Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

0 members and 3,281 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Leopard Gecko Death

So I woke up this morning and found that one of my Leos had passed away. It was somewhat unexpected however I had noticed about a week ago that her tail had been getting kind of thin. My main concern at this point is that my geckos (I had 2 females and a male) reside in one of the racks that also contains my BPs. Does anyone here know anything about possible risks to my BPs and whether or not the two species can pass the same types of parasites to eachother? I would imagine they can but was hoping someone could shed some more light on it. This is the first time I've had a reptile and I am a little nervous because in the tub below them is my lesser and he had a re-gurge a little over a month ago. He seems to be OK now and hasn't lost much weight. I realize it is time for a Vet visit but any advice is appreciated.

J

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: Leopard Gecko Death

If the other geckos aren't showing any signs it might not be parasites. Her tail thinning may be from perhaps the other geckos not letting her eat(I'm not sure if a month or two is long enough for them to starve, but it could have weakened her significantly and she became stressed) or if she was old that could be part of it. Personally, I would get a necropsy done and/or get stool samples from the other geckos just to be safe. As for the affects on the balls, if it is in fact parasites it could very well affect the balls, the specific effect though depends on the type. So, as I said before I'd test to be safe.

Thanks

Re: Leopard Gecko Death

I considered stress as well. I didn't see any "bullying" going on but then again when they were awake, I was sleeping. I'm going to separate the remaining two just to be safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My Leo went about a month without food and he is a juvenile. I think he was already thin before he stopped eating or he was sick.
    Reptiles
    5.0 Normal Ball Python (Ares, Poseidon, Hermes, Zeus,Spots)
    1.0 Striped Blood Corn Snake (Apollo)
    1.0 Lemon Blast BP (Hades)
    0.1 Bumble Bee (Athena)
    0.1 Pastel (Hera)
    1.0 Hypo Leopard Gecko (Jupiter)

Dogs
    1.0 Chihuahua (Peanut)
    0.1 Morkie (Bella)
    0.1 Pitbull (Roxy)

Rodents
    2.0 Chinese Dwarf Hamsters (Bubbles and Nitro)\
    0.1 Normal Chinchilla (Chloe)