Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

0 members and 3,252 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it love?

Thanks

Is it love?

Bugo the swimming python has a groupie. She is a young firefly. Every time I look in they are almost always together. They have separate hides, but she always squeezes in with him. And he seems almost protective of her. Is it love?
    [IMG][/IMG]

He also doesn't mind when she sits on top of him. They could stay like this for hours. Is it love?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Of course as she gets bigger she will get her own home. But right now I really enjoy the cuteness. Do you guys think pythons can love each other?

Thanks
    Uh. Separate them now. That's not 'love', that's competition. BPs don't 'love' and when you put two in the same space, they compete for warmth and hides. BPs should only be kept together for breeding purposes, when the female is of a proper size, and they should never be kept together on a permanent basis. Other people will argue, but if you're new to BPs, you need to keep them in their own enclosures.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks
    Umm I dont think so they just reproduce and go about there bizz .. u shouldnt keep them together in my opinion .. u may stress one out .. they do better on there own there solitary creatures ...
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Thanks
    Before you all get worked up, I assure you I plan to get her a new home tomorrow. I just got her from a friend who needed to let her go and didn't have her thing set up yet because it was so sudden. I understand the actual repercussions of keeping two pythons in the same place when they aren't breeding. I just thought these situations were cute and photographed them. Enjoy them for what they are. I can't wait for the firefly to grow up. Their future babies will be awesome.

Thanks

Re: Is it love?

Quote Originally Posted by Greengirl View Post
    Before you all get worked up, I assure you I plan to get her a new home tomorrow. I just got her from a friend who needed to let her go and didn't have her thing set up yet because it was so sudden. I understand the actual repercussions of keeping two pythons in the same place when they aren't breeding. I just thought these situations were cute and photographed them. Enjoy them for what they are. I can't wait for the firefly to grow up. Their future babies will be awesome.
    The firefly is very pretty. If you just got her though it's not a great idea to put them in right away with your established collection. You never know what the new snake might bring in and spread to your others. So it's usually a good idea to quarantine new arrivals even if they are from someone you know and trust. They both are very nice though

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrystalRose For This Useful Post:

Tarzan152 (03-11-2014)

Thanks
    From your post, it sounds like they have been together for more than just a few hours. If you didn't have an enclosure for her ready, you should have gotten one set up as soon as you picked her up. I know I've kept little snakes in my bra and went to walmart and petco and places for things I needed after suddenly picking up/rescuing a snake. (Ladies, let me tell you. Your bra is the best place to keep a hatchling ball python. Warm, enclosed... They just lay all nice and flat and don't even move) Not ideal, no, but it's better than stressing both snakes out and risking sickness for both of them.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inarikins View Post
    From your post, it sounds like they have been together for more than just a few hours. If you didn't have an enclosure for her ready, you should have gotten one set up as soon as you picked her up. I know I've kept little snakes in my bra and went to walmart and petco and places for things I needed after suddenly picking up/rescuing a snake. (Ladies, let me tell you. Your bra is the best place to keep a hatchling ball python. Warm, enclosed... They just lay all nice and flat and don't even move) Not ideal, no, but it's better than stressing both snakes out and risking sickness for both of them.
    I think I'm going to have to remember that. We had the heat go out for a few hours back in January. My husband slept with my big normal tucked under his shirt to keep her warm. I had one of my lesser girls under my shirt and the rest were secured in pillow cases and tucked in the bed between us. Luckily the heat was only out for a few hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

I would hope that this new one has been properly quarantined first...
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

CrystalRose (03-11-2014)

Thanks

tisk tisk, always quarantine!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

This is the first thread I open when I get home from work? It's gotta' be time to take a nap...
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Flikky (03-12-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast