Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,356

1 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Ball python not eating

So I have a female ball python. She hasn't eaten since November. I know sometimes they go off food without cause or from season or breeding. I lowered the temps in the tank just slightly. My main question is how long is normal for a brumation/breeding fast and what is acceptable weight loss in that period before I should worry?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    We have had females go off food for 6 months during breeding. I would keep an eye on her weight and make sure it dont drop too much. They usually dont lose too much weight until they lay their eggs

Thanks

Re: Ball python not eating

I know they do, my question was how much weight is acceptable to lose before I should be concerned? She is 3 years old and weighs 1,450g aprox, and i was wondering at what point should i see a vet, if she loses 10g? 20g? 50g? I need a range here.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1# Ball Python do not brumate

2# Fast can last up to a year

3# The fact that you lowered the temps is a contributing factor to your female not eating.

4# There is no specific acceptable weight loss it is a case by case and has to do more with the overall look of the animal then the weight itself, animal fasting 6 months or a year actually hardly lose any weight.

5# A vet is not necessary, in many case they do not really understand BP behaviour and/or metabolism and see problem where there is none.

6# Make sure your husbandry is optimal, if your female is not breeding there is no reason to lower your temps, ideally you want to provide temps of 76/78 and 86/88. You also want to make sure to provide proper humidity, adequate enclosure size and proper hides.

7# Alternative prey is never a solution the solution is optimal husbandry and PATIENCE.

I had females that size fasting for 6, 9 or even 12 months.
    Deborah Stewart