Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

1 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Walking Dead kills Rattlesnake

So what do you guys think, think this was a real live rattlesnake that they killed for television?

Warning: Possible snake death:
    http://www.tvfanatic.com/videos/the-...ke-that-snake/

Interview:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuTiCfK3Fg

Source:
    http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/02/23...snake-is-real/

This is absolutely disgusting.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    A real snake up to the cut edit where he strikes with the knife. Fake mechanical snake after that. Couple reasons. A show as popular as this one, on a network as large as this one, does not want to run afoul of animal rights groups. And, I don't care how bad ass an actor portrays themselves to be in their roles, you are gonna' be hard pressed to find one who's gonna' straight up take out a rattle snake like that.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (08-25-2015)

Thanks

Re: Walking Dead kills Rattlesnake

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    A real snake up to the cut edit where he strikes with the knife. Fake mechanical snake after that. Couple reasons. A show as popular as this one, on a network as large as this one, does not want to run afoul of animal rights groups. And, I don't care how bad ass an actor portrays themselves to be in their roles, you are gonna' be hard pressed to find one who's gonna' straight up take out a rattle snake like that.
    i hope you're right, i've been watching it up to that but it doesn't look fake for the cut. i've been told they're not the best at their CGI/props

sure hope it wasn't real but i know tons of people don't really care for snakes; especially rattlesnakes =\

Thanks
    It was just confirmed on The Talking Dead that it was an actual Rattlesnake and not a prop. I am thoroughly disgusted with the show and the channel and will no longer be watching it anymore.

0.1 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko | Joy
    0.1 Sumatran Short-tailed Python | Angela
    1.0 Normal Ball Python | Basilis
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu | Romeo
    1.0 Cat | Marshall
    0.1 Striped Skunk | Lucy

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pansnake View Post
    It was just confirmed on The Talking Dead that it was an actual Rattlesnake and not a prop.
    I'm not sure I choose to believe that...The Walking / Talking Dead people, that is...
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Yeah, they are opening themselves up to a lot of legal trouble if it was a real snake. I can believe that it was a real rattler up until the pin, but then a prop afterwards- he might have even given the prop rattle away. Also, don't rattles shed/come off?

0.1 Normal Ball Python 'Tali'
    0.1 Western Hognose 'Argo'
    1.0 Jack Russell Terrier 'Keiko'
    0.1 Mexican Golden Red Rump Tarantula 'Charlotte'
    ----
    "Some Day"
    -Blood Python
    -Hoggs Island Boa
    -Red Tail Boa (Sunglow)
    -Mexican Black Kingsnake
    -Rosy Boa
    -Sand Boa
    -More BP's (Bumblebee, Pied, Pastel)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kilopular View Post
    So what do you guys think, think this was a real live rattlesnake that they killed for television?

Warning: Possible snake death:
    http://www.tvfanatic.com/videos/the-...ke-that-snake/

Interview:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuTiCfK3Fg

Source:
    http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/02/23...snake-is-real/

This is absolutely disgusting.

Not sure how this isn't common knowledge but, you have cannot injure animals for television or movies. You would risk losing your licence to film and face some hefty fines not to mention the bad press. You will see info regarding the measures taken to ensure animal safety and comfort right in the credits.
    That does not preclude a humane and, legal harvest of the animal after filming.
    I've never understood the reaction of some reptile keepers when reptiles become food and clothing. Provided of course the animal is not being killed out of pure ignorance and irrational fear. And, that it is done quickly and humanely.
    We are directly responsible through the keeping of the animals we do, whether we feed live, P/K or, F/T the deaths of many times the number of semi-intelligent creatures. That is nature and, as breath takingly beautiful as it can be there is at its' core a primal harshness.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raven01 For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-01-2014),NH93 (03-03-2014),sorraia (03-03-2014),wolfy-hound (08-25-2015)

Thanks
    I'm certain that a lot of reptile keepers actually do not have issues with reptiles being used for food or clothing, Raven01, however I would like to believe that a lot of should have issues with animal exploitation which is actually very prevalent in Hollywood . Exploiting animals in this manner is unnecessary as it's purpose is for entertainment to make money which is not ethical and should not be promoted.
    It has been heavily implied by one of the actors in the TWD that the snake was real and in one of the interviews that a piece of the snake (later confirmed to be the rattler in the after show for TWD) was given so from what I have seen and read, it seems pretty clear that the snake did not leave that set unharmed.
    The Ball Pythons
    0.1 2002 normal "Noodle", 1.0 2011 albino "Mosh", 0.1 2011 pinstripe "Pepper", 1.0 2009 lesser "Cato, 0.1 2010 spider "Phoebe", 1.0 2011 pastel 50% het. hypo "Toad", 0.1 2012 black pewter "Pomona", 0.1 2013 kingpin "Marvel", 0.0.7 lesserxspider eggs

The Others
    0.1 2013 p. baroni "Hyacinth", 0.1 2013 CB g. oxycephala "Laurasia", 1.0 2013 T+ albino p. brongersmai "Reinhardt", 1.0 2012 CH g. oxycephala "Gondwana"

The Dearly Departed
    0.1 2012-2013 hypo black pastel "Dexter"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterKyte For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (03-04-2014),Shann (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Well, if it was an actual rattlesnake, and they did kill and eat it, what is wrong with that?

How is it any different than a squirrel, a rabbit, fish, a deer or any other animal they have killed on film for the purpose of a similar scene?

As long as it was done quickly, and the snake didn't suffer needlessly for a long time leading up to the scene, then so be it.

I know as snake lovers, and in particular when it comes to things that even resemble mistreatment of snakes, like Sweetwater's Rattlesnake Roundup, we tend to be a little less forgiving and a little quicker to jump to battle. But be honest with yourself, do you feel the same way when a scene showing people fishing and then cleaning and eating the fish comes on ?

I know I've seen squirrel and rabbits hunted, killed and eaten on television before. The deer thing might be faked, but it might not be every single time, I think it's possible actual deer have been hunted and killed once or twice.

Now please don't get me wrong, I am not condoning making any animal suffer needlessly, just for a stupid television show or movie. But I don't think going off the deep end over something like this is a good thing either.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

Adroit (05-20-2014),ballpythonluvr (04-30-2014),I-KandyReptiles (03-03-2014),KMG (05-01-2014),wolfy-hound (08-25-2015)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Well, if it was an actual rattlesnake, and they did kill and eat it, what is wrong with that?

How is it any different than a squirrel, a rabbit, fish, a deer or any other animal they have killed on film for the purpose of a similar scene?

As long as it was done quickly, and the snake didn't suffer needlessly for a long time leading up to the scene, then so be it.

I know as snake lovers, and in particular when it comes to things that even resemble mistreatment of snakes, like Sweetwater's Rattlesnake Roundup, we tend to be a little less forgiving and a little quicker to jump to battle. But be honest with yourself, do you feel the same way when a scene showing people fishing and then cleaning and eating the fish comes on ?

I know I've seen squirrel and rabbits hunted, killed and eaten on television before. The deer thing might be faked, but it might not be every single time, I think it's possible actual deer have been hunted and killed once or twice.

Now please don't get me wrong, I am not condoning making any animal suffer needlessly, just for a stupid television show or movie. But I don't think going off the deep end over something like this is a good thing either.

Gale

We'll said, Gale.

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast