I love her to bits.

Sadly, mother nature wasn't on my side today. She decided to keep the humidity index at a constant 80%, which put my tanks humidity to a high 70's most of the day. Now it's around 68-70%. I was wondering how long it'd be safe for the humidity to stay that way before I have to worry about an RI. Hopefully tommorrow will be dryer. If not, I might have to borrow a dehumidifier. I'm sure it's safe to be at 70% humidity for a day or two, but prolonged lengths of time can be bad. So I was wondering how many days do you think I could let it stay that high before worrying. Also, anyone have any tips to lower it? My room is all humid so I doubt theres much I can do.

K theres my super-long post. I seem to be known for those.

Edit: Oh yeah...before anyone ask about the pics. I haven't gotten around to buying a digital camera, so I had to get some film for my sisters cheap little camera. I currently have 18 pics taken, but I'm sure some will be crap. I did my best though. I'm hoping to get them developed on Friday, and I'm getting them developed, and put on a cd so I can hopefully(not promising anything..had trouble last time I got one of those pic cd's) upload some pics here.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Congratulations Cody! You sound like a very proud papa.
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-
    ....and lots and lots of feeder mousies.....

Thanks
    Congrats, Cody! Glad she finally made it home. As far as the ambient humidity being too high, a dehumidifier or or air conditioning is the best way to dry it out.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hurray! pelota sounds awesome! i think my eyes were bugging out of my head the first few days i have nellie from all of the sitting in front of her cage just watching her. :shock: it's mesmerizing. i think it's so cool that your mom was there snapping pics of you getting her out of the box when she arrived. i'd love to see some of those pics. congrats! :mrgreen:
    - Emily

Thanks
    omg i felt the same way i expected it to be kinda ya know big since i had never held a bp but when i took him out of his bag he was a friggin cutie pie. man i couldn't take it so i got him on tuesday and held him on friday and he was a an angel and he he sorta got to run around(when he escaped from my hands and then he came back. i didn't know about this site but when he wouldn't come out of his hide the first 2 days u guys helped me out and i wanna thnk u people for that but anyway cody she sounds like a really cool bp and i wish nothing but happiness to u and yr baby girl lol.
    Brian
    1.0 ball python-Reeses(u know the candy)
    0.1 sumatran blood python-shai (i miss you)
    1.0 JCP- spaz

Thanks
    Hehe, yeah she's a cutie-pie definitely. Today she was still in her cool hide. I woke up and changed her water. Then I pulled out some stuff figuring I'd check the hides for p00p. I assumed there wasn't any in the hot hide since she hasn't seem to have discovered that one yet. So I lifted up the cool hide, and there she was all curled up in the back near the glass. I started petting her to let her know I wasn't gonna harm her, and she started doing that cute hiss she does. So I figured "sorry girl, but I gotta move you to put your hide back" since I would squish her if I tried to place it back on her(she was too close to the glass to put the hide down). So anyway, I gently lifted her up, and she hissed a bit, but then settled down and started flicking her tongue. She's all hiss and no bite. So anyway, I put her hide back, and let her slither back in. That was our little 2 minute bonding session I guess, lol.
    Friday I'm buying 5 frozen mice from the local pet shop, and I'm gonna see if she'll eat friday night. I know that'd only be 3 days since I got her, but she's been fed on fridays all her life, and I'd rather not change that. And I don't wanna let her go till next friday. She's been pounding f/t since she was born so it shouldn't be a problem. But if she doesn't take to it, I'll give her another week and try next friday. Don't wanna stress her anymore than she already probably is. Wish me luck.

Thanks
    Luck! And congratulations. Can't wait to see pics of her.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

Thanks
    dude mine has never hissed at me. to tell ya the truth mine is sort of a wuss. everytime someone comes in the room real slow at night he runs. he only comes back out when i come in the room. i never heard him hiss period and mine has been pounding down small f/t mice so f i wanted to get him started on rats so i bought some rat fuzzies and it took him 3 min's before he graped it by the neck and got to eating it. i it wasn't hard at all to switch him. man i also have that problem he uses his bowl as a hide so when i change the water i always have to move him to his tree and then he gets down explores for 5 minutes then goes back under. and good luck with ur feeding. oh yeah reeses will be 3 month s this sunday!
    Brian
    1.0 JCP- spaz

Thanks
    lol, mine has yet to discover the water dish. And mine hisses, but it's so quiet and small, my room has to be dead silent for me to hear. So maybe yours does hiss a bit, but you can't hear it, lol.

Thanks
    i only get him when the room is silent because i don't want to scare him with oise but maybe he does hiss. hey is it ok to hold him today since he ate yesterday at 10:30 am? and beliveme when ur discovers the water dish that is where sh will stay lol. as a matter a fact e is their right. i have to change his water excuse me lol.
    Brian
    1.0 JCP- spaz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast