Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,742

3 members and 1,739 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ball python

Thanks

New Ball python

Hello everyone! My name is Brandy and I just acquired a normal male ball that is about a year old on the 5th of this month. The previous Owner was feeding him a fuzzy mouse every 7 days. I immediately went to small mouse and have been feeding every 5 days.... but think he probably needs even bigger as when I feed him, I can't see anything after it gets to where it is suppose to be going. He was pretty thin as well.... When I got him, he still had part of his old shed on him. He just shed in the last week and it all came off perfect. He is a great eater, eating f/t without any difficulty. Did strike at me a couple times at first, but I then checked out this board and decided to leave him be for a few days. He is in an Exo Terra 18x18x18, has 3 different hides a climbing log and a water bowl. I have a 10-20 gallon UTH currently but think I probably need to get a bigger one. If I do purchase a bigger one, I would definitely need a thermostat but have no idea where to buy one from (suggestions?)..As far as I have seen they only come 10-20 and 30-40...but this tank is aprox 25 gallons..?? I am happy we got him, everyone keeps telling me that he will hurt my kids and I am getting tired of trying to educate them on size of these pythons. I will continue to visit this site regularly. And please forgive me now if I have some pretty stupid questions!

Thanks
    That size prey item is nowhere near enough for a year old ball! You should be feeding him food about the size of the widest part of his body! That tank is also a no where near the size of the tank he needs... You 100% need a thermostat... Is this a joke?

Please read this http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s%29-Caresheet
    Last edited by George1994; 02-24-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks
    Seeing as you may not be joking, you will want a vivarium like this http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...4--332974.html

It should be plenty big enough for a male. You need a temperature gradient from one side to the other. The warm end about 92°F and cold end about 78-80°F. There should be two hides at either end, one over the UTH which should cover about 1/3 the floor space of the viv.

You will want a thermostat like this http://www.eurorep.co.uk/heating/the...mp-thermostat- to control the temperature. You will also want a thermometer and a hygrometer to measure the temperature and humidity. Get a water bowl, some orchid bark substrate and you are good to go.
    Last edited by George1994; 02-24-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks

Re: New Ball python

Okay first off thanks for the helpful reply....not the first one.... I have read many care sheets regarding Balls, have been researching them since September....second I thought you shouldn't get an enclosure too big and should increase the size as he grows. Most say a 20 gallon is suitable for a younger ball python....which is why I chose the current one. ...I got him and a 10 gallon aquarium with day/night bulbs from the previous owner. I upgraded to the current enclosure...which I think is actually too big for him now.. He is probably about 15 inches long.... he isn't a big snake and the mice I have been feeding him are just a tad smaller than his widest girth....which is why I stated I probably needed to increase their size. Also I bought an UTH when he was still in the smaller enclosure.....My question was where to buy a thermostat...as any of the pet stores I have looked didn't carry them. I also bought a digital laser thermometer and have been measuring the temps on all sides. Highest is right over the UTH with a hide and that was sitting at 90, the other hide on the opposite side was sitting at 79......His shed was perfect....so doesn't that mean his enclosure is correct?? I do have a stupid spin dial hygrometer for the humidity and am upgrading that....

Thanks

second picture was the within the first week we got him, that is my 9 year old holding him and she is about the size of a typical 7 year old.... The first picture is him eating the small mouse, which gives you a sense of his size/girth

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    See if you can't get him switched over to rats as soon as practical. You'll find it easier to feed him with rats in the future. They come in more appropriate sizes for BPs.

The problem with your tank is that it tall, but has a small footprint. You'll want to create a temp gradient so your BP can thermo regulate as it pleases. An 18 sq inch foot print is pretty small for doing that. BPs are terrestrial snakes, They really don't need the height that your enclosure provides.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

Thank you for your response Slim! I will look into getting a short/wide one then. Why does Exo terra say this tank is good for young balls if it really isn't? Luckily I got it at a steal and can probably sell pretty easily. I saw a picture of size comparisons of rats to mice....I think it was here??...does anyone know where that picture was? As I didn't save it to my computer.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyL1193 View Post
    Why does Exo terra say this tank is good for young balls if it really isn't?
    Because Exo-Terra likes your money almost as much as you do... It's not like your BP is in imminent danger. He'll be fine in that enclosure until you can make other arrangements.

I think the picture you are referring to is on the Rodent Pro website.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

BrandyL1193 (02-24-2014)

Thanks
    Unfortunately. they advertise things incorrectly. I saw at the pet store today a plastic critter keeper being advertised for ball pythons. It's 14.5" x 8.75" x 9.75". It seems dumb to me that companies are allowed to advertise something that is so obviously inappropriate.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMoriarty For This Useful Post:

BrandyL1193 (02-24-2014),NH93 (02-24-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George1994 View Post
    Is this a joke?
    Completely unecessary, in my opinion. The OP sounds quite genuine to me, and sounds like they are doing a better job at taking care of this ball python than the previous owner, even if some tuning up is required.
    The set up this person is describing is far from terrible, considering some of the people who post on here and believe their set ups are okay.

OP, the fact that the last shed came off perfect says something about your husbandry, so there's an A for effort
    I think 3 hides is great! The size of your tank also doesn't concern me, as yes, young pythons should be housed in smaller tanks - at a year old, typically a larger vive would be necessary but seeing as this one sounds quite underefed I wouldn't worry about it for now. In the future you can get some really great used finds online and for cheap.

But yes, as mentioned you do NEED a thermostat!!
    These work well if you have a couple of snakes http://www.amazon.ca/Jumpstart-Digit...art+thermostat

I'd be bumping that python to a rat as well, of about 10% body weight (or as wide as the widest part of the snake's body, as again mentioned by a very helpful forum member)!

Best of luck, and continue doing research! Please don't feel discouraged. You came to the right place for help, and that really is what we all try to do here (well, most of us).
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

BrandyL1193 (02-24-2014),Pokersnake (02-25-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast