Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

4 members and 3,120 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,552
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
    Thanks

Really worried about my snake, please help?

Hi. I have a ball python, I've had him for two years. I just moved across the country and drove with him from the south to the north. I feel like maybe the car ride and huge temperature change might have stressed him out and caused him to act erratically? Otherwise I don't know what could have caused this.

But basically after I moved in, I set up his tank and he moved into a spot right under his heat lamp and stayed there for a full day without moving. Then yesterday he randomly started slithering around his tank faster than I've ever seen him move before. He's usually pretty slow and calm. He likes to try to explore and escape but it's never been so frantic looking. He was moving his head around kind of wildly. He also has been scraping his head against things and soaking a bit... which is fairly normal for him about to go into shed, which is what I thought was going on. But today I looked over and noticed him scraping his face repeatedly against a bark hide he has in his tank. He kept scraping his face against the bark in the same spot and I noticed that it looks red and sore there... there's a small spot at the base of his mouth kind of on his cheek on the left side of his head. I've never seen this happen before? And he kept scraping the same spot... I have absolutely no idea why. I took the bark out of his cage so he wouldn't have anything rough to keep irritating the spot.

At first I thought his moving around so much was because he was hungry (he's a bit overdue to be fed because of the move) but now I'm concerned something else is wrong because of the sore on his face. Should I still feed him? I'm worried about him being hungry but I don't want to give him a mouse if he's sick or hurting.

Please help, I'm at a loss and really worried about him.
    Last edited by marenkae; 03-03-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks

Re: Really worried about my snake, please help?

do you have pictures

Thanks
    Don't worry about the feeding for right now. They can go a LONG time without - as in months. And some do go off feed on their own without any negative effects.

Right now I'd focus on what the sore is. Unfortunately I have no idea what it could be. Try doing some digging, Googling, etc. on snake infections or sores, that sort of thing. Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here!

Otherwise I'd advise a vet trip, to air on the safe side. But to an *experienced* snake and reptile vet! Not just any ole' vet.

Best of luck, and I hope things improve.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Pics would help.

Triple check the temps in the enclosure. Especially be aware of things like sunlight through a window hitting the tank in its new location.

They can start the whole settling in process simply by moving their tank from one place to another in the same room.

Also check for mites and see if he is in shed.

But mainly pics of the injury so we can see how worried you should be.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Mites was the first thing that came to mind when I read this, but if the temp during the move got too hot for an extended period, it could be a neurological issue. It's not unheard of for an overheated BP to develop problems.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

Picture update

okay here's a photo I tried to take of the sore spot, sorry it's not the best quality

Registered User BallPythonGuy007's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm interesting. I've never sen this before. I would really stress on getting this checked out. As NH93 said, do some googling. I'm think vet though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonGuy007 View Post
    Hmm interesting. I've never sen this before. I would really stress on getting this checked out. As NH93 said, do some googling. I'm think vet though
    Yep I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. And even though I took the bark out of his cage, he still periodically will rub that spot against the walls and floor of the tank. I'm hoping they won't hurt him any more because all the surfaces are smooth. I just don't know what else to do for him and I'm really anxious about this. Thanks everyone for trying to help out.