Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,449

2 members and 3,447 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake Personalities...pretty different..

Hey,

Figured i'd make a post of this because it is both funny and annoying..

We have two Ball Pythons, one male and one female, both aprox the same age and length but the male is the smaller (girth wise, he was thin when we got him but he is getting some weight on him) anyways.

Our Spider ball...super friendly, loves coming out and head rubs and roaming around..and every time we bring food into the room (noodles, pizza, grilled cheese, anything) she pokes her head out of her hides and watches.

Our Pastel, when inside his terrarium, shy, jumpy, doesnt like being bothered (he hisses every once in a while when we open up his cage and go near him) but never strikes. gets startled easy, but after 5-10 mins of being out and about with us, warms right up. Doesn't mind head rubs, will crawl around and just chill. which is completely different from him in his cage. Another odd thing, he doesnt use his cool hide often...He would rather snuggle in behind a fake tree branch behind his side and rest his head on the tree or his hide. (been about 2 months since we have had him so he is well settled into his tank, so hoping over time he mellows out a bit more.)

It's crazy what kind of personalities they have, because they all seem to be pretty different which is amusing.. what kind of personalities does your reptiles have folks?

shifty
    New Brunswick, Canada.
    Male Pastel & Female Spider

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I used to have a Pastel Lesser that was possessed by the spirit of Satan himself... He's the only Ball Python I've ever met that goes against my signature line
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Doggey75 (03-09-2014),Shifty11 (03-09-2014),wannabereptileguy (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    dam slim I was telling a friend today I have a pastel girl I got she was 2 years old when I got her and had her for almost a year and she hates me .. she still tries to stike at me everyday even thru her tub when im in the snake room .. from day one when I opened the box its been on lol
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    All our ball pythons vary. Some are not head shy and some will arc their back like a cat and hiss when touched. Our yellowbelly female has been a little booger since we got her and always struck at us. She hasent struck in awhile but isnt the friendliest of my snakes. Our brazilians and carpet are definitely our chillest snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    All but two of mine are pet rocks. Of those two, one must be part viper; if she's not in her hide when you slide her tub out of the rack, she comes out striking. The other is a little love bug; when you slide open his tub he comes out and tries to climb up your arm, chest, hair, etc.

Registered User Seemingly_Harmless's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have a 10 month old male that likes to look at ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. If someone enters the room, he pokes his head out of a hide and needs to look and see who it is and he will turn his head in any direction that they go in. He does this to humans as well as any animal. He's the most curious little snake~ He also loves to be held. When I pick him up he wraps himself on me and finds a comfy spot (my arm, shoulder, neck, lap, ect) where he chills - but when try to put him back in his cage, he tightens up his body on my arm as if to say "no daddy! not yet!".
    Last edited by Seemingly_Harmless; 03-11-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks
    Its always interesting to hear about other reptiles personalities.
    New Brunswick, Canada.
    Male Pastel & Female Spider

Thanks
    My BP is the mellowest snake ever. He hides all day long, and then comes out to roam around his tank in the early mornings. If I happen to take him out of his tank, he'll wait for me to get settled, then he'll start to do his thing. Whether it's to get to the ground to start exploring or climbing all over my glasses and headset when I'm at my computer. Sometimes he'll just wrap around my neck and just chill there until its time for me to go to sleep. He's never hissed or made any noises at all. And the last time he ate (This was a while ago) he didn't even bother striking, he just sort of slid around the rat and then coiled it to eat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    My ball pythons, so far as I can tell so far, are idiots. Lovable all the same, but not smart. In fact, my main moral dilemma as a BP keeper is the fact that we have to feed animals that are so smart (rats) to ones that are basically as dumb as logs.

I'm working on a Snake Tracker App! If you have any ideas or suggestions on features, feel free to post them in the Development Thread! I'll also be posting updates on the development of this program in this thread!

Thanks

Re: Snake Personalities...pretty different..

My little guy, Severus is very funny. I only got him about a month ago but I have learned pretty quickly that he is not too fond of my boyfriend (taylor). He cowers from him and when he gets really scared I cup my hands so he can hide his head. In about a few minutes or so he feels brave again and pokes his head out. The other night too Sev was just staring at Taylor and he almost looked like he wanted to strike at him! I had to take Sev away from him. Taylor was a bit freaked to say the least.
    He is a very funny little guy. I just adore him!

Thanks

Re: Snake Personalities...pretty different..

The part about the rat made me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT3g View Post
    My BP is the mellowest snake ever. He hides all day long, and then comes out to roam around his tank in the early mornings. If I happen to take him out of his tank, he'll wait for me to get settled, then he'll start to do his thing. Whether it's to get to the ground to start exploring or climbing all over my glasses and headset when I'm at my computer. Sometimes he'll just wrap around my neck and just chill there until its time for me to go to sleep. He's never hissed or made any noises at all. And the last time he ate (This was a while ago) he didn't even bother striking, he just sort of slid around the rat and then coiled it to eat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast