Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

0 members and 3,198 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Question

Thanks

Food Question

We've been feeding our juvenile beardie small crickets; however, he seems to be going through them at a very rapid pace (went through 50 in about two days and went through 100 in about three or four days). We've been purchasing the crickets from Petsmart at 11 cents each, and I was wondering whether we would be better off purchasing the crickets online. If so, what online retailer do you recommend for crickets?

In reading through the non-rodent feeder forum, I notice a lot of recommendations for dubias instead of crickets. Is the general consensus here that dubias are better (both in terms of for the beardie, as well as ease of maintaining) than crickets? If so, do you have a recommendation as to where I can buy the dubias, as well as whatever equipment I will need to house them?

Thanks in advance for helping out this beardie newbie.
    ~Jay
    ---------------
    Two normal male BPs, one super pastel female BP, and a hypo citrus trans bearded dragon. All BPs in a 5 tub Reptile Basics CB-70 rack. Beardie in a 20 gallon long tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Re: Food Question

Dubias are a million times easier than crickets. And they don't smell at all!

You'll need a plastic tub to house them in, a food dish, and a water dish. And some egg crates or paper towel rolls for them to hide in. If you keep them warmer they breed more prolifically so maybe a heat pad or piece of flexwatt too. Start up cost for all that would be under $30. You can get all that at Walmart and get the flex Watt online or a heat pad at a pet store.

I'd recommend getting them from Creature Addiction or BFE pets and supply.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Ya our beardie used to chomp through soo many crickets, we started feeding super worms, wax worms, meal worms and dubias and now he wants nothing to do with crickets. I would love to start a dubia colony, I just gotta convince the wife first, she doesn't like the idea of growing roaches.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dubias are better for many reasons

• 1 More protein compare to Crickets
    • 2 A lot cleaner, crickets stinks really bad.
    • 3 Crickets tend to die off very easily Dubias do not
    • 4 Crickets will cannibalize each other, Dubias do not
    • 5 Crickets will jump out & escape, you do not have that problem with Dubia if kept properly.

Here is how I keep mine,

A tub, and egg cartons are all you need.

They are kept in the snake room it’s perfect for them, if you can’t do that you can use a heat pad such as this http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrath...ter-uth-6-x-23 to provide temps in the upper 80’s low 90's.

For food I use a variety

This http://www.ebay.com/itm/321294013547...84.m1439.l2649 + this http://www.ebay.com/itm/310727822073...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or this alone http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/r...ug-burger.html (food and water all in one)

And I feed my left over geckos food as well.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Dubias are a million times easier than crickets. And they don't smell at all!

You'll need a plastic tub to house them in, a food dish, and a water dish. And some egg crates or paper towel rolls for them to hide in. If you keep them warmer they breed more prolifically so maybe a heat pad or piece of flexwatt too. Start up cost for all that would be under $30. You can get all that at Walmart and get the flex Watt online or a heat pad at a pet store.

I'd recommend getting them from Creature Addiction or BFE pets and supply.

Thanks. I tried finding Creature Addiction and BFE online, but didn't have any luck. I ended up ordering 100 from buydubiaroaches.com and am about to order some breeders from abdragons.com. Will try to let you all know how it goes.
    ~Jay
    ---------------
    Two normal male BPs, one super pastel female BP, and a hypo citrus trans bearded dragon. All BPs in a 5 tub Reptile Basics CB-70 rack. Beardie in a 20 gallon long tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BPGuy View Post
    Thanks. I tried finding Creature Addiction and BFE online, but didn't have any luck. I ended up ordering 100 from buydubiaroaches.com and am about to order some breeders from abdragons.com. Will try to let you all know how it goes.
    That's surprising they didn't have any, considering they both breed them fairly large scale. Weird

1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    This will sound weird but will Dubias bite your lizard? I have a crested gecko and I tried my first feeding with crickets today and one of the crickets kept attacking my gecko even though I used the bug burger gut load for 2 days prior. I had to rescue my poor gecko. Also Dubia freak me out less than crickets which I also find more appealing.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kir.davis View Post
    This will sound weird but will Dubias bite your lizard? I have a crested gecko and I tried my first feeding with crickets today and one of the crickets kept attacking my gecko even though I used the bug burger gut load for 2 days prior. I had to rescue my poor gecko. Also Dubia freak me out less than crickets which I also find more appealing.
    You need crested gecko diet, this is the main part of their diet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You need crested gecko diet, this is the main part of their diet.

Thanks, I already use cgd as the staple for my gecko. I was asking if Dubias will bite my lizard like a cricket when I give my gecko extra nutrition 1-2 times a week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kir.davis View Post
    Thanks, I already use cgd as the staple for my gecko. I was asking if Dubias will bite my lizard like a cricket when I give my gecko extra nutrition 1-2 times a week.
    I have never heard of a dubia biting. They aren't aggressive, and they'll even play dead. They are much slower than crickets, too, so they would probably be easier for your gecko to catch.
    1.0 2013 Firefly
    1.0 2013 Black Pastel
    1.0 2013 Cinnamon
    0.1 2015 Leopard Butter Pastel
    0.1 2015 Stinger Bee
    0.1 2016 Pastel Pinstripe Disco Fire
    0.1 2015 Dumeril's Boa

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bumblebee1028 For This Useful Post:

kir.davis (05-03-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast