Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

3 members and 3,140 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Slightly scared, very interested.

Hello all,

Bit of a background. I have been scared of spiders my whole life. House spiders horrify me. I have only seen a Tarantula a few times in person at a friends house, never held one.

Now, I think they are very pretty animals and I think owning one would be pretty interesting. I believe I will be less scared of T's than I am regular house spiders. They seem to be more calm and their larger legs and bodies seem to make them seem friendlier to me for some reason. I was just wondering if any of you were scared when your got your first T and used it to over come your fear or if you overcame it before getting your first one? I was hoping to go to my local reptile shop and see if they would allow me to hold one and see how it goes.

I know this could be a terrible idea. I just wanted to see if any of you have been in the same boat as me? Talk me out of it or push me towards it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks

Re: Slightly scared, very interested.

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. T's scare me a bit but I'm interested in getting one. I love all my house spiders. Ha. I put them in a cup and take them outside when ever they are in the house. I'm going to wait until I'm a bit more comfortable with Ts before I get one. I don't want to freak out and drop it if it makes a sudden move while I'm holding it. Ive considered getting a baby T and get used to it while it grows but that's all just planning now. If you have a friend with one, you should ask to hold that one regularly so you can get used to it. Good luck..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    No Legs
    1.0 Vanilla Pastel - Knuckle Head a.k.a. Knuckles
    0.1 Mojave - Mojo Jojo a.k.a. Mojo
    1.0 Normal - Scarlos Estevez a.k.a. Scar

2 Legs
    0.1 Wife
    2.3 Kids

4 Legs
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Charlie
    1.0 Guinea Pig - Gary
    0.2 Red Eared Slider - Stella and Senorita Lumpi
    1.1 Pomapoo - Lawson and Lola

8 Legs
    ? Mexican Curly Hair Tarantula - Sir Luscious Left Foot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan152 View Post
    I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. T's scare me a bit but I'm interested in getting one. I love all my house spiders. Ha. I put them in a cup and take them outside when ever they are in the house. I'm going to wait until I'm a bit more comfortable with Ts before I get one. I don't want to freak out and drop it if it makes a sudden move while I'm holding it. Ive considered getting a baby T and get used to it while it grows but that's all just planning now. If you have a friend with one, you should ask to hold that one regularly so you can get used to it. Good luck..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    The idea about getting a spiderling is a very good one. I may consider that! The friend in question no longer lives near me so I can't get to see her unfortunately. As I mentioned though, I will try to get into my local reptile store and see if they will let me hold one

I have no idea what has got me into them, house spiders are horrible! There is something about Taratulas that are fascinating though!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    I own:

The other half owns:

Thanks
    I too am somewhat terrifed of spiders, however I did go to LLL and they let me hold a rose hair. One of the guys there told me he used to be terrified of spiders as well so he bought one and kept it next to his bed, he had it for about 5 years I believe...I am on the fence about getting one. I have thought about going his route to get over my fear, but I honestly don't think I'm ready to care for one.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks
    I was not happy when the wife decided to bring one in the house to confront her fears. I too was afraid of spiders. I watched her care for it and I started doing some reading on them and fear turned to fascination rather quickly. when she told me she was no longer afraid of spiders and had sold it to a collector I was not happy! I ended up buying something like 10 at the next reptile expo because I couldnt make up my mind on which species I liked better. I now keep approximately 300 tarantulas at any given time. she brought that 1st one home just over a year ago. I know have a new addiction. I would recommend looking for a larger sling if that's the route you choose. small ones are difficult to find food for at times. so find something that can eat a 3/8" cricket which is normally the smalls at most pet stores. I often use baby G. roseas to get people over their fear. they are about 1" and most people laugh when you show it to them after they are trembling looking at the 5" adult.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BFE Pets For This Useful Post:

Tarzan152 (03-11-2014)

Thanks
    I tried to get over my fear before I got my first one. Now granted I've only owned a T for 3 days now but it hasn't scared me at all. I used to be TERRIFIED of spiders. Any spider would just freak me out. Example,A few years ago I was visiting a friend of mine in Florida. She got out one of those folding lawn chairs out of her garage for me to sit on so we could enjoy the evening. I sat down on the chair and a couple minutes later this HUGE black spider came up from under the chair ran right up on my leg and onto my lap. I jumped about 4 feet in the air..me,the chair and the spider all went flying. I literally passed out when I hit the ground from shock. It was totally embarrassing and that's when I decided enough was enough and I was going to get over it lol.

The only advice I can really give is if you do get a T,get one of the more docile species to start with. Not all T's are calm and friendly and mellow so do your research first before you bring anything home. They really aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. To be honest I'm fascinated by mine. I just fed her tonight and it was really interesting to watch her eat. Also you don't have to handle it if you get one as a pet. Some people like to but it's not required.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalRose View Post
    I tried to get over my fear before I got my first one. Now granted I've only owned a T for 3 days now but it hasn't scared me at all. I used to be TERRIFIED of spiders. Any spider would just freak me out. Example,A few years ago I was visiting a friend of mine in Florida. She got out one of those folding lawn chairs out of her garage for me to sit on so we could enjoy the evening. I sat down on the chair and a couple minutes later this HUGE black spider came up from under the chair ran right up on my leg and onto my lap. I jumped about 4 feet in the air..me,the chair and the spider all went flying. I literally passed out when I hit the ground from shock. It was totally embarrassing and that's when I decided enough was enough and I was going to get over it lol.

The only advice I can really give is if you do get a T,get one of the more docile species to start with. Not all T's are calm and friendly and mellow so do your research first before you bring anything home. They really aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. To be honest I'm fascinated by mine. I just fed her tonight and it was really interesting to watch her eat. Also you don't have to handle it if you get one as a pet. Some people like to but it's not required.
    Well I hope getting over the fear is going well for you I feel the same, I have had enough of being afraid of them! It is such a burden when it starts to get a bit cold and the spiders make their way to your house for the warmth! I dread it haha!

What T's do you reccommed as a starter one. I really like the Mexican Redknee. I know they can kick hairs but I hear that they rarely bite and are extremely docile. I also think they are great looking, and one of the least intimidating out there! Although it seems they need a lot of substrate and burrow and awful lot. Maybe not ideal.
    Last edited by George1994; 03-11-2014 at 03:22 AM.
    I own:

The other half owns:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Lots of good options, you can't really go wrong with anything brachypelma with vagans and smithi being commonly advised starter Ts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George1994 View Post
    Well I hope getting over the fear is going well for you I feel the same, I have had enough of being afraid of them! It is such a burden when it starts to get a bit cold and the spiders make their way to your house for the warmth! I dread it haha!

What T's do you reccommed as a starter one. I really like the Mexican Redknee. I know they can kick hairs but I hear that they rarely bite and are extremely docile. I also think they are great looking, and one of the least intimidating out there! Although it seems they need a lot of substrate and burrow and awful lot. Maybe not ideal.
    For a first T a rose hair , mexican red knee, mexican red rump , choco golden knee, or a green bottle blue(gbb). They all make good first Ts

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bigt0006; 03-11-2014 at 03:31 AM.
    1.1yellow belly
    1.0 desert enchi
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 het russo
    1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 spider
    2.0 normal

1.0 striped corn
    0.1.0 normal corn

1.0 columbian rianbow boa
    1.0 super hypo bci

0.2 leopard geckos

0.1.0 water dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I think avicularia avicularia makes an awesome starter T simply because they are pretty much impossible to anger. They won't kick hairs and they won't try to bite you. About the worse you can expect from an avic is when they get real scared they'll shoot some poop at you and jump for their lives. They are a bit on the active side until they get used to handling so you need to keep your hands moving to stay under them and stay close to surfaces(on bed, floor, over tables, etc) so they aren't injured if they decide to jump.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

BFE Pets (03-11-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast