Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

3 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

help with building ideas

Ok so here in the next week I wana build ak a new enclosure the 20 gallon tanks gata go its driving me crazy I want to use the length of the 20 gallon but want to add some hight will that length be ok for him his entire life becouse we want this to be his last and final home enclosure also we want some hight so he can have trees and things high enough he can actually climb so what do you guys think would be ok as in hight wise also im trying to be sneaky josh wont let me have another snake so want his current enclosure empty so I have the excuse to get another guy so shhh lol but any way also want to make it so the doors open in the front so should I use just plexy glass the rest is going to be completly closed so need some ideas as to what type of wood I should build it out of so I dont have to worry about it molding and or rotting also I know I will have to seal it so what should I seal it with so it will be safe for him sorry so many questions just want to make sure this enclosure is safe for him another thing should I make sure it is completly sealed for humidity and heat or should I make half of the top of the cage wire topped to release some of the heat and humidity also any ideas you guys have mabey something I dident ask about please tell me I know some of you have built your own so help me
    Last edited by akskeeper; 03-06-2014 at 02:54 AM. Reason: realized I had some spelling errors
    AKs keeper

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    3/4" Melamine is my favorite for cage building but if you don't mind the extra work getting some good quality plywood, sanding it, staining it, and sealing with a good poly and silicone is the way to go. You can bring out the grain of the wood and make some outstanding looking enclosures. In my opinion, if you are going to have over head lighting, the screen used for the light(s) is plenty of room for air exchange to keep things from getting stagment. As far as height, not sure if they will use it much. I have always kept balls in racks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Re: help with building ideas

<< Agrees with using a PVC type material in building your cage.

For size, there are quite a few options. I'd recommend going with 36 wide cause the 30 as a 20L tank is won't be enough unless you are going to make the enclosure deep. Depth, I'd go 15-24inches deep. For height, they don't climb much when they are older/bigger so 15-18inches is fine.

This is my opinion and what I would go with/recommend. I recently purchased a load of 36x24x18 PVC cages for a variety of snakes, 4 of which are BPs.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)