Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

3 members and 3,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    hey, i just got a ball python from a pet shop, and the ignorant pricks didnt know nethin bout it so i was hopin u guys could help me out a bit.

i dont know how old he is but i measured him and hes bout 3 and a half feet long. is he fully grown if not how old do u think he is?

also 1 of his eyes are silver im guessing its from a shed they did say he recently started shedding. will this go away on its own or is there some way i have to remove it?

do i have to give him a bath?

they said hes been eatin 2 small mice 1nce a week does this sound good for a snake of this size?

sorry for all the questions but this is my first snake, and i dont want the poor guy to get messed up, they werent takin very good care of him so i wanna make sure i do a better job.

Thanks,
    Sean

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

a couple questions

Sean:
    By silver, what do you mean? If it looks cloudy, it may be an unshed eyecap from a former incomplete shed. You can soak a q-tip in mineral oil and try to gently slide it off, or just up the humidity for the next few days until he sheds again.
    In terms of baths, most snakes will soak on their own if they feel too dry. Not much active bathing is needed for him.
    2 small mice for a snake that size sounds like WAY too little. I would move him up to a medium or large rat.
    Not sure about the size/growth, every snake is different.
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-
    ....and lots and lots of feeder mousies.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah that silver eye sounds like a retained eyecap to me too. I just hope it wasn't from a long time ago or it could be permanent, and from the way you describe the people who owned it before, it just might be.
    If he is 3 1/2 feet long he is most like between 1-2 years old though could be older. Make sure you have a big enough tank for him, I think 30 or 40 gal tank is ok, most likely 40gal. Also make sure to get at least 1 digital thermometer/hygrometer to measure the humidity and temps in the tank. Please ask any other questions you have, even if you think they are silly to ask. The more you ask the better off your BP will be.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake *Princess Elysia*
    0.1 Miami Phase Cornsnake *Leila*
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    definitely move your new guy up to eating rats--he's probably hungry! do you have any pics of his tank? we like to check out eachother's setups, and it also enables us to give you feedback and ideas. i hope you can get that eyecap off pretty easily. welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new snake!
    - Emily

Thanks
    hey guys thanks a lot for the great replys.

i took my snake to the tub ang gave his eye a gentle rub with a wet q tip. and the eye cap came right off, im sure hes just as relieved as i am.

As for pics i posted 1 in the pictures section but none with the whole cage. ill go take a few pics now and post em in this thread, u guys can tell me what i need to fix.

Thanks again for the replys,
    Sean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    what a relief on the eyecap. i'm so glad it come off easily for you. i'll check back soon for your tank pics.
    - Emily

Thanks

here it is.

Thanks

heres a pic wit a standard cd as reference.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ok, here are my ideas :

1. like Alkaurkharim said, you definitely want to pick up a digital thermometer/hygrometer to measure your temps and humidity. you can get the accurite model at walmart for $15. it will give you a much more accurate reading. you want to create a heat gradient in the tank, with the cool side being around 80 and the hot side being around 90. also humidity should be about 50-60% except when your snake is in shed, at which time you should raise it to 70-80%.

2. what kind of bulb do you have in the light? looks like maybe a black light from the reflection on the water dish? if it is a black light then that is a good choice. you can also use a red infrared bulb. since bps are nocturnal, they do not require any kind of daylight or incandescent bulb.

3. many people like to use a heat pad to achieve the correct temps on the hot side of the tank. this also provides belly heat which helps the snake digest its food. you can get this from walmart for about $10. just make sure you get one that does not have auto shut off.

4. ball pythons appreciate small, tight hiding places. the log you have looks like it might be a little big. you can make your own hide out of a cereal box, a plant pot, or other stuff you find around the house. the bowl you have is good--a lot of people's snakes like them a lot. just make sure to always have 2 hides--one on the cool side and one on the warm side.

5. your choice of the astroturf substrate is good. i like to keep a second piece on hand for when i am cleaning the first one.

6. if you want to add more interest to the tank you can add fake plants, an aquarium background, or any plastic decorations or hides. some people's snakes like to climb, so the vines and plants give them a place to do that, plus it looks nice for you :wink: .

well, i think i have gone on for quite long enough here . let us know if you have more questions.
    - Emily

Thanks
    mlededee hit it pretty good. I'll add that i would cut that piece of astroturf/carpet to fit inside the tank. If you do end up getting a heating pad you wouldnt want your little guy to be able to crawl under one of those flaps, get on top of the heating pad, and burn himself. I would also definitely get the digital thermometer/hygrometer to measure your temps and humidity.

Welcome to the site! Glad you joined us
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast